The Geography Front - Gauging Interest

Old college threads.
castrioti
Lulu

The Geography Front - Gauging Interest

Post by castrioti »

I am gauging interest in the format, location and timing for an open level geography tournament.

The tournament will be called The Geography Front. I started writing this tournament in 2007, but then entropy happened, life happened, and the set was lost. I found it again last May, and over the course of the pandemic I have been working to re-research, re-write, edit and complete it. It is somewhere between 63% and 72% done, which means there is a reasonable chance it could be complete by May-June timeframe.

The tournament was initially written in response to this dead thread from ages ago: viewtopic.php?t=2286

The tournament will be about 600 tossups of "pure" geography answer selection with distribution dictated by land area, population and diversity, but by popular demand of the vintage, some questions will contain at most one clue from other subject areas common to quiz bowl, and no geographical entity will be permitted any more than 15 questions. The extra-disciplinary clues will be present, but will not dwelt upon because this is a geography tournament, and one wouldn't be expected to win without having looked over a few maps.

I am using answer selection to control difficulty, and letting clues fall where they may along the pyramid. About 1/4 of the answers are ACF Fall-Regionals difficulty, 1/4 are Regionals-Nationals, 1/4 Nationals, and 1/4 expansionist (by design). I expect this to average out to be a 3.5-4 level tournament.

I would like this to be a singles tournament to expand participation, but am open to change if demand warrants (preferences?) I would also like for this to be an in-person tournament, but sometimes we don't get what we want, and if that's not possible by summer-fall timeframe I am likewise open to exploring online options. As far as location, I had considered a pre or post-Chicago Open option if there is time, interest and pending existence of that tournament (or any well attended in person open tournament for that matter). Otherwise, I would hope for multiple mirrors.

If there is no interest, I will either sell the questions or add the tournament to one of the question databases.
Wesley Mathews
Indiana University 2006
Occidental College 2001
The Altamont School 1997
Putnam Magnet 1993

"I have not brought you liberty, I have found it here among you" --George Castrioti, upon returning to Kruje, 1443
CPiGuy
Auron

Re: The Geography Front - Gauging Interest

Post by CPiGuy »

The tournament will be about 600 tossups
Holy shit what. I will go to great lengths to play this tournament.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

castrioti wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:21 am expansionist (by design)
let's go
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Lake Winnipesaukee Mystery Stone
Wakka

Post by Lake Winnipesaukee Mystery Stone »

Yes, I would love to play this (and imagine I would not be the only UK player)
Oliver Clarke
King Edward's School, Birmingham '11
Oxford '16
St Andrews '18
Oxford '23
Wynaut
Wakka

Post by Wynaut »

yes please

(This also gives me an excuse to push back my own WIP geography set another few months!)
Kenji Shimizu
University of Michigan '18
Summit Academy North High School '13
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

Post by High Dependency Unit »

I will absolutely play this.
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Bowdoin College (club president) '21
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Not sure how long these tossups are, but 600 tossups is 30 packets. Even at a tossup-only event you're probably looking at something longer than a typical tossup/bonus event. And if you're pushing for an in-person event I'm guessing in practice almost every mirror is only going to use a fraction of these packets. Maybe splitting into multiple events would be better?
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

I'm interested.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Asterias Wrathbunny
Wakka

Post by Asterias Wrathbunny »

Interested.
Victor Pavao
Acton-Boxborough '14, Villanova '18
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

yes plz
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
vishalsareddy
Kimahri

Post by vishalsareddy »

Would high schoolers be allowed to play this (assuming it's online and not in-person at a collegiate tournament)?
Vishal Sareddy
Lambert High '22
merxiterxi42
Kimahri

Post by merxiterxi42 »

I am definitely interested.
Last edited by merxiterxi42 on Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Max Yang
Ladue Horton Watkins '23
kyrkazakh
Kimahri

Post by kyrkazakh »

yes I said yes I will Yes

[also curious about to what extent high schoolers can participate]
Last edited by kyrkazakh on Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lucas Eggers
Choate Rosemary Hall '21
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Would it be possible to post a couple of sample questions?
Mike Bentley
MK-Subpar
Kimahri

Post by MK-Subpar »

I'm interested
Minh-Khanh Phung (he/him)
St. Mark Catholic School '16
Plano East Senior High School '20
Purdue University '24
$5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy
Lulu

Post by $5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy »

i'd play it
Sam Rombro
Arizona '20
Maryland '18
Writer, NAQT (inactive)
Subotai the Valiant, Final Dog of War
Wakka

Post by Subotai the Valiant, Final Dog of War »

Absolutely amazing
Daniel, Hunter College High School '19, Yale '23
The_Impaler_
Lulu

Post by The_Impaler_ »

I have interest.
Blake Andert
Burnsville High School '17
University of Minnesota '21

#2 Poster
Chandragupta Maurya
Lulu

Post by Chandragupta Maurya »

I'd potentially be interested if it ends up being held virtually!
Vimal Konduri
Cistercian Preparatory School '13
Harvard '17
Rikku
Location: a vibrant metropolis, the equal of Paris or New York

Post by 1.82 »

I would love to play this, but I would not love to play this online. Spending the day before Chicago Open in a room playing 600 geography questions would be perfect.
Naveed Chowdhury
Maryland '16
Georgia Tech '17
mmaitinsky
Kimahri

Post by mmaitinsky »

I have a great deal of interest in this tournament—the more individual geography events, the better.
Although I do prefer in-person quizbowl typically, I'm definitely (rather selfishly) favouring online here simply because, interestingly enough, geography. Even with a potential improvement on the covid front with more gatherings allowed, I wouldn't consider it prudent to cross the border anytime soon barring an absolute miracle.
Anyways, this seems like an incredible idea (600!?) so utmost respect for taking the time to write it!! I'm looking forward to hearing more about this!!
Marcell Maitinsky
he/him
UBC 2020–present
castrioti
Lulu

Post by castrioti »

Mike Bentley wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:55 pm Would it be possible to post a couple of sample questions?
Absolutely. I will post them Sunday night, one from each difficulty level. I will also likely be in a position to do a scrimmage round or something like it by mid-March. I am editing continent-by-continent / sea-by-sea, work full overtime and have a family, thus the slow-burn approach to this.
Mike Bentley wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:21 pm Not sure how long these tossups are, but 600 tossups is 30 packets. Even at a tossup-only event you're probably looking at something longer than a typical tossup/bonus event. And if you're pushing for an in-person event I'm guessing in practice almost every mirror is only going to use a fraction of these packets. Maybe splitting into multiple events would be better?
That is for sure a concern, especially if this ends up being an online event. The length of the tournament is due to the need to create breadth to justify the depth that I am targeting. I'm kicking around several ideas surrounding the formatting to make sure it would fit within a 12-hour day and that people would be able to hear most of the questions. One thing I think for certain is that a standard 20-question round is only minimally statistically viable for a geography tournament aiming on covering the world. 30 would be better. My vision right now is for 20 packets (might end up being 18 with tiebreakers); indeed depending on interest we might not play all. I'm thinking about it, and suggestions are welcome.
Wesley Mathews
Indiana University 2006
Occidental College 2001
The Altamont School 1997
Putnam Magnet 1993

"I have not brought you liberty, I have found it here among you" --George Castrioti, upon returning to Kruje, 1443
castrioti
Lulu

Post by castrioti »

vishalsareddy wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:08 pm Would high schoolers be allowed to play this (assuming it's online and not in-person at a collegiate tournament)?
Yes. I will turn away no one.
Wesley Mathews
Indiana University 2006
Occidental College 2001
The Altamont School 1997
Putnam Magnet 1993

CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

castrioti wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:59 am
Mike Bentley wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:55 pm Would it be possible to post a couple of sample questions?
Absolutely. I will post them Sunday night, one from each difficulty level. I will also likely be in a position to do a scrimmage round or something like it by mid-March. I am editing continent-by-continent / sea-by-sea, work full overtime and have a family, thus the slow-burn approach to this.
Mike Bentley wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:21 pm Not sure how long these tossups are, but 600 tossups is 30 packets. Even at a tossup-only event you're probably looking at something longer than a typical tossup/bonus event. And if you're pushing for an in-person event I'm guessing in practice almost every mirror is only going to use a fraction of these packets. Maybe splitting into multiple events would be better?
That is for sure a concern, especially if this ends up being an online event. The length of the tournament is due to the need to create breadth to justify the depth that I am targeting. I'm kicking around several ideas surrounding the formatting to make sure it would fit within a 12-hour day and that people would be able to hear most of the questions. One thing I think for certain is that a standard 20-question round is only minimally statistically viable for a geography tournament aiming on covering the world. 30 would be better. My vision right now is for 20 packets (might end up being 18 with tiebreakers); indeed depending on interest we might not play all. I'm thinking about it, and suggestions are welcome.
DECAMERON used 40-question tossups-only rounds and games were, I think, slightly shorter than standard 20/20 rounds but pretty similar in length. That could definitely be a possibility.

I agree that 20 tossup rounds are too short.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I'm not the intended audience for this event, but I think it would better as an online, all-day event due to its extreme length.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
castrioti
Lulu

Post by castrioti »

castrioti wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:59 am Absolutely. I will post them Sunday night, one from each difficulty level. I will also likely be in a position to do a scrimmage round or something like it by mid-March. I am editing continent-by-continent / sea-by-sea, work full overtime and have a family, thus the slow-burn approach to this.
Here they are, in order of ascending difficulty:

This river incises Funiculaire and Roc Percée Caves as it crosses its Plateau de Caux region. The remains of a temple to the goddess Sequana are found at this river’s source at Mt Tasselot. Lakes Settons and Chaumeçons are reservoirs whose damming has reduced upstream flooding on this river. This river receives the Loing above the locks at St. Mammes. This river’s estuary is subject to a tidal bore known as the mascaret that has been diminished over the years by dredging below Tancarville. Downstream flooding has historically affected this river’s Marais loop. The meanders of this river below the Yonne intersect a series of chalk escarpments known as its cotes as it approaches its main settlement, after which it absorbs the Oise beneath its main port of Gennevilliers, which serves a city with 37 bridges. FTP, name this river that empties into the English Channel at La Havre after flowing through downtown Paris.
Answer: Seine River

The Chifladores Escarpment casts a rain shadow over these islands such that Morro Spartan, a hill on the smallest member of this group, is almost completely barren. An airstrip serving these islands lies on the Cordon Peninsula. Their westernmost member contains their highest point, the Hill of the Innocents. The wreckage of the Dresden lies off Point San Carlos on one of them. A tsunami from the Maule Earthquake destroyed a former penal colony in these islands guarded by Fort Santa Barbara. That town, now a gateway to a national park protecting a namesake tuatara and a seal that were devastated by the introduction of pigs and goats, is San Juan Bautista. Isla Santa Clara is the smallest of these islands which were discovered by a captain attempting to avoid the Humboldt Current. A figure put ashore at the Bahía de Cumberland on Isla Más Tierra names its second largest member, Alejandro Selkirk. FTP, name this Chilean archipelago on which adventures by Selkirk inspired Robinson Crusoe.
Answer: Juan Fernandez Islands

Two lesser used lower routes to this mountain include the Zani Pass, and the so-called Norwegian route to the Barum Icefield. The chief western route to this peak begins in the Arkari Valley. To its north, seven valleys meet at its namesake Concordia Glacier, including a glacier which is named for this peak, but which actually leads to a saddle between the Naw Shakh and the Istor o Nal. The Dir Gol Zum is a satellite peak of this massif that consists of eleven separate summits. The southern approaches to this mountain, whose name means "King of Darkness," begin at the Khowar-speaking village of Soorwaht on the River Torkhov, and Shahgrom is the highest settlement before its Babu Camp. A philosopher who coined the term “deep ecology” named Arne Næss led the first team to ascend this peak. A valley to the north of this peak contains a salient that passes from Ishkishim to Tashkurgan, the Vakhan Strip. FTP, name this mountain that despite being the highest point in the Hindu Kush is located in the Chitral District of Pakistan, not Afghanistan.
Answer: Tirich Mir

The Barble Pools are a source of freshwater during this location's dry spells. In its southern reaches it is accessed via Bandage Pass past an entrenched meander called the Causeway and Fools Gold Corner. The center of the protected portion of this formation is marked by the intrusion of a dolerite dyke. The Edge is a cliff located above Sulphur Springs in this location. Kooigoedhoogte Pass overlooks Kanebis Bend and Four Finger Rock in this location that contains an oft-photographed sharp riverbend known as Hell’s Corner. This site of a 1905 victory of the Nama over the forces of Thilo von Throtha begins at Seeheim, and downstream of this feature its river enters the badlands of the /Ai-/Ais, which are continuous with the Richtersveld. The Hardap Dam controls the flow of water into this location, and before encountering this feature near Hobas, its river descends from the Naukluft Mountains. FTP, name this largest gorge in Africa, located on a northern tributary of the Orange River in Namibia.
Answer: Fish River Canyon or Visrivier Kuil
Last edited by castrioti on Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Wesley Mathews
Indiana University 2006
Occidental College 2001
The Altamont School 1997
Putnam Magnet 1993

AlexLi
Lulu

Post by AlexLi »

I would be delighted to play and appreciate the hard work on what I think is an underrepresented subject in quizbowl. I just wanted to ask: are there powers and/or superpowers on this set?
Alex Li
UT Austin (2016-2020)
GA Tech (2021-c.2023)
castrioti
Lulu

Post by castrioti »

AlexLi wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:27 am I would be delighted to play and appreciate the hard work on what I think is an underrepresented subject in quizbowl. I just wanted to ask: are there powers and/or superpowers on this set?
I've gone back and forth on this idea, and haven't decided yet. Once I have every question finished and edited for factual content I will decide whether or not to add "enhancement marks" or whatever the non-copyrighted terminology would be.
Wesley Mathews
Indiana University 2006
Occidental College 2001
The Altamont School 1997
Putnam Magnet 1993

Maurice of Madagascar
Kimahri

Post by Maurice of Madagascar »

I would come to this tournament without regard to what else was being played that weekend.

Dargan

[User was reminded to add affiliation. --management]
ashish
Kimahri

Post by ashish »

i'm interested

ashish duke
Last edited by ashish on Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
ashish
duke
hehs
nadph
Rikku

Post by nadph »

Same. EDIT: Maybe not.
Last edited by nadph on Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nikhil Desai
Bellarmine College Prep '12
Stanford '18 (leave of absence 2016-17)
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Given how hard most of those sample questions are and the sheer quantity of questions here, any consideration of making a version of this set just with the easier answers? I suspect that would get a much bigger interest. I'm personally uninterested in playing 600 tossups if 450 of them are going to be of the Juan Fernandez Islands difficulty or harder.
Mike Bentley
castrioti
Lulu

Post by castrioti »

Mike Bentley wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:52 pm Given how hard most of those sample questions are and the sheer quantity of questions here, any consideration of making a version of this set just with the easier answers? I suspect that would get a much bigger interest. I'm personally uninterested in playing 600 tossups if 450 of them are going to be of the Juan Fernandez Islands difficulty or harder.
I guess I'm surprised that Juan Fernandez Islands would be considered that difficult given the Robinson Crusoe clue, but maybe this is a lack of statistics problem with just four questions, or poor representation of the difficulty I was trying to exemplify. To me, that answer would be an ACF Regionals sort of answer (yes, it's been a while for me, but I haven't stopped reading the questions).

I guess the best response to this concern is to invite you (and all comers) to the reading of an exhibition match which I am planning to hold later this month or early next (TBA shortly in the appropriate thread). There are going to be some hard answers selected for this tournament, but there will also be some easy ones, and I'm still aiming at a middle ground, even if that middle ground is for an open tournament. In a 30 tossup packet, the distribution should be something like

7 easier (fall-regionals)
8 standard (regionals-nationals)
8 harder (nationals-championship)
7 very hard (open level, including expansionist answers)

So your 450 harder tossups should be closer to 300 if I've gauged correctly.
Wesley Mathews
Indiana University 2006
Occidental College 2001
The Altamont School 1997
Putnam Magnet 1993

castrioti
Lulu

Post by castrioti »

The Exhibition Match is happening and the announcement is here:

viewtopic.php?f=311&t=24986
Wesley Mathews
Indiana University 2006
Occidental College 2001
The Altamont School 1997
Putnam Magnet 1993

castrioti
Lulu

Post by castrioti »

All,

Here is the text of the exhibition packet read this morning for discussion.

THE GEOGRAPHY FRONT - A World Geography Tournament
Exhibition Packet

1. Among the nearly 30 people groups that inhabited this city are the Tharawal and the Dharag, many of whom still live in its suburb of Redfern. Its Nielsen Park contains the Vaucluse House, and a university in this city hosts the fragmented undulating façade of the Dr. Chau Chak Wing Building designed by Frank Gehry. Hornby Lighthouse guards the entrance to this city’s harbor, which is interrupted by peninsulas like Bradley’s Head Point, which hosts its Taronga Zoo. The Blue Mountains are located to the west of this city, and its northern limits extend past Lane Cove and Kurringai Chase to Macquarie Lake. The Palm Beach Peninsula is located northeast of this city whose Darling Harbor receives the Parramatta River at Port Jackson. Its Hyde Park Barracks were one of the many early prisons that operated in this city. FTP, name this city, found to the north of Botany Bay, home to an iconic Opera House, the capital of New South Wales and largest city in Australia.
Answer: Sydney or Cadi

2. Rivers in this state begin in the Jacarara Mountains and the Serra Vermelha, and its mild climate is attributed to its position south of the Borborema Plateau. A non-Cuban Bay of Pigs is located adjacent to Sancho Bay in this state, part of an island that also contains Leão Beach and the Forte dos Remedios, Fernando de Noronha. Intermittent streams like the Pajeú and Maxoto cross its drier cotton and coffee-growing Agreste region, while rivers of its west cascade from the Chapada de Araripe, a part of its high rocky Sertão. The Ipojuca River exemplifies the shape of this state and supports its central city of Caruaru. Most of its population is found in its east around port cities like Barreiros and Igarassu, as well as a city known for the umbrella-accompanied frevo dances of its carnival season and lies on the Capibaribe River. FTP, name this state located north of Alagoas and south of Paraíba whose city of Olinda is the easternmost city in Brazil and is located northeast of its capital, Recife.
Answer: Pernambuco

3. The false shark ray has only been found in this region. The Oued Chibka and the Khatt Atoui River only reach this area in the wettest of years, and though it possesses extensive shell middens, this haven for tarns from Greenland contrasts with the bleak dunes of the Guelb Azefal. This homoclinal ramp is characterized by large intertidal plains which are especially shallow between Cape Iouík and Tidra Island. This site which is continuous with the Côte des Phoques to the north receives nutrients from the Cap Blanc current, which supports this richest fishery in Africa, though only the Imraguen people are allowed to fish at this location that extends from Cape Timiris in the south to the Dakhlet Nouadhibou in the north. This area’s 15 minutes of fame came when a Pallas frigate bound for Port Louis ran aground here in 1816. FTP, name this wetland home of monk seals and piscivorous birds located on the Atlantic Coast of Mauretania which saw acts of triage, mutiny and cannibalism depicted in The Raft of the Medusa.
Answer: Banc d’Arguin

4. The El Guapinol Wetlands adjacent to this body of water are part of its Point Condega forest wildlife reserve, and like the nearby Jiquilisco Bay, it is one of two of its continent’s Hawksbill Turtle nesting grounds. A legend of treasure buried by Francis Drake surrounds the port of Guerrero on this body of water’s Meanguera Island. The Zacate Grande Island divides its northern reaches into the Bay of Chismuyo and the Bay of San Lorenzo, both of which are festooned by mangroves. This coastal base of the Lenca people receives the rivers Guascarán and Choluteca, while the Estero Real hosts its upstream port of Puerto Morazán. Another nation on this gulf has a port on its Isla del Tigre, though its largest port is La Unión, which lies beneath the Conchagua Volcano. Named for a prominent antagonist of Christopher Columbus, this is, FTP, what gulf defined by the Capes of Amapala and Cosigüina whose coast is shared between El Salvador, Nicaragua and Honduras?
Answer: Gulf of Fonseca

5. The nearest sources of gold to this national monument are part of the Chiredzi Mining District, though artisanal excavations by its country’s makorokoza indicate that some of its gold could be autochthonous. The construction of Kyle Dam on the Mutirikwe River drowned one of the archaeological trails associated with this place. Coins minted at Kilwa have been unearthed at this place. A ritual center associated with this home of the Gokomere contained six columns topped with its namesake steatite birds, one of which perhaps represents the bateleur eagle. That western enclosure, along with its royal enclosure, forms the acropolis of its Hill Complex, while a series of daga huts similar to those found at Manyikeni and Bumbusi surround a large conical tower within the ellipsis of its Great Enclosure, made of mortarless walls. Located southeast of Masvingo, FTP, name this stone city whose residents later founded the salt-trading Mwanamutapa Empire, part of whose name now designates a country.
Answer: Great Zimbabwe

6. A caldera lake in this prefecture’s Issaikyo Peak is noted for changing colors with temperature and is known as the Eye of the Witch. The Echido Sanzan-Tadami Quasi-National Park centers on Lake Tagokura in its extreme west. In its east, the Abukuma Plateau separates the coastal Hamadori region from its largely agricultural region of Nakadori. This is the first prefecture that lies to the north of the Shirakawa Barrier. The Bandai and Azuma Mountains meet in the northwest of this prefecture to the north of Aiku Wakamatsu and its Tsuruga castle, many of whose samurai committed seppuku on Mt. Iimori-yama. This prefecture, which is centered on Lake Inawashiro, is bordered to the south by Tochigi and Ibaraki and to the north by Miyagi and Yamagata. FTP, name this southernmost prefecture of Tohoku whose capital lies in a namesake basin east of the Ou Range, whose city of Inaki was destroyed by a 2011 earthquake and tsunami that caused a nuclear disaster at its Daichi reactor.
Answer: Fukushima Prefecture

7. A dialect spoken on the shores of this body of water contains borrowings of its extinct Kerek tongue, which is spoken in Khatyrka. The Shirshoff Ridge surfaces from this body of water as Cape Olyutor, while Blizhny Strait and Amchitka Pass define the southern boundary of its deepest point, which lies above what remains of the Kula Plate in Bowers Basin. The Tanaga Current warms this body of water, and Cape Navarin splits its Transverse Current into southwestward Anadyr and northeastward Lawrence currents. Its easternmost point is a bay between Kabych Point and Cape Newenham, Bristol Bay. The Korkak Coast and Chukchi Peninsula are found in its western shore, while on Norton Sound, the Iditarod terminates at one of the largest settlements on this sea, Nome. FTP, name this sea that receives the Yukon River located to the north of the Aleutian Islands which was named for a Danish explorer in the employ of Peter the Great, whose namesake strait lies between Alaska and Russia.
Answer: Bering Sea

8. The Alvord Desert in this physiographic region’s north is a giant saltpan created by the rain shadow of Steen’s Mountain, the longest single fault-block mountain on its continent. That section also contains Harney Valley, into which the Silvies River drains to Malheur Lake. Created by the isostatic collapse of the Sevier Mountains, many of its ranges such as the Toquima, Deep Creek and Panamint contain bristlecone pine forests, and its highest peaks, known as its “sky islands,” include Arc Dome, White Mountain Peak and Wheeler Peak. Valleys associated with those ranges host most of the world’s Carlin-type gold deposits, as well as silver mining districts such as Tonopah and Georgetown, and the Comstock Lode. FTP, name this region containing the Great Salt Lake and endorheic rivers like the Truckee and the Humboldt, which covers most of the US state of Nevada.
Answer: Great Basin

9. In one nation, a member group of this collection of peoples practice a type of feudalism among a chain of lakes called the ìzeggeghan. A caste system associated with them has as its base the Inadan. Another of their confederations is involved in a struggle revolving around the Imouraren Uranium Deposit. A matriarch of Tifalalt is claimed by these people who established a trade route passing through Sijilmasa and Oualatta, and ended at Idjil, while a diagonal route associated with them passes through Arouane and Taodenni before reaching Ghadames. Their principal groups are organized around the imgharan assembly under a leader known as an Amenokal. This people’s confederations include the southern Kel Tademaket, Aulliminden, and Ifora and the northern Azjer, who speak dialects of Tamasheq, all of whom use the Tifinagh Script. FTP, name this Berber-speaking people group responsible for most of the overland trans-Saharan trade that once ruled sultanates at Bilma and Agadez, noted for their blue veils.
Answer: Tuareg or Imohar (prompt on “Berber”) - Also accept T'amazight or variants before Tamashek is mentioned - be lenient

10. Rivers of these highlands, which are noted for waterfalls like the Soplaculos and the Salto de Yarumales, are also known for petroglyphs of the Angosturan cluture, the ancestors of the modern Tinigua people, many of which appear at the El Raudal rapids. The Duda and Ariari Rivers are sourced in these highlands which peak at the Pico del Gobernador. Those rivers also experience a rotational saltation involving quartzite pebbles which creates a feature that is also found in their Siete Machos channel, which are known as giant’s kettles. The Piedras Negras and El Aguila Rapids, found on a tributary of the Guayabera River, are infested by a namesake red herb endemic to its nation’s Llanos region. FTP, name this region at the intersection of the Amazon and Orinoco basins in the department of Meta, which gives its name to a national park that contains the Caño Cristales in Colómbia.
Answer: Serrania (or Tableland, Plateau, Highland, Rangeland, etc) de La Macarena

