Where Are You Going Next Year? (Collegiate 2021)

Elaborate on the merits of specific tournaments or have general theoretical discussion here.
A Lust-Fanned Dairy Tale
Lulu

Where Are You Going Next Year? (Collegiate 2021)

Post by A Lust-Fanned Dairy Tale »

To quote all the previous threads on this topic:
It's that time of year again where people start to hear back from transfer applications, grad school apps, job offers, landlords, etc. and make plans to go places. Here is a thread in which current college players or members of the college quizbowl community can post where they'll be next. Please post only if you have something definite to share, though that includes things besides "I am going to x and such school for [Degree]"; more general notes on moving to a new metropolitan area as a non-student/non-player/employee interested in continuing to staff or do outreach, etc.
I'll start us off with the news that in the fall I am headed to the University of Mississippi to pursue a master's degree in higher education administration. My playing days are likely over aside from the occasional open trash tournament, but I plan to help out with staffing/etc. in the area as my schedule allows.
Sadie Britton

Director of Communications, PACE
PACE Representative, Quizbowl Misconduct Form

William & Mary '20ish
University of Mississippi '23
Twin Cities-based staffer & logistician for hire.

Whatever and ever, amen.
Limonana
Lulu

Re: Where Are You Going Next Year? (Collegiate 2021)

Post by Limonana »

I'll be in the Dayton area for the foreseeable future; I'll try to play opens in the Midwest. I'm also available to kick in some belief questions.
Nour Hijazi
Sidney '17
Wright State University '21
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

Post by Father of the Ragdoll »

I will be staying at UT Austin for the next ~4-6 years to pursue a Ph.D. in human development and family sciences.

Time permitting I plan to remain involved with QB!
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
The University of Texas at Austin - Ph.D. Human Development and Family Sciences, 202X; M.S. Social Work, 2021
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign - B.S. Psychology, 2019
Rockford Auburn High School - 2015
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

I'm not sure where I'll be living during the foreseeable future after graduation and probably won't know for several months, but I do know that quizbowl will stick with me wherever I am; I plan on the converse as well.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
jmarvin_
Wakka

Post by jmarvin_ »

I will be staying at the University of Chicago for the next 7 years (or fewer) for a PhD in Philosophy of Religions. I am excited to keep playing, writing, and otherwise contributing to the community!
john marvin
university of chicago - joint ph.d., philosophy and philosophy of religions, 2028
university of chicago - m.a. philosophy of religions, 2021
boston college - b.a. theology, 2018
halle
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by halle »

I will be moving to New York to attend NYU, where I will be completing a Master's program in Art History at the Institute of Fine Arts for the next two years. I'm very excited to keep playing!
Halle Friedman
Chicago 2020
NYU 2023
Kino Noir
Lulu

Post by Kino Noir »

In my continued effort to spend as little time at my actual university as possible, I will be studying abroad at Oxford next semester (assuming COVID does not get substantially worse between now and August). :party: Excited to let many a tossup on British geography go dead.
Aidan Leahy
UGA '23 but also UGA '24
———————————————————————————————
🌼
Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

My job is going full remote, so I am moving this summer, very likely back to Chicago but I'm keeping my options open. Other than that you can expect pretty much the same from me.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
AGoodMan
Rikku

Post by AGoodMan »

I'm moving to DC in May to start full-time work and plan on playing open tournaments and staffing events in the area.
Jon Suh
Wheaton Warrenville South High School '16
Harvard '20
kammajos000
Lulu

Post by kammajos000 »

I'm excited to announce that I will be going to the University of Minnesota next year. I already go there, but I just wanted to put that out there for all the people wondering, "Where will Joe Kammann be for his senior year of his undergraduate degree? Will he make an unexpected transfer?"
Joe Kammann
Wayzata '18
Minnesota '22
$5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy
Lulu

Post by $5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy »

I’m moving to Albany in the summer to start residency, would be happy to help out with stuff in the New York/New England area and maybe even Canada
Sam Rombro
Arizona '20
Maryland '18
Writer, NAQT (inactive)
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

I'm moving to the Austin, TX area and will be available to staff stuff around there or the Houston area starting around late October.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Post by Aaron's Rod »

kammajos000 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:37 pm I'm excited to announce that I will be going to the University of Minnesota next year. I already go there, but I just wanted to put that out there for all the people wondering, "Where will Joe Kammann be for his senior year of his undergraduate degree? Will he make an unexpected transfer?"
Per the quoted section of the OP, please do not post like this in this thread; this is for new information.
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
Smuttynose Island
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Smuttynose Island »

I have accepted a post-doc position in the East Bay area beginning in July. I look forward to staffing local tournaments, playing open events in person again, and no longer being allowed to work for NAQT!
Daniel Hothem
TJHSST '11 | UVA '15 | Oregon '??
"You are the stuff of legends" - Chris Manners
https://sites.google.com/site/academicc ... ubuva/home
On a lurgid bee
Lulu

Post by On a lurgid bee »

I am going to WUSTL next year for law school. I'll probably be a bit less active (not that I was particularly active this year) but I'll continue to play and staff things when I have time!
Last edited by On a lurgid bee on Sun May 02, 2021 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matthew Lehmann
Barrington High School '17
UChicago '21
WUSTL '24
ArnavS
Lulu

Post by ArnavS »

I'll be moving back to the US from Canada to start a PhD in econ at Carnegie Mellon (Tepper.)

Looks like they have a team, so looking forward to playing.
Arnav Sood
"We're not going to pay you to come to our tournaments" --- Paul Kasiński
NYU, 2014-2018
University of British Columbia, 2018-2020
Carnegie Mellon, 2021-
Sam
Rikku

Post by Sam »

I'm moving to Kansas City, Missouri to start a job at the USDA and am happy to staff local tournaments.
Sam Bailey
Minnesota '21
Chicago '13
dankosthenes
Lulu

Post by dankosthenes »

I'm headed to Michigan State for a PhD in Economics. I intend to play for MSU
Chris Danko (they/them)
OU '21
MSU '26
Searching for an honest toss-up
Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant
Yuna

Post by Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant »

In a few weeks, I will start a new job with the covid biorepository at Rush University Medical Center.

I'd like to give special shoutouts to Adam Silverman and especially Chuck Pearson, who both gave me good advice when I started trying for grad school a couple years ago. The revisions I made to my application materials almost certainly gave me an edge in my job search, even if the school applications were a total wash.
Farrah Bilimoria
Formerly of Georgia Tech and Central High School (Macon)
Dantooine is Big!
Rikku

Where are you going to college next year? (2021)

Post by Dantooine is Big! »

I've accepted my admission offer from The New School's MFA program in creative writing (dual concentration in nonfiction and poetry) for this upcoming fall. I'm debating studying a lot over the summer to try to become a generalist and solo tournaments…
Young Fenimore Lee (they/them)
Stevenson High School 2017
Stanford 2021
The New School 2023
Ohio University 2028
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

Barring any issues with the conclusion of the pandemic, I will be working in Guangzhou, China next year. I would love to staff tournaments in and around that area.
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
Inscrutable Fox
Lulu

Post by Inscrutable Fox »

I’ll be starting med school at WUSTL and plan to play as my schedule allows.
Annabelle Yang
Southside '17
Duke '21
WUSTL '25
Amethyst
Lulu

Post by Amethyst »

I will also be attending WUSTL for their MD/PhD program and hope to play for the 8ish years I am there!
Amith Punyala
Chattahoochee High School 2011-2015
Cornell University 2015-2019
WUSTL 2021-2029 (bruh)
Votre Kickstarter Est Nul
Rikku

Post by Votre Kickstarter Est Nul »

I'll be in the Nantes region (city tbd) next year; I'll probably try and stop by Britain to play some open tourneys!
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
Hot Soup
Lulu

Post by Hot Soup »

On a lurgid bee wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:53 pm I am nearly certain to be going to WUSTL next year for law school. I'll probably be a bit less active (not that I was particularly active this year) but I'll continue to play and staff things when I have time!
Inscrutable Fox wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:27 am I’ll be starting med school at WUSTL and plan to play as my schedule allows.
Amethyst wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:20 pm I will also be attending WUSTL for their MD/PhD program and hope to play for the 8ish years I am there!
:party:
Paul Lee
Dunlap '15
Penn '19
WUSTL '2X
AlexLi
Lulu

Post by AlexLi »

I'm planning to attend Georgia Tech for an MS in Computer Science, specializing in machine learning. I will probably remain active locally.
Alex Li
UT Austin (2016-2020)
GA Tech (2021-c.2023)
armitage
Wakka

Post by armitage »

Hot Soup wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:03 pm
On a lurgid bee wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:53 pm I am nearly certain to be going to WUSTL next year for law school. I'll probably be a bit less active (not that I was particularly active this year) but I'll continue to play and staff things when I have time!
Inscrutable Fox wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:27 am I’ll be starting med school at WUSTL and plan to play as my schedule allows.
Amethyst wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:20 pm I will also be attending WUSTL for their MD/PhD program and hope to play for the 8ish years I am there!
lol
Richard
Sygyt/Kargyraa
Lulu

Post by Sygyt/Kargyraa »

I will be doing an MPhil in environmental policy at Clare College, Cambridge next year, as I erroneously claimed last spring I would be doing this year at Pembroke College. Just as I intended to "continue" playing back then, I intend to resume playing this fall.
Zhenglin Liu
University of Toronto BASc MechEng 1T9+PEY, Engineering Science dropout
University of Cambridge (Clare College) MPhil Environmental Policy 2T2
efleisig
Lulu

Post by efleisig »

I'm heading to Berkeley for a PhD in CS. I'll likely play some harder sets and keep writing/editing/staffing as time allows :)

Eve Fleisig
UC Berkeley
Princeton '21 (club president)
Wootton HS '18 (club president)
TaylorH
Wakka

Post by TaylorH »

Assuming my defense in July is successful, I will be beginning a postdoctoral fellowship at Texas A&M University in fall 2021. I will be available to staff college events and play open tournaments in the east Texas area. I also plan to stay active in the community in a writing and editing capacity for the immediate future.
Taylor Harvey (he/him)
ACF
University of Florida B.S. Nuclear Engineering '17
University of Florida Ph.D. Nuclear Engineering '21
2021 ACF Nationals Champion
kitakule
Wakka

Post by kitakule »

I'll be joining Columbia's MD/PhD program in August. At the moment, I think I'm mainly interested in using the remaining time I have in quizbowl for outreach purposes - but I'll also try to play and staff tournaments when available.
Moses Kitakule
ESA '15
Yale '19
Columbia '28 (???)
nsb2
Lulu

Post by nsb2 »

Assuming the world doesn't come crashing down, I'll be starting my MA in music composition at the Estonian Academy of Music and Theatre in Tallinn this fall. This probably confirms the end of my time in quizbowl, although there's a very small chance I might show up in the European circuit at some point.
Pranav Sivakumar
Barrington Station MS '13, Barrington High School --> IMSA '17
UC Berkeley '21
rahulkeyal
Wakka

Post by rahulkeyal »

I'll be moving to New York City in August to start work as a software engineer - looking forward to playing open tournaments and staffing events in the area!
Rahul Keyal
Berkeley '21
Member, ACF
vengefulsweatermensch
Wakka

Post by vengefulsweatermensch »

I'll be starting law school at Stanford in August! I don't plan on playing competitively, but I'd be down to moderate tournaments / sit in on Botticelli at TAP (if y'all still do that?) as my schedule allows.
Nathan Weiser
LASA '14, Stanford '18, Stanford Law '24
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

Hot Soup wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:03 pm
:party: :party:
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!!
Rikku

Post by Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!! »

Glad I can finally say that I will be moving out to the Kansas City area for a job. I plan on staffing as many events as possible and to continue writing and editing. My family lives in STL, so I'd be happy to drive out to WUSTL for any events!
Ganon Evans
Misconduct Representative
ACF President, PACE VP of Editing, MOQBA
Francis Howell High School 2018, University of Iowa 2021
polofemilimc46
Kimahri

Post by polofemilimc46 »

Hello!
Next year I am heading to Antigua, Guatemala to participate in the International Volunteer HQ's Animal Care project.
Placements include a cat and dog shelter, a veterinary clinic and an exotic animal rehabilitation center which caters to crocodiles, snakes, lizards and turtles.
I will be given the opportunity to assist with a range of tasks that will help the animals to recover and regain their health, as well as teaching the domestic animals to socialize with humans through obedience training and companionship.

I have long dreamed of getting to a place where I could help someone who is unable to take care of themselves, and stay closer to nature in order to understand myself first of all....
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all its pupils."employee monitoring software
Emili Polof
Leland '19
Duke '23
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

I'm happy to share that I'm moving back home to Missouri, where I'll be teaching at an independent school in Kirkwood, just outside of St. Louis. I'm thrilled to be back in the state that launched my quizbowl career and to get back into a more active role with my compatriots in MOQBA. I have a goal to get more smaller, independent, and non-MSHSAA affiliated schools interested in quizbowl while I'm in the area.
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
adamsil
Wakka

Post by adamsil »

I moved to Boston in April. Feel free to shoot me a note if you're looking for staff at a local tournament, I have a car and am generally happy to help out when available!
Adam Silverman
BS Georgia Tech '16
PhD Northwestern '21
Aaron's Rod

Post by Aaron's Rod »

I was going to be coy about this for awhile to see how I managed school and working full-time, but a quizbowler just found me on the department website, so whatever: Starting this fall I'm a part-time, remote, but nevertheless PhD student under the good Dr. Jordan Boyd-Graber at the University of Maryland. (Tentatively in the CS department unless he lets me defect to Information Studies, because CS is hard.) I am still in the Chicago area for the time being.

I don't particularly intend to use my eligibility anytime soon because the FOMO of having so many friends as question-writers is real. If a Chicago-area tournament has an absolutely horrible number field size where n+1 would be much better, I suppose they can call me up (read: email me) and see if I haven't been spoiled on the set yet. (Or if the Maryland people really want me to show up to something I guess?? I do like visiting the DMV area.)
Alex D.
ACF

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Post by A Dim-Witted Saboteur »

Not a full year, but from late October until mid-November I will be in Monrovia, Liberia to coach their national quiz team. Afterwards, still tbd.
Jakob M. (they/them)
Michigan State '21, Indiana '2?
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
kearnm7
Wakka

Post by kearnm7 »

I’m pleased to say that I’ll be moving to Boston in November for a job. I expect to staff some tournaments in the circuit, hopefully beginning with ACF Winter at Brown!
Michael Kearney
Yale '20
ACF Site Coordinator, 2021 (Interim); ACF Nationals Assistant TD, 2021; ACF Nationals TD, 2022; ACF President, 2022-2023.
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

I'll be starting Georgia Tech's (remote) OMSCS Program next semester - if conditions allow, I plan on playing ACF Nationals for that team.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
knife emoji
Lulu

Post by knife emoji »

Very late to add that I'll be with the CDC in Arlington, VA for the next two years and will be around to help staff any tournaments in the D.C. area.
Hasna Karim (she/her)
Southside '17 | Yale '21 | MUSC '27
excessive dismemberment
Wakka

Post by excessive dismemberment »

Starting next semester, I will be at brandeis for their post-bacc math program, I'll be trying to play as much as possible
Rudra Ranganathan
University of Delaware
Brandeis University '23
University of Michigan '20
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

Post by High Dependency Unit »

I just took a job in New York, so I'll be moving about 30 miles southwest sometime this winter. Not sure how much I'll be available to play opens or staff stuff, but I'll try to when I can.
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Bowdoin College (club president) '21
bradleykirksey
Wakka

Post by bradleykirksey »

After a dozen years of college quiz bowl eligibility, I'm *finally* graduating and I'll be moving to Charlotte, NC, for a job, in January. If anyone needs tournament staff, I've staffed a few dozen over the years, I can usually count by 5's, and my laptop runs SQBS.
Bradley Kirksey
Mayor of quiz bowl at the University of Central Florida (2010-2015)
The club at Reformed Theology Seminary Orlando (2017 - 2021)
merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

As of this morning, I finished my MS in applied stats and plan to stick around Chicago for work if at all possible.
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight
34 + P.J. Dozier
Wakka

Post by 34 + P.J. Dozier »

Several months late because I didn't know this thread existed, but I will be staying in Chicago for about two more years, working in consulting (moving from one evil empire to another, I suppose). I will probably be quite busy but expect to have some time here and there to play open tournaments and staff (and obviously will continue to write and edit).
Wonyoung Jang
Belmont '18 // UChicago '22
ACF; NAQT; PACE
Aaron's Rod

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Aaron's Rod wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:26 am I was going to be coy about this for awhile to see how I managed school and working full-time,
I did not manage it well, and have quit yet another well-regarded grad program at a quizbowl-playing public university. Folks, the only thing worse than working full-time and being a student is when your spouse is also doing that.

I have genuinely nothing but good things to say about Jordan Boyd-Graber and UMD—if you can make the commitment, I recommend working with him! Feel free to contact me with any questions.
Alex D.
ACF