ACF Fall 2019 Specific Question Discussion and Errata

Old college threads.
Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!!
Rikku

Re: ACF Fall 2019 Specific Question Discussion and Errata

Post by Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!! »

Mahavishnu wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:01 pm
Victor Prieto wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:38 pm
ganman0305 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:55 pm Hey Drew and Chandler, just as an example of this from this year's packet, we had 3-4 different submissions from different teams all on Fire Emblem, which was synthesized into one question. Similarly, there were like 3-4 submissions all about Frankenstein, which turned into just one final question. With the canon of Fall, its hard to not have at least some level of layover, and as Chandler said, it does happen at Regionals as well.
Question: can you clarify what you mean when you wrote "synthesized into one question" and "turned into just one final question?" Do you mean a sentence from a Frankenstein question in Purdue B's submission was combined with sentences picked from Frankenstein questions in other submissions to build a final (pardon the pun) Frankenstein question?
I'm not Ganon, but to provide my own relevant input, assuming a certain topic will see use in the set, multiple submissions on that same topic will inevitably be "boiled down" to a single question, regardless of the number of original submissions. As mentioned above, both the packet submission model and the relatively smaller amount of askable material at this difficulty level will all but ensure that some team will hear questions on material similar to that which they submitted. Certainly, no plurality of questions from differing submissions will be combined Frankenstein-esque (unless I suppose, that the submissions of the teams in question are planned to be grouped together into the same packet, although from my experience, the editing process typically wouldn't work like that anyways). While whatever final edited question certainly may (unintentionally) overlap with clues provided in other submissions, this is often unavoidable, and it certainly wouldn't occur by choice (or by the method you described).
Oh goodness, yes! All spooky puns aside, there were no instances of combining questions together with one clue from one packet, and then another clue from a different one. I meant to say that of all the submissions on one topic, we could only have one in the final distribution. With this being said, nobody's clues were combined.
Ganon Evans
Misconduct Representative
ACF President, PACE VP of Editing, MOQBA
Francis Howell High School 2018, University of Iowa 2021
excessive dismemberment
Wakka

Re: ACF Fall 2019 Specific Question Discussion and Errata

Post by excessive dismemberment »

[10] After the Æsir kill Thjazi and recover the apples, Odin attempts to appease Skadi by turning Thjazi’s eyes into
one of these things. To resolve a paradox, Zeus turns Laelaps and the Teumessian fox into two of these objects.
Sorry if I'm being nit-picky, and maybe this wasn't an issue in the actual, but doesn't zeus turn laelaps and the fox to stone first? That feels to me like something that could confuse people
Rudra Ranganathan
University of Delaware
Brandeis University '23
University of Michigan '20