11. The Jason Islands form a far northwestern extension of this territory. One of this territory’s members contains the Hornby Mountains, reaches south to Point Meredith and contains a ria of the Chartres River in King George Bay. The Wickham Heights, which includes Mt. Usborne, is the chief topographical feature of the main member, which includes the Lafonia Peninsula. The Christ Church Cathedral is their main religious structure, which replaced a structure wiped out by an 1886 mass wasting event known as the Great Peat Slip, and is fronted by a whalebone arch. The alternate name for these islands comes from a population of French settlers from the village of St-Malo. They are defended by the Mount Pleasant military complex by a government that also administers the South Sandwich and South Georgia islands. FTP, name these bones of contention between Argentina and the United Kingdom, an archipelago administered from the windswept capital of Stanley off the east coast of South America.
Answer: Falklands or Las Islas Malvinas

12. The Abak River forest preserve is one of the few remaining stands of virgin wood in this highland region whose trees were cleared for tin and columbite mining in its Bukuru district. A namesake indigo bird is among the wildlife on display at a preserve in its Vongnifwel Hills near Rantya. This home of the Jerawa, Ngas and Baram peoples was a center of the stone age Acheulean culture as evidenced by hand axes recovered from Pingell and Mai Idon Toro, and its Nok Valley is associated with a terracotta ceramic culture. Both of its highest points are in a boulder-strewn bare grassland region known as the Wadi Hills, and are Peak Sara and Mt. Shere. The north flowing, but seasonal Jamaari and Misau rivers originate in this mixed savannah whose Maijuju and Lere streams flow west to the Gongola River, and its south-flowing rivers drain to the Benue River. FTP, name this highland region named for the capital of Nigeria’s central Plateau state.
Answer: Jos Plateau

13. The Izhora Plateau, which is located south of this city, crests in its highest neighborhood of Duderhof Heights. This city receives its power from the Sosnovi Bor nuclear station and by hydroelectric stations on, among others, the Vuoska. A house of birch logs known for its lavish interior stands on White Lake in this city which also contains the pink and white-striped Church of John the Baptist adjacent to its Chesme Palace. Lazarus and Tikhvin are cemeteries located on a thoroughfare of this city which crosses the Moyka and Fontanka Rivers on the Anichkov Bridge. The Griboyedov and Obvodny Canals serve this city whose conurbation includes Kotlin Island, and it stretches northwest to Zelenogorsk, including its suburb of Lakhta, and west to Lomonosov, while this city proper stretches from southwestern Admiralty to northeastern Vyborg. FTP, name this city whose gold-domed St. Isaac’s Cathedral may be seen from Senate Square on Nevsky Prospekt, and whose resident czars once ruled from its Winter Palace.
Answer: St. Petersburg

14. Khavtsgait and Sevrei are notable rock art sites in this region whose archaeological findings include the bone tools of the White Cave. The Bituut Rock was formed following a 1957 earthquake that shook loose a piece of its highest point, Ikh Bogd. Its Takhiin Valley has recently seen the re-introduction of Przewalski’s horses. Lakes Ka-shun and Su-ku, the sources for the Mulin and Tung Rivers, are fresh water sources, while Orog and Shara Burdu are salt lakes in this region. Most of its rivers end in clay flats known as takyrs. The Alxa Plateau is a southern extension of this region which lies to the southeast of the Junggar Basin. Many a raptor has been unearthed from its Flaming Cliffs of Bayanzag which are near the “singing” Khongoryn Els dunes in this region between the Dan Hinggan and Yin Mountains. FTP, name this dry region centered in Ömnögovi and Sukhbataar Provinces, a cold desert on the border of China and Mongolia.
Answer: Gobi Desert

15. This place’s parish church is one of two dedicated to St. Materiana, the other being at Minster. St. Nectan’s Glen is a waterfall on the coast of this former copper and lead-mining settlement. Its famous slate outcrops at Trebarwith Strand, which hosts the shipwreck of the Sarah Anderson. Another shipwreck, the Iota, is found at Lye Rock in its settlement of Boscastle. Noted for bronze age barrows at Menadue and Condolden, it contains an iron age castle known as Willapark. Penn Du is a promontory on an island off its coast that is home to either a former Celtic monastery or an estate of the Cornovii which partly lies on the mainland, but whose current structure dates to the 13th Century. According to Geoffrey of Monmouth, a figure disguised as Gorlois entered that structure, which was also a capital of King Mark, to impregnate Igraine. Merlin’s Cave also passes beneath that structure. FTP, name this ancient Cornish capital whose castle is associated with legends like Tristan and Iseult and King Arthur.
Answer: Tintagel or Trevena

16. The native name for this place, Oualichi, translates to “island of women.” Pinel Islet and Tintamarre Island are found off its northeastern coast, which is a marine reserve also containing the Anse Marcel and Petit Cayes beaches. The canyons of Culéta and Coulombier indent the northwestern edge of its central massif, which contains the high point Paradise Peak. This island contains a large lagoon on its west side whose Mullet Bay is noted for a population of red mangroves. That lagoon, which is connected to Nettle Bay and Simpson Bay, is the Great Pond, this island’s largest source of salt. Its southern edge is urbanized from Cupecoy Bay to Pointe Blanche, and includes Koolbai, St. Peter and Lower Prince’s Quarter, its largest settlement. Located between St. Barthélemy and Anguilla, FTP, name this only island of the lesser Antilles to possess a land border which is shared by France and the Netherlands, with capitals Marigot and Philipsburg.
Answer: Sint Maarten or Saint-Martin

17. The northern tip of this landmass is found at the 6-foot wide Grenen Beach, and the dunes of the Ruberg Knude have nearly consumed its northernmost lighthouse. It also boasts a sand covered church in its village of Skagen. Yding Forest Heights is the highest point in this region. The districts of Vendsyssel and Thy are considered the northern part of this landmass, though an 1825 flood of the Isthmus of Agger Tange cut them off from Salling and Himmerland. The Gudenåen and Kongeåen Rivers begin and end on this landmass which contains the peninsula Djursland and is located west of the islands of Als and Fyn across the Great Belt Channel. The Eider Canal crosses the southern part of this landmass which contains the German states of Schleswig and Holstein. FTP, name this peninsula to the south of the Skagerrak Channel containing the cities of Ålborg and Århus, Denmark’s mainland-European territory, which shares its name with a World War I sea battle.
Answer: Jutland

