Returning to In-Person Issues

Old college threads.
DogeofVenice
Lulu

Returning to In-Person Issues

Post by DogeofVenice »

Over the last few weeks, I’ve spent a lot of time communicating with our club advisor and NYU’s governing body on student activities trying to find ways to make in-person quiz bowl events like practices and tournaments happen at NYU this semester while also ensuring COVID safety for all participants. Unfortunately, I’ve run into a lot of new red tape imposed by the university because of public health concerns about reopening. Right now, NYU isn’t allowing clubs to reserve rooms for events like quiz bowl practice or sponsor any events outside the five boroughs of New York City. In response, the rest of our board and I are now keeping our practices online this semester and have been told by our advisor we will not be able to go to tournaments until further notice. This all stinks, but I also of course want to follow all public health advice the school has given to make sure all our players are safe.

All that being said, I’m interested in knowing how other collegiate quiz bowl teams are dealing with returning to in-person activities during this weird phase of the pandemic. Are your schools placing restrictions on room reservations and where you can travel for tournaments? Are these issues widespread enough that collegiate quiz bowl going back in-person this semester could be threatened?
Douglas R. Simons

National History Bee JV Champion '16
High Tech '18, Captain '17-'18
NYU '22, President '21-'22