Michigan 08-09

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
itsthatoneguy
Rikku

Michigan 08-09

Post by itsthatoneguy »

I'm just going to talk about each team individually:

DCC:
We are only losing one guy (Joe), so we should be pretty strong next year. If Brett can pick up the lit. that Joe knew and we get stronger on our weaker topics, we should do pretty well.

EL:
They will definately a lot weaker from the loss of Kurtis (congrats at Nationals btw), but I wouldn't count them out of it yet. From what I've seen, they are pretty good with the science and some other areas.

Novi:
I dont know how many people they are losing, but I know they are losing their best player. They should also be a force in Michigan next year.

DCD:
I dont think they are losing anyone, so they should be as strong/stronger than they were last year. I also think that they had the top sophmore at NAQT Nationals.

There are also a few other teams (Troy, White Cloud, Churchill, etc.) that may do something next year.

Also, DCC will be having its annual tournament in the fall this year, so look out for it
Bryan Berend
Detroit Catholic Central '09
Michigan '13
Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat
Rikku

Re: Michigan 08-09

Post by Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat »

The only team I know much about is EL. I think they will be decent, but not close to the top teams. The returning players need to learn to buzz more, which will take some time.

I think you accidentally skipped GPN, who really impressed me with their performance at HSNCT and NAQT States. It looks like their top scorer was a junior last year, so they should be good next year as well.

I think that DCC will be the top team in the state again, but I'm curious to know what DCD, Novi, and GPN can do. Any of those three could probably win a tournament on the right day, though I would expect DCC to win the most.
Michael Hausinger
Coach, Bay City Western High School
formerly of University of Michigan and East Lansing High School
itsthatoneguy
Rikku

Post by itsthatoneguy »

Thank you, I did forget to put GPN in there.

GPN:
I dont know how many people they will be graduating, but they also do very well at states and fairly well at nationals. They only go to three tournaments at the most before nationals, so its kinda hard to tell how good they are until you play them.
Bryan Berend
Michigan '13
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

Will DCC be at U of I Earlybird again?
itsthatoneguy
Rikku

Post by itsthatoneguy »

JohnGlerum wrote:Will DCC be at U of I Earlybird again?
I'm not sure. Contact my coach, Mr. Jones.
Bryan Berend
Michigan '13
quadraticreciprocity
Kimahri

Post by quadraticreciprocity »

itsthatoneguy wrote:I'm just going to talk about each team individually:

DCC:
We are only losing one guy (Joe), so we should be pretty strong next year. If Brett can pick up the lit. that Joe knew and we get stronger on our weaker topics, we should do pretty well.

EL:
They will definately a lot weaker from the loss of Kurtis (congrats at Nationals btw), but I wouldn't count them out of it yet. From what I've seen, they are pretty good with the science and some other areas.
yeah, DCC will be really good as usual

what were the stats of East Lansing's other players at NAQT nationals?
itsthatoneguy
Rikku

Post by itsthatoneguy »

After Kurtis, the second highest scorer on EL (according to NAQT individual rankings) was Liz Fujita, who was ranked at 650th.

Here's the link to the individual rankings if anyone is interested:

http://naqt.com/hsnct/2008/results/personal.html

quadraticreciprocity, you should update your signature.
Bryan Berend
Michigan '13
millionwaves
Auron

Post by millionwaves »

quadraticreciprocity wrote:

DCC:

EL:
yeah, DCC will be really good as usual

what were the stats of East Lansing's other players at NAQT nationals?
Please identify yourself with your name and school affiliation in your signature, as per this policy.

Thank you,

Trygve
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

Above the Star-Apple Kingdom
Lukey's Boat
Lulu

Post by Lukey's Boat »

itsthatoneguy wrote:After Kurtis, the second highest scorer on EL (according to NAQT individual rankings) was Liz Fujita, who was ranked at 650th.
Ah, I was trying to avoid thinking about that. It is alarmingly difficult to play against another team and Kurtis. :grin: Heh.

I will be interested to see what EL can do next year sans Kurtis, as well as of course DCC and GPN, both of whom I think will bring a very good game. Also, DeWitt intrigues me. They're a fairly good team as is, and I know they have every intention of working hard over the summer (their captain graduated, which doesn't help).

[/two cents]
Liz F.
Michigan Technological University
Formerly East Lansing H.S.
itsthatoneguy
Rikku

Post by itsthatoneguy »

Lukey's Boat wrote:
I will be interested to see what EL can do next year sans Kurtis, as well as of course DCC and GPN, both of whom I think will bring a very good game. Also, DeWitt intrigues me. They're a fairly good team as is, and I know they have every intention of working hard over the summer (their captain graduated, which doesn't help).

[/two cents]
Yeah, DeWitt really surprised me at KMO states when they beat DCD to win Division II. However, they were not that impressive on a NAQT format. They definately have some work to do, but they have the potential to be a good team.
Bryan Berend
Michigan '13
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

Yeah, DCD does have a chance this year if we actually practice more. The only tournaments in which we had our top three players was in the U of M Spring Classic and NAQT Nats.

And at NAQT Nats, we started 5-2, but we lost our last three matches, so we didn't make it to playoffs.

Hopefully, we can do better this year.
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

DCC:

EL:

Novi:
I dont know how many people they are losing, but I know they are losing their best player. They should also be a force in Michigan next year.

DCD:
I dont think they are losing anyone, so they should be as strong/stronger than they were last year. I also think that they had the top sophmore at NAQT Nationals.

There are also a few other teams (Troy, White Cloud, Churchill, etc.) that may do something next year.

