ANNOUNCEMENT: Cardinal Classic XVIII (2/14/09) at Stanford

Old college threads.
Eärendil
Wakka

ANNOUNCEMENT: Cardinal Classic XVIII (2/14/09) at Stanford

Post by Eärendil »

Stanford Quiz Bowl is pleased to (officially) announce that Cardinal Classic XVIII: An Indeterminate Subtitle will take place on Saturday, February 14, 2009. Just like last year's event, this tournament will actually take place at Stanford. The team meeting will be at 10 am in room 200 of the Old Union.

This is an academic, packet submission tournament, open to all players, regardless of academic affiliation. The target difficulty is that of ACF Regionals 2008. Brian Lindquist will be the head editor, with the assistance of Kevin Koai, Kristiaan De Greve, and myself.

If any schools are interested in attending or mirroring Cardinal Classic, they should contact me at amoudgil at stanford dot edu.

FEE STRUCTURE
Base fee for 1st team from school: $100
Base fee for 2nd and subsequent teams from school: $90
Buzzer Discount: -$10 per fully-functional system (max 2 per team)
Distance Discount: -$10 per team if traveling for 300 miles or greater
Minimum fee per team: $50

PACKET DEADLINES/DISCOUNTS
Packet by December 28: -$40
Packet by January 4: -$20
Packet by January 11: +$0
Packet by January 18: +$20
Packet by January 25: +$40

Teams that wish to play, but do not want to submit a packet, must request a dispensation by January 11, in which case they might be allowed to play for a penalty of +$50. Teams that do not submit a packet will not be allowed to play, unless they have been granted a dispensation by January 11.

If your school is sending multiple teams, make sure that each team keeps its packet completely blind to the other teams prior to the tournament.

PACKET DISTRIBUTION
Each team should write a 24/24 packet, with the following distribution:
Literature [5/5] (3/3 American/British, 2/2 world, with 1/1 each of poetry and drama)
History [5/5] (2/2 American, 2/2 European, 1/1 world)
Science [5/5] (1/1 each of biology, chemistry, physics. Remaining 2/2 your choice, but no more than 2/2 of any single "big three", and no more than 1/1 of any minor category)
Religion, Myth, Philosophy [3/3] (1/1 each)
Fine Arts [3/3] (Including 1/1 each of painting, music. Remaining 1/1 your choice, eg. sculpture, architecture, opera, etc.)
Social Science [1/1]
Geography [1/1]
Your Choice [1/1] (Could be any of the above categories, but could also be trash, current events, other)

All packets should be e-mailed to Brian Lindquist (blindqui at stanford dot edu).

FORMATTING
Packets should be submitted in a format readable by Microsoft Word, preferably .doc. A plain text attachment (.txt) or rich text file (.rtf), although not preferred, is also acceptable.

At the top of your packet, include the team name and the team members or people who contributed to the packet. Questions should be sorted by category: put all history tossups and bonuses under a heading "History", followed by a section labeled "Science", etc. Please do not number your questions.

Questions should be written in 10-point, Times New Roman font, with 1 inch margins. Tossups should be 6 to 7 lines long. Please, no 30-20-10 or "For five points each..." bonuses.

SAMPLE TOSSUP
Toward the end of its first act, one of the characters sings “I Know You Hate Me” after being whipped by the protagonist’s wife. A peasant sings “Why Hast Thou Taught Me” to woo the hand of that wife, who is known as Columbine in Act Two. After Beppe sings an ode to Columbine, the protagonist confronts Nedda about Silvio, and when she brushes him off he stabs her, leading Tonio to end the opera with the line “La Commedia Finita.” For 10 points, name this opera by Ruggierio Leoncavallo, whose first act ends with the melancholy “Vesti La Giubba” and whose protagonist is a very sad clown.
ANSWER: I Pagliacci [or The Clowns]

SAMPLE BONUS
It was a response to the prejudiced selections of the official Salon de Paris. For 10 points each:
[10] Name this art exhibition which was first held in 1863.
ANSWER: Salon des Refusés [or Salon of the Rejected]
[10] One of the prominent paintings exhibited in the Salon des Refusés was this huge Edouard Manet painting depicting a nude woman sitting between two clothed men in an outdoor setting.
ANSWER: Le Dejeuner sur l’Herbe [or Luncheon on the Grass; or Picnic on the Grass]
[10] The Salon des Refusés also featured The White Girl, a painting by this American artist. The painting is also known as his Symphony in White, Number 1.
ANSWER: James McNeill Whistler

SIDE TOURNAMENTS
Because Cardinal Classic falls on Presidents Day Weekend, we are looking at possibly having 1-2 side tournaments as well, spread over Friday and Sunday. Yogesh has offered to write a movies singles tournament. Unfortunately, we could not resolve the conflict with Hoosier Open on the same date. However, we might mirror HO on Sunday the 15th. We'd like some feedback from interested teams on what they think of this idea. Also, if enough people are interested, we can arrange for some Cardinal Classic ultimate frisbee (weather/time permitting)

FREELANCING
We would greatly appreciate it if individuals would like to write a freelance packet, particularly if it is at playoff-level difficulty. Although we would probably not be able to compensate you monetarily, you would have infinity dollars worth of our everlasting gratitude.

MIRRORS
MIT, the University of Maryland - Baltimore County, and Missouri S&T have announced interest in mirroring Cardinal Classic. To clarify, teams attending the mirrors are not required to submit packets, although we won't say no if teams do decide to write one anyways. I'll leave it to site TDs to determine if discounts can be given to teams that do submit packets.

WHO'S COMING
Missouri (1)
UCSD + Hannah + Alejandro (1)
Magin, Bentley, Arthur, Beyer (1)
UC Irvine (1)
Berkeley (2)
UCLA (1)
Chicago (5)
House teams (1-2)
Last edited by Eärendil on Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Arnav // Stanford University
Mike Bentley
Sin

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Cardinal Classic XVIII (2/14/08) at Stanford

Post by Mike Bentley »

I will most likely be playing in this tournament. If you're interested in playing on my team, let me know.

I will also sign up for the 100th attempt at having an ultimate frisbee game amongst quizbowlers.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

I'll play frisbee, that is if I'm coming to the Cardinal Classic which I should be!
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Eärendil
Wakka

Post by Eärendil »

UPDATE:

MIT and the University of Maryland-Baltimore County have declared interest in mirroring Cardinal Classic. They should make formal announcements in due time. Although there's been some posts on the forums, I have not yet received e-mails from teams interested in attending. If you are thinking of attending, or have decided to attend, I'd prefer to receive an e-mail as early as possible. Also, could the mods change the year in the title of this post to '09, so as to avoid complications with the space-time continuum?

Sure. -- The Management
manary
Lulu

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Cardinal Classic XVIII (2/14/09) at Stanford

Post by manary »

Caltech is maybe coming. Nothing definite yet.

Micah
Micah J. Manary
University of California San Diego MSTP '1x
California Institute of Technology '10
Saint Louis University High School '07
manary
Lulu

Post by manary »

Any word on side tournaments? This would definitely affect Caltech's coming.

Micah "Science? Movies?" Manary
Micah J. Manary
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

UCSD will be coming with one team.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Schweizerkas
Lulu

Post by Schweizerkas »

manary wrote:Any word on side tournaments? This would definitely affect Caltech's coming.

Micah "Science? Movies?" Manary
Yogesh's movies tournament will definitely be happening. I haven't heard about any other side events,
but I believe I speak for Arnav when I say that we'd like to hold another side event if possible. There
was the mention of possibly holding a mirror of Hoosier Open on Sunday, but no final
decision has been made on that.
Brian
Stanford University
magin
Auron

Post by magin »

I'll definitely be attending the Stanford site, and I'm fairly certain I'm playing on a team with Billy Beyer, Bruce Arthur, and Mike Bentley (unless Mike is playing with a team of Microsoft people).
Jonathan Magin
Montgomery Blair HS '04, University of Maryland '08
Editor: ACF

"noted difficulty controller"
millionwaves
Auron

Post by millionwaves »

Recent developments (like an SCT site that doesn't require a hotel and almost 16 hours of driving. Thanks, NAQT!) indicate that Illinois might be able to come to this again. We'll keep you posted.
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

Above the Star-Apple Kingdom
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

UCI will be coming to this with myself, Ray A., Brendan, and possibly a fourth. If we cannot find a fourth from within the club I will post here soliciting free agents.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

The movie tournament and Frisbee ideas sound interesting. I'd definitely be interested!
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

The University of Missouri has all of our tickets so we're on for 1 team.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Coral Gardens and Their Magin wrote:I'll definitely be attending the Stanford site, and I'm fairly certain I'm playing on a team with Billy Beyer, Bruce Arthur, and Mike Bentley (unless Mike is playing with a team of Microsoft people).
Yeah it is likely that I'll be coming on my own for this tournament, as I don't think the UW team has the budget or hardcoreness at the moment to do the 8+ hour roadtrip to Boise State for Sectionals on the 7th and then the 13+ hour roadtrip to Stanford on the 14th.
Mike Bentley
manary
Lulu

Post by manary »

Are the movies and science sides going to be at the same time? This is important for who writes from us.

Also, Caltech is coming with 1 team.

Micah
Micah J. Manary
Eärendil
Wakka

Post by Eärendil »

The current plan is to have separate time slots for the movies and science tournaments, with the movies getting the Friday night or Saturday night slot, and the science tournament getting the Sunday slot. Hoosier Open is also a possibility, in which case it'll probably share Sunday with the science tournament. I'm open to other schedules, though, if it means more teams will stick around and play.

I've updated the first post with information on mirrors as well as a tentative roster of who's coming.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Eärendil wrote:a tentative roster of who's coming.
It wouldn't be Cardinal Classic without (at least) 1-2 Berkeley teams.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Given Arnav's implicit blessing, Science Non-Strosity is officially a go. Announcement can be found here.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
unnecessarily hot
Lulu

Post by unnecessarily hot »

Expect at least 1 Berkeley team. A few members including myself are interested in playing, and Yogesh is going to be there for his movies tournament so I think it's safe to say we will have some presence.
Steven
Berkeley Quiz Bowl (2006-2010)
marnold
Tidus

Post by marnold »

Chicago will be attending.
Each team should write a 24/24 packet, with the following distribution:
Just to make it explicit, this means that packets are required of teams composed entirely of freshmen, correct?
Michael Arnold
Chicago 2010
Columbia Law 2013

2009 ACF Nats Champion
2010 ICT Champion
2010 CULT Champion
Member of Mike Cheyne's Quizbowl All-Heel Team

Fundamental Theorem of Quizbowl (Revised): Almost no one is actually good at quizbowl.
Eärendil
Wakka

Post by Eärendil »

marnold wrote:Chicago will be attending.
Sweet!
Just to make it explicit, this means that packets are required of teams composed entirely of freshmen, correct?
No, teams of novices are exempt from packet-writing (though they are welcome to submit one, discount included)
Not That Kind of Christian!!
Yuna

Post by Not That Kind of Christian!! »

I'm going to come as a single freelance player. If any team wants me to play, I'd be happy to write some questions for your packet!
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010
NYU School of Medicine 2014

"Wow, those Scandinavians completely thorbjorned my hard-earned political capital."
rylltraka
Tidus

Post by rylltraka »

I'm definitely coming. I know Ray L.'s been inquiring as to interest, but am unsure of how it has turned out; if it does not, I will advertise myself as a free agent.

