Mid-Atlantic ACF Fall at VCU, 11/8/08

Old college threads.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Mid-Atlantic ACF Fall at VCU, 11/8/08

Post by Matt Weiner »

The Mid-Atlantic site for ACF Fall 2008 will be held at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond on Saturday, November 8.

To register, post in this thread or mail me at [email protected] with the number of teams, buzzers, and staffers you want to bring, and an email address where you can be contacted with details.

PACKETS/PRICES: The ACF guidelines on packet submission apply--teams with players in their third or greater year of mainstream quizbowl must write packets in order to participate. Submit all packets to Andrew Hart as directed on that page. The standard ACF fee schedule also applies, with a base fee of $120 per team, and substantial discounts available for early submission of packets or bringing buzzers and staff to the tournament. Teams who have not played ACF recently get a $25 discount, and teams who have not played any mainstream quizbowl prior to this year get a $100 discount.

LOCATION/DIRECTIONS: The tournament will take place in the Hibbs Building on our Monroe Park campus (aka "Academic Campus"). The nominal address of the building is "900 Park Ave, Richmond VA" if you need to put something into your map software of choice, but be aware that Hibbs does not actually face the street, so you will have to park and then walk to the area where the building is in order to find it. I suggest printing out the appropriate campus maps and bringing them along--note that Hibbs is directly across from the Cabell Library, which will probably be easier for you to find if you have not been to the VCU campus before.

PARKING: On weekends, parking on the street is free and available in most places around the campus; the best place to park for access to Hibbs is on one of the residential streets such as Park Avenue, Floyd Avenue, or West Avenue that branch off Harrison Street to the west near the Hibbs/library area. If you cannot find a space in that area, then you should use the parking deck at Harrison and Broad, which is about three blocks north of the tournament building and will charge you somewhere between $0 and $5 to park all day.

TIMES: Registration will run from 8:30 to 9:00, with the goal of starting Round 1 as soon as possible after 9. Please be in room 403 of Hibbs by 9:00.

FORMAT: Each team will play at least 12 games, and the tournament will end with ACF-format finals. The specific format will be determined once the field size is known. Games will be played under the official ACF rules. The highest-finishing all-undergraduate and all-Division II teams will receive recognition according to the ACF policy on eligibility for Undergraduate and Division II status.

PAYMENT: Financial arrangements will be handled by Quizbowl at VCU president Andrew Alexander. All teams must pay on Saturday morning, in one of two forms: cash, or a personal or institutional check made out to Andrew Alexander. Do not bring checks made out to Matt Weiner, to VCU, to "quizbowl," or so forth. We can't do anything with them. Unless you have made a specific arrangement with me or Andrew, you must pay your full registration fee at or before the tournament. If you need an invoice ahead of time so that your sponsor can cut a check, let me know. Otherwise, all teams will receive invoices at the tournament.

Post here or mail me if you have any further questions about the tournament itself, travel strategies, or so forth. We had a successful ACF Fall last year and hope to expand on that event.

--Matt Weiner, tournament director, ACF Fall Mid-Atlantic
[email protected]

Teams so far (to be edited as registrations come in):

Maryland-College Park (2)
JS Reynolds (1)
George Mason (1)
UVa (1)
Maryland-Baltimore County (2)
Wake Forest (1)
William & Mary (2)
Penn (1)
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: Mid-Atlantic ACF Fall at VCU, 11/8/08

Post by DumbJaques »

I'll send you an email once we know what our total interest is, but Maryland will be there with 1-3 teams.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Dan, Matt and I will be showing up to this, possibly with other Reynolds people.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
The Toad to Wigan Pier
Tidus

Post by The Toad to Wigan Pier »

UVA will be there, I don't know how many teams yet.
William Butler
UVA '11
Georgia Tech 13
wowitsquinthaha
Wakka

Post by wowitsquinthaha »