18. The principal source of this river derives from the glaciers of Gar Kangri and Gelandangong and has a name meaning “tearful,” while its furthest source is Jari Hill, part of the Tanggula Mountains. After plunging from its high plateau, where it is known alternately as the Ulan Moron, or the River of Golden Sands, it winds its way around the Bayan Har Mountains. It receives the Yalong as it exits the highlands, and its confluence with the Min marks its central course, where its basin is defined by the mountains of the Qin. The Qingjiang Reservoir protects settlements from floodwaters on its lower course, after which its levels depend upon discharge from Lakes Hong and Liangzi. It begins that course, which sees it merge with its principal tributaries, the Yuan, Xiang and Han, through features named Qutang, Wu and Xiling, which collectively name the largest structure on this river which supports Chongqing and Wuhan. FTP, name this river whose Three Gorges Dam is the largest in the world, the longest river in China.
Answer: Yangtze or Chang, Chuan, Jing or Wan Jing

19. A group of sea stacks called the Twelve Apostles lie north of this city’s neighborhood of Llandudno. The southeast approaches to this city are over its Sir Lowry’s Pass which overlooks Gordon Bay. A large Indian population at Pelikan Park dwells around its Zeekoevlei Lake, and dates from a 1975 policy that left in place its Malay Quarter, but re-settled much of its population at Mitchell’s Plain, or else confined it to Guguletu and Nyanga West. A historically racially segregated university in Bellville serves that relocated population, some of which still dwells in its Khayelitsha Township after their removal from its District 6. Its Duncan and Ben Schoeman Docks lie on a reclaimed acreage known as the Foreshore which lie on Victoria Basin. A southerly wind known as this city’s “doctor” often covers its chief geomorphological feature with a cloud known as its “cloth;” that feature is its Table Mountain. FTP, name this legislative capital of South Africa.
Answer: Cape Town

20. In this region, much of the development of lenses for photomicrography used specimens from the gardens of Monte Crea. A 5-year pilgrimage from Fontainemore to Oropa is made to a Black Madonna in this region which also contains the Sacred Mountain of Varallo and a structure entered by way of the Zodiac Gate and the Stairway of the Dead located on Mt. Pirchiriano. The Scrivia, Sesia and Dora Baltea rivers enter this region’s core, in which remnants of the language of the Insubrians is found in vinicultural morphemes of a dialect spoken in its southern foothills of Langhe-Roero and Monferrato. St. Michael’s Abbey and the castle of Cavour are located in this region which is defined by the Graian, Cottian and Maritime Alps and the mountains south of the Tonaro, and contains the westernmost extension of the Po Valley. FTP, name this region of the provinces of Alessandria, Vercelli and Novara that names a type of plain at the foot of a mountain range, governed from Turin in Italy.
Answer: Piedmont

21. The Birao and Malango peoples live at the center of this landmass, and the ‘Are’are live on its easternmost point at Marau Sound. Its earliest tools were recovered from Vataluma Posovi Cave in the Poha Valley. White River Village is a Gilbertese enclave on the northern coast of this landmass that is known for its Betel nut crop. Mt. Makarakamburu is a sacred mountain on this landmass which extends from Tiaro Bay to the Beagle Islands, and includes rivers like the Tenaru and Mataniko, which fall from the Kavo Range. Mt. Popomanaseu is the mythological origin of several people groups on this island. Another of its mountains that was referred to by an invading people as the “Grassy Knoll” is Mt. Austen. Bonegi Beach on this copra-growing island is popular with divers due to shipwrecks which are part of its nation’s “iron bottom.” FTP, name this island that contains the capital of the Solomon Islands, Honiara, that was also a notable battleground between the US and Japan in World War II.
Answer: Guadalcanal

22. Hematite is found in these mountains’ Aqtas Mine, and ruins of a Begazy-Dandybayer metal workshop in them was discovered in a canyon of the Karakengir River. A number of unexplained stone structures found in these mountains which contain curved decorative petroglyphs are known as its “whiskered barrows.” Its highest point bears a name meaning “the white mosque,” and towers over the “yellow plain” of the Saryarqa. This center of the Dasht-i-Kipchak steppe is located between the southeastern Betpaqdala Desert and the northwestern Turgay Valley. Mausolea found in these mountains include that of Ayak-Khamir, Bolgan Ana and Jochi, the only remaining ones belonging to the Golden Horde, as well as the mythic Alasha, its nation’s first khan. The signature of Tamerlane is found on a slab in Altynshoky Mountain, a member of this range. FTP, Akmeshit Peak is the highest point of what remote and desolate mountain range and spiritual center northwest of Zhezkazgan in central Kazakhstan?
Answer: Ulutau Mountains (or Ulytau)

23. This city’s Salim Ali Lake was named for one of its country’s most prominent ornithologists. Its Panchakkali Mill relies on water from the Harsul River and drains to the Kam. Its neighborhood of Rauza contains the Hamayat Garden, which lies outside its Kila-e-Ark Palace and overlooks Begampura. An early dynasty built a fortress entered by way of a bat cave to the west of this city, and a temple known as the twelfth Jyotrlinga to its north. This city was re-founded as Kharaki by an Ethiopian slave-turned-king who built its aqueducts after a plan to move the entire population of Delhi to its aforementioned Daulatabad fort by Tughluq failed due to its lack of water. It was first founded as Devagiri by a dynasty who built the Ellora Cave Complex to the north of this city. FTP, name this city of west-central Maharashtra founded by Malik Anbar as a new capital of Hyderabad, but best known for the Bibi ka-Maqbara, an imitation tomb of the Taj Mahal built by the son of its namesake Mughal conqueror.
Answer: Aurangabad

24. This city was founded on the land of the Itchyma people. The church runs many of its tenements known as callejones, which are commonly made of staw, mud and wood mixtures known as quincha. One of that church’s members contains Zurbaran’s Jacob and His Sons. Its densest population is found in its canyon district of San Juan de Lurigancho. Three of its seven hills are El Agustino, San Cosme and San Cristobal. Its El Olivar Park is the center of its financial district, San Isidro, and much of its wealth is concentrated from Magdalena to Miraflores, which includes the Costa Verde. The Chillón River meets the sea at its main harbor, which is shaped by the Isla San Lorenzo. Its baroque Palacio de Torre Tagle houses its Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and its Plaza de Armas contains many bright yellow baroque structures like its Palace of the Governors. FTP, name this city on the Rímac River which is served by the port of Callao, whose presidential palace was once occupied by Francisco Pizarro, the capital of Perú.
Answer: Lima

