2018-19 Players Choice Awards

Old college threads.
Victor Prieto
Auron

2018-19 Players Choice Awards

Post by Victor Prieto »

Nominations are now open for the 2018-19 Players Choice Awards. The nominations form will close Saturday, June 29th.

If you would like to suggest new awards, send me a private message or an email with your idea by Saturday, June 22nd, and I'll consider it.

Voting is now open. The form will close on Wednesday, July 10th.

Some notes:
  • Jason Golfinos is ineligible to receive the Nicest Person of the Year award. I haven't decided a time limit for when people can be eligible to repeat an award, but it will probably be 3-5 years.
  • Question Set of the Year is anything listed here, plus any sets that you know of that definitely took place this year but aren't listed. If the question set is listed in the 2017-18 section, it's ineligible.
  • For the Wrong Answer of the Year and Question of the Year awards, DO NOT nominate questions from the following question sets: any NAQT set, 2018 Ohio Trash, 2019 FST, 2019 STAR BOWL, ACRONYM 12. If you have a set that you wish to add to this list, please let me know.
  • In addition, the only questions eligible to be nominated must be from sets that are up for the Question Set of the Year award (meaning, the question is from this year).
Descriptions for each award (unchanged from last year):

4th Scorer of the Year

Awarded to the best player who scored the lowest number of points on any team that competed at ICT or ACF Nationals. "Best" is defined as most valuable at securing wins for their team compared to the other players on the ballot.

Newcomer of the Year

Awarded to the best collegiate player who had not participated in any pyramidal quizbowl tournament prior to this year.

Set of the Year

Awarded to the best tournament of the year announced at a difficulty level below Nationals.

Wrong Answer of the Year

Awarded to the funniest wrong answer from this year, whether it was a tossup or a bonus.

Most Improved Player of the Year

Awarded to the player who has improved the most since the previous year.

Nicest Person of the Year

Awarded to the kindest person who brightens people's day at tournaments, who we should all try to emulate.

Question of the Year

Awarded to the tossup or bonus that was most entertaining to players hearing the question. Do NOT submit questions from sets that have not yet been cleared.

Rookie of the Year

Awarded to the best collegiate player who had not competed in any collegiate tournament prior to September 2018 (collegiate or open tournaments played as a high school or dual-enrolled student are excluded from this definition).

Upset of the Year

Awarded to the team that pulled off the most notable single game upset of the year.
Last edited by Victor Prieto on Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE
Tower Hill School '11 | Rice University '15 | Penn State University '21
Writer: NAQT (2019-present) | Writer, Editor: HSAPQ (2013-2016)
Member (and lots of other stuff): PACE (2015-present)
Santa Claus
Rikku

Re: 2018-19 Players Choice Awards

Post by Santa Claus »

I'd like to present the following games as potential candidates for upset of the year:

Sun God @ JHU: Robert Bork A 235 - JHU A 230
James Kuang/Kevin Wang/Benjamin Xu/Fred Zhang (8-3), the high schoolers of Naveed Bork Memorial High, beat Robert Chu/Eric Bobrow (8-3). Kevin Wang doesn't get any points though.

Sun God New England: Yale B 300 - Yale A 285
James Wedgwood/Hasna Karim/Michael Kearney/Sophie Lai (6-3) give Stephen Eltinge/Adam Fine/Moses Kitakule/Alex Hu (10-1) their only loss of the day by going 6/6/0 with a whopping 13.64 PPB.

Sun God @ UIUC: MSU A 350 - Chicago A
MSU A 395 - Chicago A 190
Evan Suttell/Jakob Myers/Harris Bunker/Erik Bubolz (10-2) defeat John Lawrence/Matthew Lehman/Kai Smith (9-3) in a moment when they are fourth scorer-less. I think this is the advantaged final but since some doofus entered in the stats incorrectly it's hard to tell.

Terrapin @ MIT: House 310 - Yale 260
Shuli Jomes/David Do/David Gomez/Swapnil Garg (4-5) beat a shorthanded Stephen Eltinge/Moses Kitakule (9-2).

Terrapin @ MIT: Yale 370 - Columbia 345
Stephen Eltinge/Moses Kitakule beat Ben Zhang/Rafael Krichevsky/Charlie Dees/Gerhardt Hinkle (8-3) on their own. After Adam Fine arrives they win twice more, but the first is most impressive because it was carried by Moses and Stephen on their own going 3/1/0 and 3/4/0 respectively.

Terrapin @ MIT: Brown 240 - Amherst 210
Ankush Bajaj/Evan Pandya/Ujwal Punyamutyula/Daniel Wang (2-8) show why they were each top players in high school by beating Kevin Wang/Andy Tang/Boyang Jiao (5-6) after they neg 6 times, and then promptly just leave after lunch and forfeit their last three games???

Terrapin @ MSU: Wright State 305 - MSU A 285
NourEddine Hijazi/Aaron Jensen/Hari Parameswaran (8-4) take down Evan Suttell/Jakob Myers/Erik Bubolz (10-4) after out-PPB-ing them while led by high schooler Hari Parameswaran, who also takes them to two victories over Toronto J.

Terrapin @ Washington: UW A + UBC 425 - UW B + Oregon 150
If I'm reading this right, Arnav/Nate (UBC, 6-12) and Vikshar/Alex (UW A, 10-8) beat Ajay/Chris (UW B, 6-12) and Daniel (Oregon, 14-4) after their combined team combines for 6 powers and Daniel negs 4 times.

Terrapin Online: V. S. Naipaul's Drag Race 630 - Chauhan et al. 160
Geoffrey Chen/Neil Vinjamuri/Alex Schmidt/Eric Mukherjee (6-3) watch as Eric Mukherjee shows up after being gone for like 4 rounds and drops 12/1/1 on the otherwise closely matched P.C. Chauhan/Ryan Humphrey/Dylan Minarik/Michael Coates (6-3).

SCT Canada: Carleton A 290 - Toronto A 235
Ian Dewan/Ted Gan/Alex Roeder (5-5) beats Rein Otsason/Zhenglin Liu/Christopher Sims/Paul Kasinski (7-3) after Toronto negs 6 times.

SCT Canada: Toronto A 385 - Toronto J 240
Toronto A 325 - Toronto J 270
Toronto A (7-3) manages to win two games against the much stronger Toronto J squad of Aayush Rajasekaran/Jay Misuk/Patrick Liao (6-4) by somehow having more points than them at the end of the game. It seems like these victories were achieved by getting more tossups each game, while also having a high PPB.

SCT Florida: Florida C 295 - Florida B 150
Jenna Callison/Kayla Kalhor/Joseph Rios/Jason Zappulla (5-5) beat eventual winners Anthony Delgado/William Grossman/Jacob Hujsa/Khanh Nguyen (10-2) by going 1/13/0 and 10.71 PPB after Florida B negs 4 times.

SCT Great Lakes: Carnegie Mellon B 370 - Carnegie Mellon A 295
Ruel Beresford/Muling He/Samuel Hori/Aidan Place (9-4) beat their A team of Gabriel Chuang/Sebastien La Duca/Muzaffer Tasoglu/Jackie Wu (10-2) in DII.

SCT Midwest: UIC 260 - Grinnell 225
Cyril Dela Rosa/Richard Foster/Christopher Salgado/Joseph Shen (2-9) beat Christina Fu/Nick Haeg/Eva Hill/John Stookey (5-6) in a DII game in which Christopher and Joseph combine for 2 powers and 70 PPG (41.5 PPG and 2.1 standard devs higher than their combined average) and UIC gets 17.78 PPB (a full 5.17 PPB higher than their average over the day).

SCT Mid-Atlantic: Virginia A 825 - Roanoke 20
In a stunning victory for the NAQT SCT policy, Nick Collins/Eric Xu/Jack Mehr/Lawrence Simon (12-0) narrowly squeak out a victory over Megan Blackwell/Olivia Long/Sara Moody/Nathan (2-8). Roanoke, a regional powerhouse that routinely sends teams to DII SCT every other year, finished just above West Virginia (0-7), which was a series of empty chairs that forfeited every match.

SCT New England: Amherst A 380 - Yale A 195
Amherst A 360 - Yale A 340
Amherst A 330 - Yale A 290
Boyang Jiao/Andy Tang/Kevin Wang/Eliot Williams (8-1) manages to win against Stephen Eltinge/Adam Fine/Hasna Karim/Michael Kearney/Moses Kitakule (5-4, missing Jacob Reed) 3 times at SCT while getting 18.89 PPB to their 20.94, winning by 185 the first game even after negging 7 times.

SCT New England: MIT A 355 - Yale A 310
MIT A 315 - Amherst A 300
Clare Keenan/Kevin Li/Eric Lu/Josh Xiong (3-6) beat both the two top teams at the New England SCT by going completely ham.

SCT Northwest: Washington B (DII) 245 - Oregon 175
Vikshar Athreya/Ajay Kristipati (3-6) beat eventual winner Daniel Hothem (8-2) in a combined DI/DII field.