Also, DCC will be having its annual tournament in the fall this year, so look out for it
BTW, DCD had the second best sophomore in nationals. The first was Greg Tito from Maggie Walker Governor's School
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
itsthatoneguy
Rikku

Post by itsthatoneguy »

This is an unoffical annoucement, but I'm pretty sure that Catholic Central's first-ever fall tournament will be on October 4th. Its a house written tournament, so DCC will not be competing. Anyone interested?
Bryan Berend
Michigan '13
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

Our school might be interested in competing, but of course that is for the coaches to decide.
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
Ringil
Rikku

Post by Ringil »

I think DCC, Novi, and DCD are gonna dominate this year, but that doesn't seem like much of a surprise.

DeWitt's coach seems really hardcore, as far as I saw. I'll wait and see on them :)
Libo
Washington '14, Michigan '13, Troy High School '09
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Attention all wolverines from an Illinois interloper:

I would like to invite all Michigan teams that mignt be interested to a fr/so tournamemnt at Loyola Academy (in Wilmette, just north of Chicago) on December 13. We will be using in-house pyramidal and NAQT A-Level questions; other details forthcoming.

If interested email me [email protected]
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

I'd also like to throw in my invitation to all Michigan teams to come to the South Bend Mirror of the NNT on November 15th. South Bend is not a very long drive to most places in Michigan, and we would love to have out-of state teams at our tournament. The tournament information is linked here, and if you would like to register or have any questions, please contact me at bdurgin AT alumni DOT culver DOT org
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

Yeah, South Bend is only about a 2 hour drive from the Detroit Area.

That is nearly as much time as it takes for going to a tourney in the Lansing Area.

We may be interested.
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

Also, what teams are attending Novi Wildcat Invitational?

The only thing that I worry about is the fact that the packet used is 73-A, but I still think that the tourney is going to be good.
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

master15625 wrote: We may be interested.
Neil, is your team still interested?
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

We are going to a tournament in the week before and we have another QB occurrence during the week of November 10th, so we are not able to go.

Thanks for the invite.
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
MLafer
Rikku

Post by MLafer »

Does anybody know if University Liggett has a quiz bowl team? My niece might be going there and is interested in quiz bowl
Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat
Rikku

Post by Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat »

Stats for the Autumn Classic are here

My thoughts (from the stat room, not seeing any games) about Michigan teams
DCC, DCD, and GPN showed themselves to be very, very good. Novi is still among the best in the state, though they do not seem to be on the same tier at the moment. East Lansing has dropped off a lot after Kurtis, of course, but still looks decent. Churchill also seems to have a pretty good team this year; I don't know how that compares to the past couple years.
Michael Hausinger
Coach, Bay City Western High School
formerly of University of Michigan and East Lansing High School
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

Other than Catholic Central's Tournament coming up on the 24th, does anyone else know of any other tournaments that will be coming?
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
crossingofmerlin
Kimahri

Post by crossingofmerlin »

My thoughts (from the stat room, not seeing any games) about Michigan teams
DCC, DCD, and GPN showed themselves to be very, very good. Novi is still among the best in the state, though they do not seem to be on the same tier at the moment. East Lansing has dropped off a lot after Kurtis, of course, but still looks decent. Churchill also seems to have a pretty good team this year; I don't know how that compares to the past couple years.
hm. considering that 3/5 of Novi's A Team from 2008 is at Michigan this year... 1/5 at Mich of the East, (1/5 still there for this year) I'll say that Novi took a rather big hit (in graduating seniors).
Churchill's always been decent, graduated some, kept some. something like that.
Ray Zuo
Michigan '12
Novi '08
Eärendil
Wakka

Post by Eärendil »

MLafer wrote:Does anybody know if University Liggett has a quiz bowl team? My niece might be going there and is interested in quiz bowl
If they did have a team, it might have been during my freshman year of high school. We never played them in any regional/invitational/state competitions that I can recall. Nor have I heard of any current program there, but I'll ask around when I'm back home.
Arnav // Stanford University
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

DCC looked really legit when I read some HSAPQ stuff for them today. With DCD seemingly putting up comparable stats, I'm interested to see if the top playoff bracket at PACE could contain a Michigan team or two.

Also what I believe to be DCC's like C/sophomore team or whatever was really impressive for their supposed grade (I don't know what grade any of those kids are actually in and didn't ask) in the couple games I read for them and they're probably a good sign for the future of that team.
Pat Freeburn - No particular affiliation.
swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

I'm looking forward to seeing them compete against much of Ohio's best next week at our Great Lakes tournament.
Steven Wellstead
Fisher Catholic High School '07
Case Western Reserve University '11
NAQT writer
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Jackie Treehorn wrote:DCC looked really legit when I read some HSAPQ stuff for them today. With DCD seemingly putting up comparable stats, I'm interested to see if the top playoff bracket at PACE could contain a Michigan team or two.
DCC was awesome at VCU a month ago on set #3. Just ask Ian and Matt, who, like i, were practically stunned at the powers they were getting during a game i was scorekeeping.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Post by Broad-tailed Grassbird »

I noticed that 18 teams from Michigan (most from any state) are signed up for HSNCT this weekend, and that 1 team (DCC) went to PACE NSC last week. Obviously a major reason is that HSNCT is in Chicago and NSC is out east. Even when NSC was in Ann Arbor only 4 teams (albeit out of 36 total) participated from Michigan (that said, I was in hs then, and didn't know what PACE was, and the tournament was held a 12 minute drive from my house). Of course, NAQT is the standard in Michigan, with conference leagues being the only other option.

My question is, was it just the tanking economy? Or is there a reason that this state doesn't like PACE and loves NAQT more than MInnesota?
Additionally, is there interest in a tournament with NSC type questions? or is there some other format teams in Michigan are looking for?
Nalin
Scranton Middle School (2000-2003)
Brighton High School (2003-2007)
Michigan State University (2007-2011)
Semi-Retired (2012-present)