Eligibility exceptions?

Old college threads.
tiwonge
Yuna

Eligibility exceptions?

Post by tiwonge »

One of our students is taking the semester off because of COVID, but says he plans to return for the spring semester.

I know that in the reverse case (taking classes in the fall but not the spring), players are generally eligible to play in the spring. Is there any way we can petition for an exemption for him so that he can compete in the fall? I realize that "planning to enroll in the spring" is hard to prove, especially before the enrollment process starts at school, but I wanted to at least raise the possibility, for him and for others who might be in a similar situation.
Colin McNamara, Boise State University
Member, PACE
Idaho Quiz & Academic Teams
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

Re: Eligibility exceptions?

Post by Father of the Ragdoll »

tiwonge wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:51 am One of our students is taking the semester off because of COVID, but says he plans to return for the spring semester.

I know that in the reverse case (taking classes in the fall but not the spring), players are generally eligible to play in the spring. Is there any way we can petition for an exemption for him so that he can compete in the fall? I realize that "planning to enroll in the spring" is hard to prove, especially before the enrollment process starts at school, but I wanted to at least raise the possibility, for him and for others who might be in a similar situation.
By my understanding, ACF and NAQT rules would prohibit this but they both (I believe) also have exception request procedures. For any set not directly tied to either of them, I imagine you could petition the set editors and the hosts and given the circumstances, many of them may sympathetic and allow it.
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
The University of Texas at Austin - Ph.D. Human Development and Family Sciences, 202X; M.S. Social Work, 2021
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign - B.S. Psychology, 2019
Rockford Auburn High School - 2015
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: Eligibility exceptions?

Post by Important Bird Area »

NAQT eligibility rules C.4 wrote:A player may appear in an event prior to undertaking the course or engaging in non-course work; teams should note that failure to undertake the required course or non-course work renders a player retroactively ineligible and subjects the team to the penalty described in Eligibility Rule 10.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred