The Quizbowl Packet Archive DESPERATELY needs an overhaul.

Old college threads.
jsugrue
Lulu

The Quizbowl Packet Archive DESPERATELY needs an overhaul.

Post by jsugrue »

More specifically, the collegiate section is a mess. Finding (regs-level) packets to read in our club's practice is made far too difficult by the fact that probably 50% of the packets in the "college" section are obtuse, single-packet open-level sets. This isn't what the majority of college clubs are reading, and it makes it much harder for new clubs to find good sets to read. I'm not suggesting we remove these from the site, nor am I condemning the writing and uploading of these. Instead, I'd suggest that they make up their own "Open" category, so we don't have collegiate-level sets in the same category as those seeking to "expand the canon". It's a simple fix, and one that will make things a lot easier to navigate and understand.
Jack Sugrue
Penn '23
Science Leadership Academy '19
Santa Claus
Rikku

Re: The Quizbowl Packet Archive DESPERATELY needs an overhaul.

Post by Santa Claus »

I think a solid improvement to the archive would be to have each row display additional information. As it is now it's only the name of a set, which links to the packets - previous changes have added stuff to the name like asterisks but I don't see why a more tabular format couldn't be adopted. Something like:

Code: Select all

Name of set        | difficulty by some metric (dots?) |               advertised difficulty              | quality
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2021 ACF Regionals |              ***                  |                   Regionals                      |   high
2020 ACF Winter    |              **                   |    halfway between ACF Fall and ACF Regionals    |   high
2011 UTC Moon Pie  |              ??                   |                      ???                         |   poor
Certainly the last column could be excluded, but having more information presented up front would be useful. It might even be able to be sorted by something other than date; imagine that!
Kevin Wang
Arcadia High School 2015
Amherst College 2019

2018 PACE NSC Champion
2019 PACE NSC Champion
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

Perhaps the "quality" column could be more like "Highly recommended or recommended?" -- basically, the database would be neutral to most submissions, and a select few could be marked as either recommended or highly recommended for new teams.
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
Bosa of York
Rikku

Post by Bosa of York »

It might in principle be okay to mark older tournaments that were panned by the community as of lower quality since that information can be of use to people looking for practice material who aren't going to be combing through the forums; the DB obviously shouldn't editorialize with current sets but I don't think anybody is going to be especially offended by commenting on Moon Pie or Modern World or whatever.
Eric Wolfsberg
Bethlehem Central High School 2016
University of Delaware 2020
Stanford 2025 or whatever
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

Post by Father of the Ragdoll »

I agree with Alex, I don't think it would be particularly helpful to highlight low-quality sets when compared to highlighting high-quality ones. At some point in the past, I thought that certain high-quality sets (especially regionals, fall, and nats) were bolded to indicate that they were considered quality study material. Doing something like that may be a better path rather than flagging poorly received sets.

As a sidebar, has it been discovered why 3 2020-21 sets are listed at the bottom of the page instead of in order? EDIT: thank you Robert for explaining this
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
The University of Texas at Austin - Ph.D. Human Development and Family Sciences, 202X; M.S. Social Work, 2021
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign - B.S. Psychology, 2019
Rockford Auburn High School - 2015
meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

It seems as if the discussion around this is being renewed.
Em Gunter
Club President, University of Virginia
Tournament Director, 2023 Chicago Open
Assistant Tournament Director, 2022 and 2023 ACF Nationals

Author of: My Guide to High School Outreach and So You Want to Buy a Buzzer System

"That's got to be one of the most useful skills anyone has ever gotten from quizbowl." -John Lawrence
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

I'm a bit behind on this discussion, but I definitely think its long overdue to have a separate tab for academic vanity sets (especially all of the single packet novelty sets) and non-trash side events to separate them out from the collegiate section. It would certainly make the archive more accessible for newer teams and more appealing to search through overall if the "collegiate" tab were restricted to actual all-subject college sets.
Ryan Humphrey
UT Austin (Cell & Developmental PhD Program, 2018-?)
Duke University (Biology and History, Class of 2018)
George Washington High School (Charleston, WV, Class of 2014)
Former PACE Member (2017-2019)
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

How big an overhaul do people think is needed? Adding a tab and doing some reorganization is a fairly simple process. But what about descriptions like advertised difficulty? If we’re talking about adding that information, who would maintain it? Crowdsourcing is an option, but then there needs to be a system of oversight and moderation. You can see how some relatively small asks make the project significantly more complicated.

A lot of things are possible here, but what’s really desirable?
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

Ehtna
Lulu

Post by Ehtna »

I think the most pressing issue is simply separating the full-subject tournaments from the vanity sets, especially if it's a relatively simple change. It's more in tune to Jack's original concern and would certainly make browsing through the collegiate page a lot less onerous, as others have pointed out. It could also make finding certain vanity sets easier on the off-chance that someone is looking for one. And while it may be helpful in that situation specifically to have short descriptions of each vanity set, I personally find that much less of a concern than just separating them from the typical sets.
Ethan Ashbrook [he/him]
Uni Lab 2020
Minnesota 2024
Ehtna
Lulu

Post by Ehtna »

Is there someone who's able and willing to just make a "vanity" tab or something else in that vein on the archive? I'd rather this thread didn't die for three months again with nothing happening.
Ethan Ashbrook [he/him]
Uni Lab 2020
Minnesota 2024
Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!!
Rikku

Post by Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!! »

Ehtna wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:22 pm Is there someone who's able and willing to just make a "vanity" tab or something else in that vein on the archive? I'd rather this thread didn't die for three months again with nothing happening.
I pinged Jeffrey Hill who owns the site on this discussion - I'd love to help organize the packets with him and will hopefully get something updated in the next few weeks.
Ganon Evans
Misconduct Representative
ACF President, PACE VP of Editing, MOQBA
Francis Howell High School 2018, University of Iowa 2021
miamc
Lulu

Post by miamc »

To everyone interested: an update to the archive WILL be happening this summer! You can read more here if you're interested in helping, or just learning more about the upcoming changes.
Mia McGill
President, PACE
PACE Representative, Quizbowl Misconduct Reporting Form
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud #1 Spot Holder, Ganon's Biggest Haters List