ANNOUNCEMENT: Harvard T-Party - 12/6/08

Old college threads.
grapesmoker
Sin

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Harvard T-Party - 12/6/08

Post by grapesmoker »

No Rules Westbrook wrote:They won't thank you now, they'll just whimper about your negging, but they'll understand when Aaron Rosenberg wins Nats on the last tossup.
Aaron Rosenberg is clutch as fuck.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

Yeah, I also want to apologize for how late (and below tournament difficulty) Michigan's packet was. It looks like y'all at Harvard did a fine job; I thought that our packet had some wild swings in bonus difficulty and a lot were easily 20 or 30able. I'll be interested to hear what people think of the tossups, as we had a lot of first time writers (I think 5 to be exact, in addition to 4 or 5 slightly more experienced writers) collaborate on that packet.
Andy Kravis
Michigan '09
Columbia Law, '13
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

I should give a big, big, big thank you to Mike Bentley, Matt Weiner, Jonathan Magin, Dartmouth, and the entire state of California: those five polities wrote packets even though they didn't plan on playing anywhere at all. Further thanks go to Michigan for writing half a packet while it planned to attend the Lawrence mirror and still finishing that packet after learning it would not be attending, and of course Rob Carson Minnesota for writing a packet despite attending the Lawrence mirror.

I also have to thank Chicago, Brown, Hampshire, Brandeis, and Kennedy/Yetman for writing packets. in particular, I have to thank Brandeis, whose packet was in my inbox on 11/9. (Mike Bentley's arrived shortly thereafter, too.) As you can tell, freelance packets and packets from other sites allowed this tournament to happen; packets that arrived early allowed this tournament to avoid being worse.

More to come when I can see straight.
Andrew Watkins
jhn31
Wakka

Post by jhn31 »

I played at the Alabama mirror and I thought the questions were fantastic. Still a bit hard for our team, but we're getting there. This was the most fun I've had at a tournament in a while.
Harry, Mississippi State
Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

I want to thank everyone who wrote free lance packets and questions for this party. I think it is a real testament to the strength of the quizbowl community how many people who weren't playing the tournament helped out so we could reach our ideal number of packets. I also want to say that I was personally extremely satisfied with the questions. I would be interested to hear if people felt the lit, arts, and philosophy met regular difficulty, which was one of my primary goals while editing the set.
Ted Gioia - Harvard '12
Editor ACF, PACE
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Oh yeah, that's stupid of me. Besides the freelance packet writers, we also had Mike Cheyne and Chris White, among several others, contribute questions, not to mention Donald Taylor. I also have to say that Ike Jose and Charlie Rosenthal wrote some excellent freelance social science and trash, respectively, which bodes well for the circuit next year.
Andrew Watkins
Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

In case people were not aware, George Stevens from Clemson edited the European and American history and collaborated with me to edit visual arts. He put in many hours and I was impressed by the depth of his research and knowledge.
Ted Gioia - Harvard '12
Editor ACF, PACE