ANNOUNCEMENT: EFT Mirror at Wake Forest

Old college threads.
aestheteboy
Tidus

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: EFT Mirror at Wake Forest

Post by aestheteboy »

If not for Chris Ray (who allegedly convinced the TD to carry over the prelim record), we would have had a wonderful four-way tie between UMD B, UVA, Ted/Dan, and George/Daichi. I'm kind of upset that he had to mess that equilibrium up.

Matt Weiner beat the world in the ICT scrimmage.
Daichi - Walter Johnson; Vanderbilt; U of Chicago.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

If not for Chris Ray (who allegedly convinced the TD to carry over the prelim record), we would have had a wonderful four-way tie between UMD B, UVA, Ted/Dan, and George/Daichi. I'm kind of upset that he had to mess that equilibrium up.
This was actually a joint recommendation made by myself and George Berry, who now names the quizbowl sportsmanship award for supporting th idea despite it ending up negatively impacting his team. We both kind of looked at it as the slightly better of two hilariously sub-optimal bracketing options (in which either a single game had to be carried over, or a game between playoff teams was utterly pointless). I'd like to take this opportunity to remind everyone why crossover games is the way to go when rebracketing, and if you find yourself not setting it up like that, you should probably stop.

I'd like to offer a serious level of congratulations and admiration to the younger players - particularly the high schoolers - who had a very impressive showing at this event. As mentioned during the tournament, the prospect that we are discussing high school divisions at ACF Nationals (even if it's mostly in jest) is tremendously awesome. You guys rule.

Also it appears that no tournament set anywhere can be run without Ike Jose in attendance, so please schedule your events accordingly.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

DumbJaques wrote:As mentioned during the tournament, the prospect that we are discussing high school divisions at ACF Nationals (even if it's mostly in jest) is tremendously awesome. You guys rule.
yes yes yes please yes

I greatly look forward to all those 90-70 games.
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Guy, I seem to remember you reading the set and saying "argh, I haven't thirtied a bonus yet." So I think you might do just fine.
Andrew Watkins
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

everyday847 wrote:Guy, I seem to remember you reading the set and saying "argh, I haven't thirtied a bonus yet." So I think you might do just fine.
Hey, I'm still annoyed that I missed what would have been my only 30 of ACF nationals (listening to the podcast) because I thought "strelskii" instead of "streltsii".
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/
Headmaster Thursby
Lulu

Post by Headmaster Thursby »

Results have been posted and can be viewed here:

http://groups.wfu.edu/quizbowl/home4.html

Thanks again to everyone who attended. Congrats again to Maryland B for winning the whole thing, and to George Stevens and Daichi Ueda for being the number one Division II team.
Jacob Bathanti
Wake Forest University
http://groups.wfu.edu/quizbowl/
dschafer
Rikku

Post by dschafer »

If possible, could the Round Report page could be enabled? I'd be interested to see the PPG and PPB comparisons between rounds.

Also, thanks for an extremely well-run tournament; everything ran incredibly smoothly.
Dan Schafer
Carnegie Mellon '10
Thomas Jefferson '06