25. The building of the Pocinho Dam on this river drowned the paleolithic petroglyphs of the Canada do Inferno on its tributary, the Côa. Coal barges use this river west of Pedorido, while wine is trafficked west from the village of Peso da Régua. Rising on the Pico Urbión, its southern basin is delineated by the Sierra de Gredas. It receives the Eresma after passing its namesake lagoon, the port of its second largest settlement, and merges with the Támega just before meeting the sea at Matosinhos, where its silted mouth necessitates the seaport of Leixões. Another of its tributaries disgorges into it from the Embalse de Almendra, the Tormes, and it enters its main reservoir, the Villa Campo after flowing through Zamora and Tordesillas. Its chief political uses are as the boundary of provinces like Viseu and Villa Real, and its rapids form an international boundary on the eastern edge of Bragança. FTP, name this river that supports the city of Valladolid and meets the Atlantic at Oporto, a waterway of Spain and Portugal.
Answer: Duero or Douro River

26. The northern portion of this province is known for zinc deposits like those of the Caribou Mine, which are found in Restigouche County, and it also contains a lead smelter at Belledune. One of its principal rivers rises on Todd Mountain and enters the sea between Fox Island and Portage Island in Miramichi Bay, while the Topique and Nipisiguit Rivers rise on its highest point, Mt. Carleton. The extremely poor villages of one of its people groups, including Cap St-Louis, Guimond and Claire Fontaine were destroyed in the construction of a national park whose name is Micmac for “river of the long tide,” Kouchibouguac. That displaced people group celebrates a blessing of the fleet at its port of Caraquet on Chaleur Bay. Fort Beausejoir is found on the eastern border of this province which crosses the Isthmus of Chignecto near Moncton. FTP, name this maritime province of Canada, the only officially bilingual province, home to many Acadians, whose capital is Fredericton.
Answer: New Brunswick

27. Brecciated units of the Huenteguapi Sandstone indicate that the northern edge of this sea was the site of an astrobleme whose impact zone in its Freeden Seamounts led to the formation of the Arctic ice cap. Pfrogner Point and Cape Waite demarcate sections of its Eights and Bryan Coasts, while as it curves north it extends into Eltanin Bay and Marguerite Bay. Cape Flying Fish, which lies on Thurston Island is its western boundary. Its southeastern border is overlooked by the Buttress Nunataks, and includes the Rydberg Peninsula. This sea to the west of Alexander Island and south of Peter I island is partly covered by the Wilkins, George VI, and Abbott Ice Shelves. FTP, name this sea of the Southern Ocean located to the east of the Amundsen Sea and off the northern coast of Ellsworth Land, which is named for a governor of Kronshtadt who circumnavigated Antarctica.
Answer: Bellingshausen Sea

28. The Al Harrah Volcanic Field lies to the south of this region. The main water source in the west of this region is the Marj al-Ghuta. The Wadi al-Ghudaf begins in its high rocky southwest, which contains its highest elevation, the Khawr um Wual, while its generally lower northeast nonetheless contains the highlands of the Jebel Bishri. A transition zone to this region’s south, which contains an international tri-point at the Jabal Unazah is formed by the chert plains of the Al Ḥamad, while to its north in the Jabal ar-Ruwaq lies the salt plain of the Sabkhat al-Muh, which supports the city of Tadmur. Its western edge skirts the Qalamun Mountains and the Jebel Druze, and the provinces of Mafraq and al-Anbar meet in the center of this desert that is home to Dara-Oropos and the ruins of Palmyra. FTP, name this desert which forms a barrier between the Levant and Mesopotamia, found in eastern Jordan, western Iraq and northern Saudi Arabia, and named for the northernmost nation which it covers.
Answer: Syrian Desert or Badiyat al-Sham

29. A gauge to the activity of this mountain is a hot spring known as La Virgén, which is found below the mass of rocks and glaciers known as The Labyrinth. Cerro Colorado is a deformational feature near its summit whose periodic collapse sends debris flows west to the Plains of San José. The High-Altitude Water Cherenkov Gamma Observatory is located on the southwestern flank of this peak, the southern climax of a mountain chain that begins at Cofre de Perote which contains the extinct vents of Torrecillas and Espolón del Oro. Those early northwestern vents are now covered by the Sarcophagus. Ascent routes to this peak begin at the Piedra Grande and traverse the twin-tongued Jamapa Glacier. The Calcahualco lava flow and the Huatusco Debris Field are associated with this peak whose companion is the Sierra Negra, its nation’s highest observatory, which overlooks the crater Teteltzingo. FTP, name this tallest volcano in North America located on the border of the states of Puebla and Veracruz, Mexico.
Answer: Pico de Orizaba or Citlaltepetl or Poyauhtécatl or Teuctépetl

30. This city’s eastern neighborhoods lie on a reclaimed plain formerly known as the “sea of mud,” and its tallest hill is a mudstone chedi that once housed the now collapsed Saket temple. This city’s burgeoning population overflow is supported by low-income housing such as Din Daeng and Hua Mak. Lumphini Park is one of this city’s rare green spaces. Much of this city’s industry is concentrated at Sam Rong, while its warehouse districts are located south of the combined residential-commercial district of Sam Peng, which is a Chinese enclave. The Jewelry Trade Center and the Baiyoke Tower Complex are among the skyscrapers found around its Sukhumvit and Asok Montri within its Ratchadaphisek Ring Road. The sage Nagasena is attributed a jade statue on a golden throne that sits in this city’s Wat Phra Kaew, the Temple of the Emerald Buddha. Khlong Toei is this city’s main port. FTP, name this city whose Grand Palace lies within its Rattanakosin Royal Island along the Chao Phraya River, the capital of Thailand.
Answer: Bangkok or Krung Thep

Tiebreakers

31. The T-shaped Nusku Sanctuary is found south of this city’s royal enclosure, whose entrance contains temples to Pinikir and Simut. It contains several niches occupied by Kassite imitation banquet scenes that yielded several stone mace heads. The Kiririsha and Kishmitik-Ruhuratir Temples are part of this structure which is protected by walls including the Temenus. A sounding of Its Ishnikarab Courtyard indicates that this city southeast of Saleh Said was abandoned. Unlike Habnak, its tombs contain mainly cremated remains, and like the similar Dur-Kurigalzu, this faïence and gypsum decorated settlement was built of hand-inscribed cuneiform bricks, and was guarded by bulls and griffins. Ashurbanipal was the agent of destruction for this place located on a plain above the Ab-e Diz River. FTP, name this Elamite town whose ziggurat complex dedicated to Inshushinak was built by Untash Napirisha and excavated by Roman Ghirshman which is located in Khuzestan Province, southeast of Susa, Iran.
Answer: Chogha Zanbil or Dar Untash before “Untash” is mentioned

