Spring Novice writer application

Old college threads.
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Spring Novice writer application

Post by ryanrosenberg »

I am pleased to announce that the Spring Novice set is accepting applications for writers. I am particularly looking for applications for new and less-experienced writers who would like more opportunities to write questions and receive feedback.

Application
The application asks for a brief summary of your prior writing and quizbowl experience, which categories you would be interested in writing for, a writing sample, and a short description of how you approached writing one of the tossups in your writing sample.

For the writing sample, please submit at least 3 tossups and 3 bonuses in the top-level categories you would like to write. If you would like to write in more than 3 top-level categories (e.g. History, Literature, Arts, and Popular Culture), you should submit at least 1 tossup and 1 bonus for each top-level category.

Questions for the writing sample may be previously-written questions, and may be questions that have been posted publicly, but they should reflect your original work, and should not have been revised based on anyone else's feedback. For example, a question written for an ACF Fall submission would be acceptable for the writing sample, but the final edited version of the question would not be. Questions do not have to be of the same difficulty as Spring Novice (i.e. easier than ACF Fall and written for players with no quizbowl experience), but please indicate the difficulty level that the question is intended to be at, or the set it was written for (e.g. "high school regular", "ACF Regionals submission").

Timeline
  • October 24: Application opens
  • December 1: Application closes
  • December 15: Writer decisions go out
  • January 15: First batch of questions due
  • February 15: Second batch of questions due
  • March 15: Editing done, playtesting begins
The batch sizes will vary depending on a writer's assignment and the number of writers on the set. I'm targeting having 15-20 writers on the set, so each batch will be approximately 12-15 questions, to give a sense of the commitment required from each writer.

Payment
Exact writer payment will depend on the number of teams playing the tournament, but I anticipate it being somewhere in the range of $5 per question.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Re: Spring Novice writer application

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Reminder that the deadline for this is in two weeks!
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Re: Spring Novice writer application

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Tuesday is the deadline to apply! Please make sure to get your applications in by 11:59 Pacific time, or PM me here or email at [email protected] if you need some more time.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF