The Quizbowl Packet Archive IS getting an overhaul!

Elaborate on the merits of specific tournaments or have general theoretical discussion here.
miamc
Lulu

The Quizbowl Packet Archive IS getting an overhaul!

Post by miamc »

Exciting times, folks: this summer, the Quizbowl Packet Archive is getting some long-overdue updates! I'm working with Jeffrey Hill on getting some spicy new features onto the website over the coming months; the tentative plan right now includes such highlights as:
  • a separate subdomain for vanity sets!
  • a new tagging/sorting system!
  • more in-depth information on "recommended" sets!
  • and more!
I will be heading this project up; the goal is to have the database updated by the time most schools go back mid-August, so new (and existing!) teams can have an easy breezy time finding practice material for the return to in-person QB!

That being said, if you're someone with a vested interest in doing the unglamorous work of packet archive tagging, we're looking for a team to help out with the project! Ideally, we'll be looking for people able to commit to a couple hours a week tagging sets with things like difficulty, format, distribution, etc.; no coding experience/knowledge necessary! The commitment is just through the summer; once the initial task of tagging the backlog of sets is complete, it'll be much easier for just one or two people to approve/tag sets as they get submitted.

If you're interested in helping spruce up the archive, shoot me an email at quiz at miamcgill dot com! Ganon and I are already starting on some preliminary tagging, so I'd love to get more people on board as soon as possible.

----- (September 2022 Update) -----

This is still happening, just at a slower rate than planned! The effort is getting turned over to PACE's technology committee, with the goal of having the project finished by the end of this competition year. If you have questions, feel free to reach out to PACE's VP of Technology, Harry White, at hwhite at pace-nsc dot org.
Last edited by miamc on Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mia McGill
President, PACE
PACE Representative, Quizbowl Misconduct Reporting Form
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud #1 Spot Holder, Ganon's Biggest Haters List
Santa Claus
Rikku

Re: The Quizbowl Packet Archive IS getting an overhaul!

Post by Santa Claus »

This is very exciting! I'm very happy to hear about these changes.
miamc wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:06 pm That being said, if you're someone with a vested interest in doing the unglamorous work of packet archive tagging, we're looking for a team to help out with the project! Ideally, we'll be looking for people able to commit to a couple hours a week tagging sets with things like difficulty, format, distribution, etc.; no coding experience/knowledge necessary!
If possible, I think it would be great if this information could be put into a spreadsheet or equivalent document while it's being compiled so that it can be used to update the wiki as well.
Kevin Wang
Arcadia High School 2015
Amherst College 2019

2018 PACE NSC Champion
2019 PACE NSC Champion
meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

Santa Claus wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:52 am This is very exciting! I'm very happy to hear about these changes.
miamc wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:06 pm That being said, if you're someone with a vested interest in doing the unglamorous work of packet archive tagging, we're looking for a team to help out with the project! Ideally, we'll be looking for people able to commit to a couple hours a week tagging sets with things like difficulty, format, distribution, etc.; no coding experience/knowledge necessary!
If possible, I think it would be great if this information could be put into a spreadsheet or equivalent document while it's being compiled so that it can be used to update the wiki as well.
A spreadsheet is being used.
Em Gunter
Club President, University of Virginia
Tournament Director, 2023 Chicago Open
Assistant Tournament Director, 2022 and 2023 ACF Nationals

Author of: My Guide to High School Outreach and So You Want to Buy a Buzzer System

"That's got to be one of the most useful skills anyone has ever gotten from quizbowl." -John Lawrence
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Is there an update on the progress of this effort? Would additional volunteers be useful?
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
thedoge
Lulu

Post by thedoge »

Just stumbled upon this thread—I categorized a bunch of sets by difficulty and put them into this spreadsheet for the qbreader website. Could be useful to expedite the process / if anyone finds the data useful for studying purposes.
Geoffrey Wu
NNHS '21 | Columbia '25
creator of qbreader.org
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

miamc wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:06 pm Exciting times, folks: this summer, the Quizbowl Packet Archive is getting some long-overdue updates! I'm working with Jeffrey Hill on getting some spicy new features onto the website over the coming months; the tentative plan right now includes such highlights as:
  • a separate subdomain for vanity sets!
  • a new tagging/sorting system!
  • more in-depth information on "recommended" sets!
  • and more!
I will be heading this project up; the goal is to have the database updated by the time most schools go back mid-August, so new (and existing!) teams can have an easy breezy time finding practice material for the return to in-person QB!

That being said, if you're someone with a vested interest in doing the unglamorous work of packet archive tagging, we're looking for a team to help out with the project! Ideally, we'll be looking for people able to commit to a couple hours a week tagging sets with things like difficulty, format, distribution, etc.; no coding experience/knowledge necessary! The commitment is just through the summer; once the initial task of tagging the backlog of sets is complete, it'll be much easier for just one or two people to approve/tag sets as they get submitted.

If you're interested in helping spruce up the archive, shoot me an email at miamc144 at gmail dot com! Ganon and I are already starting on some preliminary tagging, so I'd love to get more people on board as soon as possible.
Any news on this?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
miamc
Lulu

Post by miamc »

Hi all, sorry for the delay in updates here—this ended up being a bit bigger of a project than we anticipated, so it's being taken up as part of the goals of PACE's technology committee this year (along with some external help), and we aim to have it done by the end of this competition year!
Mia McGill
President, PACE
PACE Representative, Quizbowl Misconduct Reporting Form
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud #1 Spot Holder, Ganon's Biggest Haters List
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Almost a year later, is there any update on this project?

If not, is there at least a bare-minimum change that can be made from now forward, so that the major sections of the archive doesn't keep getting flooded with one-off vanity packets? Creating a "Standalone Packets" or "Vanity" section, and redirecting future imports of the "[Player]'s [Niche Interest] Packet" type to that section, would at least stem the tide while the bigger overhaul takes place.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!!
Rikku

Post by Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!! »

Unfortunately not. But quite literally this morning I messaged the ACF Officer chat about needing to follow through on this. I plan on picking this up this week, sitting down with Jeff Hill to get a sense of how to update the back end, and then moving forward with what we had already. Please poke me by the end of this month if I haven't given an update.
Ganon Evans
Misconduct Representative
ACF President, PACE VP of Editing, MOQBA
Francis Howell High School 2018, University of Iowa 2021
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Glad to hear that this is moving. Thanks to all who are working on it!

Amid some discussion of the archive on Discord earlier this week, I made a point I'd like to restate here: It might be good to raise the threshold for approving sets/packets for posting. E.g.: Add a checkbox for "These questions were used at an event and/or had a reading that was announced and open to the public", with a required link to a stats post, or Discord score readout, or forums thread, etc., and/or a(nother?*) layer of manual approval. This would help preserve the archive's prestige and usability as an archive of packets that the quizbowl community, as a whole, lived and played.
(For those who really want to get their insular, meme-y, or club/friend group-specific packets out there -- we live on an Internet; there are many other services and domains that offer free storage space.)

*I don't know exactly what this process looks like now
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I think as long as there's a section indicating that this is "vanity/not intended as serious" packets that were used for nothing more than in-club shootouts or whatever, that's fine. Just give people a heads-up so that they know what they're getting into.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!! wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 4:12 pm Unfortunately not. But quite literally this morning I messaged the ACF Officer chat about needing to follow through on this. I plan on picking this up this week, sitting down with Jeff Hill to get a sense of how to update the back end, and then moving forward with what we had already. Please poke me by the end of this month if I haven't given an update.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!!
Rikku

Stained Diviner wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:14 pm
Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!! wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 4:12 pm Unfortunately not. But quite literally this morning I messaged the ACF Officer chat about needing to follow through on this. I plan on picking this up this week, sitting down with Jeff Hill to get a sense of how to update the back end, and then moving forward with what we had already. Please poke me by the end of this month if I haven't given an update.
Our schedules are starting to clear with HSNCT down and the NSC right around the corner. Jeff is taking a look at the back end this weekend and Ryan is still working up the new website design.
Ganon Evans
Stained Diviner
Auron

Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!! wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:54 pm
Our schedules are starting to clear with HSNCT down and the NSC right around the corner. Jeff is taking a look at the back end this weekend and Ryan is still working up the new website design.
How often do you want to be reminded about this?
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!!
Rikku

Stained Diviner wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:57 pm
Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!! wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:54 pm
How often do you want to be reminded about this?
End of the month works! Ryan has set up the new website design which is being tested by Jeff currently.
Ganon Evans
Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!!
Rikku

Another update: Jeff and Ryan are reaching an endpoint with the software for the site itself. Once that's done, we're going to go through and make sure all the sets get tagged with difficulty or other information such as being a single subject or all-subject event. A huge thanks to Jeff and Ryan for doing a the technical leg work here in their free time. I hope that we can finally turn the page here or tease the new update in August!
Ganon Evans
Stained Diviner
Auron

Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!! wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:56 pm Another update: Jeff and Ryan are reaching an endpoint with the software for the site itself. Once that's done, we're going to go through and make sure all the sets get tagged with difficulty or other information such as being a single subject or all-subject event. A huge thanks to Jeff and Ryan for doing a the technical leg work here in their free time. I hope that we can finally turn the page here or tease the new update in August!
Tease us
David Reinstein
Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!!
Rikku

Stained Diviner wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:50 pm Tease us
Ask and ye shall receive. Here's a sample screenshot of what we got working thus far. Still needs the sets to be dropped in, but its coming along.
Ganon Evans
Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!!
Rikku

Some exciting updates! The hard part of integrating the old website with the new is largely done. The ability to edit the archive still needs to be added. But the public frontend is largely done as well.

If anyone would like to help wrap up, we need to do some tagging of sets for difficulty, topic, etc. The last effort to update the archive in 2021 manged to do this for all sets between 2014ish-2021, but sets post-2021 and a lot of older sets need to be tagged still. Reach out to me if you're interested.
Ganon Evans
Stained Diviner
Auron

That's good news!

While it's good that the sets from before 2014 stay posted, I would hope that tagging them would not hold up this project. I think it would be fine to put them on a separate page or in a separate table that is similar to the current archive. For one thing, it would mean this project could be finished once the last two years get sorted, which is a small amount of work. For another thing, if a user is sorting academic packets by difficulty to figure out which packet to study next, having packets from the 1980s in the list does more harm than good.
David Reinstein
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I'll second David - I think question before a certain date would probably be best served by not being promoted.

At the risk of scope creep - would a (prominent) checkbox that, by default, hides packets prior to (insert year here) be desirable?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
InfinitePeng
Lulu

Post by InfinitePeng »

Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!! wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:32 pm Some exciting updates! The hard part of integrating the old website with the new is largely done. The ability to edit the archive still needs to be added. But the public frontend is largely done as well.

If anyone would like to help wrap up, we need to do some tagging of sets for difficulty, topic, etc. The last effort to update the archive in 2021 manged to do this for all sets between 2014ish-2021, but sets post-2021 and a lot of older sets need to be tagged still. Reach out to me if you're interested.

I believe that this was already done by Geoffrey Wu and co for QBReader purposes: that spreadsheet can be found here. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... jxUkM/edit
felix

mizzou 23, st. joseph central 19

MOQBA, PACE
Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!!
Rikku

I have often said that "The devil works quick, but qbreader works quicker"; we have now reached the frightening levels of "The devil works quick, but qbreader has already finished the task." Thanks for sharing this, Felix - I may have to adjust the current data slightly to fit what we have for the rest of the sets as of now, but this is exactly what we were looking for.

David and Fred raise a great point (and in fact, the reason why the original project cutoff at 2014 was to focus on more recent, quality content). I would like to eventually get these sets labeled and uploaded for the sake of completeness, but I agree its a lower priority than just launching sooner rather than later. We have discussed a "recommended" feature that currently exists, but needs a big update. I'll talk to Jeff about making that happen.
Ganon Evans
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

For those who've missed it, it seems the overhaul HAS BEEN gotten! Big rounds of applause to Mia, Ganon, Jeffrey Hill, Alejandro, and everyone else who worked to make this happen over many years.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!!
Rikku

Thank you Matt - especially for helping to label some of the sets over the last few weeks! But yes, the update has officially begun. A huge thanks should go out to the tech team of Jeffrey, Ryan, and Alejandro for really making this happen. Thanks to everyone over the last two years that has contributed to this project.

There's still a fair amount of work to due: a lot of older sets need tagging. Jeffrey is working on building in the "subject" tag into the system; some sets have subject tags, other need it and will be added over the coming weeks. If you don't see a set on the archive, it's likely an issue with the tags selected. There's other features Ryan is working on such as sorting in the columns and some UI adjustments. I'm taking suggestions, so if you have any, please reach out to me on any platform!

From now on, I will not be giving monthly updates, but if you have questions, feel free to ask.
Ganon Evans
Stained Diviner
Auron

Thanks to everybody who worked on this!
David Reinstein
RexSueciae
Tidus

Post by RexSueciae »

One minor issue -- when attempting to search for Beliefs, the term "Beliefs" is the only one searchable. However, all the religion / myth packets are tagged with "Belief." Therefore, it is currently impossible to search for such packets because the only option is to search "Beliefs" (which no packets are currently tagged as having, since they're all tagged with "Belief").

Apart from that, looks good.
Vasa Clarke

Maggie Walker '14
Virginia '18
William and Mary '21
ScoBo
Rikku

Post by ScoBo »

RexSueciae wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:10 am One minor issue -- when attempting to search for Beliefs, the term "Beliefs" is the only one searchable. However, all the religion / myth packets are tagged with "Belief." Therefore, it is currently impossible to search for such packets because the only option is to search "Beliefs" (which no packets are currently tagged as having, since they're all tagged with "Belief").
My mistake - this is fixed now.
Jeffrey Hill • Missouri Quizbowl Alliance president • UMR/Missouri S&T 2009 • Liberty (MO) 2005
Post your tournaments, SQBS reports, and question sets to the Quizbowl Resource Center Database!
Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!!
Rikku

We've just added the ability to select your subject for a tournament. It appears as a button when editing the set on hsquizbowl.org. Selecting the button for "Specific Subjects" allow you to select a series of topics.

I'm going to start labeling some of the recently uploaded sets that didn't get tagged. Thanks to Jeff for implementing this!
Ganon Evans