32. During the chalcolithic era this river was the boundary between the Tripolye and Cucuteni cultures. A canyon of the western basin of this river is noted for rivulet waterfalls cascading over moss which are known as its “maiden’s tears.” That canyon, which merges with the gorge of the Beremyanskyi also sees its confluence with rivers whose names mean “golden linden” and “rotten linden,” and terminates near the village of Zbruch. A lowland oxbow of this river is guarded by the fortress of Tighina. At the sea, its namesake liman separates Ovidiopol and Bilhorod, and the resort of Zatoka is located at its mouth. A dam near Dubăsari interrupts shipping lines on this river that begin at Soroca at its confluence with the Răut, its longest tributary. That section also separates the districts of Rezina and Rîbniţa, which is the second largest city in a breakaway region located to the east of this river. FTP, name this river which supports that region’s capital Tiraspol, and separates it from the rest of Moldova.
Answer: Dneistr River or Nistrul

33. Cape Batumancong is the northernmost reach of this landmass, which lies adjacent to a bay that contains formations like Tako Toko Toko, or Castle Rock, and Crystal Rock. That bay, Gili Lawa, indents its coast to the north of Mt Satalibo, while another bay is home to a fishing village whose population is descended from prisoners of a sultanate that once lay to its west. Batu Balong is a split pinnacle off its eastern coast that is known for its red coral. Foraminifera mixes with that coral at a point east of Toro Kelenta on this island to form its Pantai Merah, a pink sand beach which faces the Linta Strait. Much of its wildlife is concentrated in the Poreng Valley or along the dry creek bed of Banu Nggulung. This island to the east of the Sape Strait is almost entirely covered by a national park administered from Loh Liang which protects a beast known locally as the ora which is also found on nearby Rinca Island. FTP, name this Lesser Sunda Island between Flores and Sumbawa, known for its namesake dragons.
Answer: Komodo Island

Extras

34. This river incises Funiculaire and Roc Percée Caves as it crosses its Plateau de Caux region. The remains of a temple to the goddess Sequana are found at this river’s source at Mt Tasselot. Lakes Settons and Chaumeçons are reservoirs whose damming has reduced upstream flooding on this river. This river receives the Loing above the locks at St. Mammes. This river’s estuary is subject to a tidal bore known as the mascaret that has been diminished over the years by dredging below Tancarville. Downstream flooding has historically affected this river’s Marais loop. The meanders of this river below the Yonne intersect a series of chalk escarpments known as its cotes as it approaches its main settlement, after which it absorbs the Oise beneath its main port of Gennevilliers, which serves a city with 37 bridges. FTP, name this river that empties into the English Channel at La Havre after flowing through downtown Paris.
Answer: Seine River

35. The Chifladores Escarpment casts a rain shadow over these islands such that Morro Spartan, a hill on the smallest member of this group, is almost completely barren. An airstrip serving these islands lies on the Cordon Peninsula. Their westernmost member contains their highest point, the Hill of the Innocents. The wreckage of the Dresden lies off Point San Carlos on one of them. A tsunami from the Maule Earthquake destroyed a former penal colony in these islands guarded by Fort Santa Barbara. That town, now a gateway to a national park protecting a namesake tuatara and a seal that were devastated by the introduction of pigs and goats, is San Juan Bautista. Isla Santa Clara is the smallest of these islands which were discovered by a captain attempting to avoid the Humboldt Current. A figure put ashore at the Bahía de Cumberland on Isla Más Tierra names its second largest member, Alejandro Selkirk. FTP, name this Chilean archipelago on which adventures by Selkirk inspired Robinson Crusoe.
Answer: Juan Fernandez Islands

36. Two lesser used lower routes to this mountain include the Zani Pass, and the so-called Norwegian route to the Barum Icefield. The chief western route to this peak begins in the Arkari Valley. To its north, seven valleys meet at its namesake Concordia Glacier, including a glacier which is named for this peak, but which actually leads to a saddle between the Naw Shakh and the Istor o Nal. The Dir Gol Zum is a satellite peak of this massif that consists of eleven separate summits. The southern approaches to this mountain, whose name means "King of Darkness," begin at the Khowar-speaking village of Soorwaht on the River Torkhov, and Shahgrom is the highest settlement before its Babu Camp. A philosopher who coined the term “deep ecology” named Arne Næss led the first team to ascend this peak. A valley to the north of this peak contains a salient that passes from Ishkishim to Tashkurgan, the Vakhan Strip. FTP, name this mountain that despite being the highest point in the Hindu Kush is located in the Chitral District of Pakistan, not Afghanistan.
Answer: Tirich Mir

37. The Barble Pools are a source of freshwater during this location's dry spells. In its southern reaches it is accessed via Bandage Pass past an entrenched meander called the Causeway and Fools Gold Corner. The center of the protected portion of this formation is marked by the intrusion of a dolerite dyke. The Edge is a cliff located above Sulphur Springs in this location. Kooigoedhoogte Pass overlooks Kanebis Bend and Four Finger Rock in this location that contains an oft-photographed sharp riverbend known as Hell’s Corner. This site of a 1905 victory of the Nama over the forces of Thilo von Throtha begins at Seeheim, and downstream of this feature its river enters the badlands of the /Ai-/Ais, which are continuous with the Richtersveld. The Hardap Dam controls the flow of water into this location, and before encountering this feature near Hobas, its river descends from the Naukluft Mountains. FTP, name this largest gorge in Africa, located on a northern tributary of the Orange River in Namibia.
Answer: Fish River [/b]Canyon or Visrivier Kuil
Wesley Mathews
Indiana University 2006
Occidental College 2001
The Altamont School 1997
Putnam Magnet 1993

castrioti
Lulu

Post by castrioti »

This tournament is ready and the tentative announcement for it is at

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25125

Vote for your preferred date.
Wesley Mathews
Indiana University 2006
Occidental College 2001
The Altamont School 1997
Putnam Magnet 1993

castrioti
Lulu

Post by castrioti »

We have settled into the 3rd slot on August 22, 2021 following Chicago Open. The tournament will be abbreviated to accommodate those not wishing to stay in Chicago for another night.

Interest sheet is here

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Gmz ... cnolY/edit

Also e-mail me at mathewswesleya at gmail.com or send me a PM on this site to indicate your interest.
Wesley Mathews
Indiana University 2006
Occidental College 2001
The Altamont School 1997
Putnam Magnet 1993