Edit: Since we apparently have our act together, I'll be part of a team after all.
Last edited by rylltraka on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

okay, so we're trying to make UCSD come with one team, but because we will be applying for funding for the very first time and may not get it, we were wondering if someone could think of a place where 4-5 of us can lodge for free. We'll also try to get a packet to you by the 4th.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I'll be sending the 3/4 of our packet that is done later today, with the rest coming by the next deadline.
Mike Bentley
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Hey California people, how feasible is it to get to Stanford from the San Jose area on public transportation? I believe last year we were going to take some sort of train before Charles roped people into driving us to the university. If I took this train (what is the name, by the way), how close does it get to the Stanford campus? Would I need to get picked up by someone, take a bus, or could I walk? Does the train run at a reasonable schedule so that I could make it to campus on time and be able to catch a train back when the tournament goes really late?

Any other tips for finding a place to stay and means to get to Stanford is appreciated.

Also, Billy, Bruce and I are looking for 1 to N more people to stay in our hotel room.
Mike Bentley
Schweizerkas
Lulu

Post by Schweizerkas »

If you're trying to get from San Jose Airport to Stanford with public transportation, you can:

1. Take free shuttle from SJC to Santa Clara train station.

2. Take Caltrain from Santa Clara to Palo Alto train station. The Palo Alto station is just a block away from "campus," but due to the large size of the campus, it's probably about a 40 minute walk to the tournament building. However...

3. You can take a free shuttle (the Marguerite) that will take you close to the tournament building. On weekends, the shuttle only goes to the train station every 45 minutes, and the first shuttle of the day leaves the train station at 9:50 AM and gets to Tresidder Union at 10:03 AM. If you miss this shuttle, I'm sure someone could come pick you up from the station.

Alternatively, you can take a door-to-door van that will take you straight from the airport to the tournament location. That will cost you $36 dollars for 4 people, and I believe you need to make reservations ahead of time.
Brian
Stanford University
Alejandro
Wakka

Post by Alejandro »

I should be available as a free agent.
Alejandro
Naperville Central '07
Harvey Mudd '11
University of Washington '17
Yuna

Since so far there are three of us advertising as free agents, would it be feasible for the free agents to simply form a team?
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010

"Wow, those Scandinavians completely thorbjorned my hard-earned political capital."
Schweizerkas
Lulu

Post by Schweizerkas »

A reminder that the final (+$40) deadline to get in your packets is this Sunday, Jan. 25. So far, I've received packets from the following teams:

Arthur, Bentley, Beyer, and Magin
UC Irvine
Berkeley A
UCLA

I'm still expecting packets from Missouri, Berkeley B, UCSD, and some unknown number of Chicago teams. If I've left anyone off the list, let me know. I hope to see those packets come in soon.
Brian
Stanford University

We are planning the hotel part of this right now, and I would like either suggestions for a cheap hotel room that is near the Stanford campus (like, that we could walk to since we have no rental car) or people who would be able to put up roommates to get in touch with us so we can cheaply travel. I'd imagine we'd be willing to split up if we get 4 different people who can put up 1 person or something like that, so if you have any room or hotel suggestions, please email me at [email protected].
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:We are planning the hotel part of this right now, and I would like either suggestions for a cheap hotel room that is near the Stanford campus (like, that we could walk to since we have no rental car) or people who would be able to put up roommates to get in touch with us so we can cheaply travel. I'd imagine we'd be willing to split up if we get 4 different people who can put up 1 person or something like that, so if you have any room or hotel suggestions, please email me at [email protected].
The Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel will be rocking, and is also moderately priced.
Billy Beyer, formerly of FSU
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

wd4gdz wrote:
Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:We are planning the hotel part of this right now, and I would like either suggestions for a cheap hotel room that is near the Stanford campus (like, that we could walk to since we have no rental car) or people who would be able to put up roommates to get in touch with us so we can cheaply travel. I'd imagine we'd be willing to split up if we get 4 different people who can put up 1 person or something like that, so if you have any room or hotel suggestions, please email me at [email protected].
The Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel will be rocking, and is also moderately priced.
Yeah I believe it's just Billy, Bruce and me in the hotel room at the moment. We'd welcome 2-3 others if they want to split the bill. Let me know.
Mike Bentley

Is there a more final field for this?

Schweizerkas
Lulu

Post by Schweizerkas »

Here's the latest field update. Please let me know if there's anything incorrect here:

Missouri
UCSD
Magin, Bentley, Arthur, Beyer
UC Irvine
Berkeley (x2)
UCLA
Chicago (x5)
Free Agents: Hannah, Alejandro

Given this field, it seems likely that we'll try to make a 13-team tournament. The free agents should let me know if they've made any plans regarding teams. We'll have some house players that could help flesh out a team.
Brian
Stanford University
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

"UCSD" will consist of two UCSD people, Alejandro, and Hannah.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Eärendil
Wakka

Post by Eärendil »

Field updated in the first post. We have confirmed room reservations for all-day Saturday and Sunday. As far as scheduling goes, it is likely that Saturday will only have Cardinal Classic, while Science Non-Strosity and Yogesh's film tournament will probably be on Sunday. Lunch on Sunday will be between the two tournaments.

Alternatively, we can host the movies tournament on the Friday night before CC. If this works better for some teams, let me know. This frees up Sunday afternoon for ultimate/generic merriment. Any strong opinions on this, voice them here.
recfreq
Wakka

Post by recfreq »

UCLA will also bring between 1 and 2 free agents.
We have to leave before lunch on Sunday, so we'd prefer having the movies on friday night, then science on sunday morning before we head off to LaLa land at 12 or 12:30.
Sorry Ian, ultimate frisbee might be outside our plans.
Ray Luo, UCLA.
tkpatel
Lulu

Post by tkpatel »

recfreq wrote:UCLA will also bring between 1 and 2 free agents.
Who exactly are these people?
Tirth Patel
BS UCLA '11
MD, PhD Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine '20
recfreq
Wakka

Post by recfreq »

not you.
Ray Luo, UCLA.
Eärendil
Wakka

Post by Eärendil »

We have rooms for Friday night confirmed. The movies tournament will begin around 7 PM and should be done around 10 PM. Cardinal Classic will be all-day Saturday and Science Non-Strosity will be Sunday morning, followed by ultimate in the afternoon. If the weather is uncooperative, we can book a basketball court indoors and play ultimate there.
thedodgerswin
Lulu

Post by thedodgerswin »

What would happen if a nonChicago student were to play for a Chicago team? Is every player required to be a college student? Would the players on that team be eligible for individual awards? Would the team be elligible for the top bracket, honors?
Steven - Chicago Quizbowl
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

thedodgerswin wrote:What would happen if a nonChicago student were to play for a Chicago team? Is every player required to be a college student? Would the players on that team be eligible for individual awards? Would the team be elligible for the top bracket, honors?
This is an open tournament. Anyone and everyone is eligible for everything.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

Yuna

Are you guys alright for buzzer systems? I can bring mine from Boston if you need another.
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010

What time is the tournament going to start? I know last year I read something about it starting an hour late, which I would like to avoid.

wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

I think this had something to do with it:
http://www.doc-ent.com/qbwiki/index.php ... l_Disaster

I'm fully aware of the fact there were a number of travel problems last year that led to it, but I still want to know when this is starting.

wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

Eärendil wrote:The team meeting will be at 10 am in room 200 of the Old Union.
That's my guess.
Eärendil
Wakka

Post by Eärendil »

Actually, we've got better rooming situations this time around, so ignore the location information above.

Cardinal Classic (and all side events, for that matter) will take place in the Nitery, which is part of the Old Union complex. Here it is on the map. If you're driving, I'd recommend parking in the Tresidder parking lot off Mayfield Avenue. The building is a short walk away from there. For the main event, registration will take place at 8:30 AM. Teams should meet in Room 201 of the Nitery. Play will begin by 9 AM.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Since it looks like this tournament is starting after the buses start running from the Sheraton Palo Alto, if someone was able to give our room a ride from there to the tournament building that would be much appreciated. Looks like it's about a two mile walk otherwise.
Mike Bentley