Quint and Cameron might be making an appearance, pending me actually speaking with him first...
Quint Carr
Maggie Walker A
GSAC XV Question Editor
GSAC XVI Chief Promoter/Celebrity
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

wowitsquinthaha wrote:Quint and Cameron might be making an appearance, pending me actually speaking with him first...
If the GDS NNT ends up changing its date, an actual Maggie Walker team would love to show up as well. Unfortunately, I don't think Dr. B. would let us skip a high school tournament for a college tournament...we'll see.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
ieppler
Rikku

Post by ieppler »

While I can't formally announce the GDS NNT site yet due to difficulties with school bureaucracy, I can confirm that the date will not be changed from 11/8. I apologize for the conflict (I really wanted to play ACF Fall, too), but the 8th was the only day that the building was available in November, and timely public discussion of the set is important to me as a first-time editor.
Ian Eppler from Brown University
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

Hopper wrote:While I can't formally announce the GDS NNT site yet due to difficulties with school bureaucracy, I can confirm that the date will not be changed from 11/8. I apologize for the conflict (I really wanted to play ACF Fall, too), but the 8th was the only day that the building was available in November, and timely public discussion of the set is important to me as a first-time editor.
Understood. I was rather annoyed when our TD decided he was the only one allowed to comment on last year's GSAC, as I wanted to respond to feedback on my first editing job. Anyway, perhaps MLWGS will appear at this new ACF Winter if there's a site nearby...
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

Just to let you know, we may be able to pull together a 2nd team for this. Stay tuned.
Mehdi Razvi
Maggie Walker Gov. School '07
University of Pennsylvania '11

"A goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid."
-James D. Watson (1928-)
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Team updates went out today (three times due to my sudden hilarious inability to use-email or read things). We have 13 teams and plan to do a full round robin format. Crazy stuff is happening with the number of teams, so the format will be decided on Friday once the field is all finalized. If you are registered but didn't receive the team update or otherwise have questions, just post here or mail me at [email protected]. The tournament registration/meeting room is Hibbs 405.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Maryland A, Penn, UVa and JS Reynolds are undefeated at the lunch break.
Matt Weiner
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Maryland A won the tournament undefeated. Penn finished second, losing only to Maryland A, first in the last game of the round-robin and then in the first game of a Maryland-advantaged final. UVa took the Undergraduate and DII titles, with George Mason being second in both of those categories.

Round-robin stats are at http://www.hsquizbowl.org/fall08/fall08 ... dings.html . The final game will be added in at some point.
Matt Weiner
Tower Monarch
Rikku

Post by Tower Monarch »

I didn't even plan on playing originally, but that was a great experience (although I apparently took on my teammates' three negs in my stat line, but whatever). It was great to play on that diverse team and to see almost every college player I know.
Cameron Orth - Freelance Writer/Moderator, PACE member
College: JTCC 2011, Dartmouth College '09-'10, '11-'14
Mathematics, Computer Science and Film/Media Studies
High School: Home Schooled/Cosby High '08-'09, MLWGSGIS A-E '06-'08
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

Overall, this tournament was awesome. Aside from one or two lagging readers which were probably out of Matt's control (the one I'm thinking of seemed to be more efficient in later rounds), logistics were great and the set was well-done. Unfortunately, I had to leave at 5 (which I made clear to Matt beforehand) and one lagging reader, coupled with the fact that we were slated to play Maryland in the last round, made it so I couldn't stick around for the last game (and subsequent finals), so my apologies to Maryland for depriving you of potentially more competitive matches. I would've loved stay and play on those questions more if I could though. Sincere kudos to the editors on this one!
Mehdi Razvi
Maggie Walker Gov. School '07
University of Pennsylvania '11

"A goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid."
-James D. Watson (1928-)
Arian Fathieh
Lulu

Post by Arian Fathieh »

I had a lot of fun in this tournament. I agree that there was one lagging reader but I don't want to harp on that point because overall it was a well run tournament. Kudos to Mr. Weiner, the hosts at VCU, and all of those who staffed. :)
Member of the UVA Quiz Bowl Team
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

The stats have been updated to include the final, and may still be found at http://www.hsquizbowl.org/fall08/fall08 ... dings.html.
Matt Weiner