SCT Northern California: Stanford A 285 - UC Berkeley A 280
Bryce Hwang/Young Fenimore Lee/Keoni Rodriguez/Marianna Zhang (5-7) beat Eric Chen/Rohin Devanathan/Rahul Keyal (10-3)

SCT South: Texas A 680 - Texas A&M A (UG) 75
Ryan Humphrey/Ashwath Seetharaman/Jaskaran Singh/Graham Stockton (11-0) eke one out against Ryan Block/Manuel Ramirez/Elias Sanchez (1-8) in another stunning win for NAQT's decision to merge DI and DII fields in weak regions. Texas A&M B literally leaves early out of excitement.

SCT Southeast: Auburn-Montgomery 80 - Carson-Newman 60
Myeshia Daughtry/Tydazia Gamble/Dakota Mills/Elizabeth Meads (1-10) take one off Ben Blakely/Tim Quintalia/Chase Smidt/Chandler Everhart (4-8) in Auburn-Montgomery's highest scoring game of the day as they catch Carson-Newman off guard in an atypically weak performance.

PIANO @ JHU: Delgina 300 - More Ravioli 290
Nick Collins/Jack Mehr/Eric Wolfsberg/Rohan Narayan (9-3) beats Jordan Brownstein/JinAh Kim/Ophir Lifshitz/Chris Manners (10-3).

PIANO @ JHU: Tamil Canadu 290 - TJ A+ 255
Jay Misuk/Aayush Rajasekaran/Ian Dewan (5-7) beat Eric Murkherjee [sic]/Will Alston/James Kuang/Fred Zhang (10-2). I'm not quite sure who "Eric Murkherjee" is, but Toronto J + Ian Dewan beat Will Alston and company only one week after they narrowly beat the competition at Delta Burke @ Purdue.

PIANO/MO: hamburger university lab school 375 - BHSU A 240
hamburger university lab school 335 - BHSU A 260
In a stunning turn of events, Ball Hard So University's varsity squad (7-3) takes two losses to the feeder high school for their rival, hamburger university (10-0). This upset, plus their loss to Figures associated with the titular polity (6-4) in the first round, kept them out of title contention for the first time in years.

ICT: Amherst 275 - Maryland A 190
ICT: Amherst 325 - Northwestern A 240
Combined these two games put Amherst (6-8) in the top playoff bracket and Northwestern in second bracket. Amusingly, Amherst had ~4 ppb less than Maryland A (8-5) across the prelims (1.66 less in that game in particular) and worse PPG but ended up with the first playoff seed because it was granted alphabetically.

ACF Nationals: Amherst A 215 - WUSTL A 210
Amherst (9-5) won a bonus protest to win by 5, pushing WUSTL (9-5) into 3rd bracket instead of being in contention for 1st.

ACF Nationals: Stanford A 325 - Columbia A 165
Speaks for itself really - tbh this should probably win. (7-9) vs (14-3).
Kevin Wang
Arcadia High School 2015
Amherst College 2019

2018 PACE NSC Champion
2019 PACE NSC Champion
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

While I appreciate the commentary and the compilations, I'm confused how some of these are upsets. Eric Mukherjee leading a team to beat a Dylan Minarik team? A really good open team at Minnesota's PIANO (with a significantly better PPG and PPB) beating another good open team?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Santa Claus wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:09 am
ACF Nationals: Amherst A 215 - WUSTL A 210
Amherst (9-5) won a bonus protest to win by 5, pushing WUSTL (9-5) into 3rd bracket instead of being in contention for 1st.
Your bonus conversion was actually higher than ours at the tournament, so I don't know if this really constitutes an upset. (It was certainly super upsetting for us, though!)
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
34 + P.J. Dozier
Wakka

Post by 34 + P.J. Dozier »

This may be just me (due to having been on the losing end of the upset), but Williams upsetting Chicago at D2 ICT was pretty wild – their lead scorer Jonathan Williams got about a third of his powers for the entire tournament in that single game, handing us our only non-UMD loss. They went on to get 18th and we got 2nd, so that counts for something.
Wonyoung Jang
Belmont '18 // UChicago '22
ACF; NAQT; PACE
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Santa Claus wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:09 am I'd like to present the following games as potential candidates for upset of the year:
Thank you, Kevin, your post is fantastic.
Santa Claus wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:09 am ACF Nationals: Stanford A 325 - Columbia A 165
This is almost certainly It, but one more weird ACF Nationals game I want to point out:

ACF Nationals: UCLA 220 - Yale 200
Each team negged twice, but Yale's bonus conversion was perfectly consistent with how they performed all Saturday. UCLA just straight-up got more tossups (10, to Yale's 8). Respective final placements were T-32 for UCLA and T-7 for Yale.
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
Santa Claus
Rikku

Post by Santa Claus »

Cheynem wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:49 am While I appreciate the commentary and the compilations, I'm confused how some of these are upsets. Eric Mukherjee leading a team to beat a Dylan Minarik team? A really good open team at Minnesota's PIANO (with a significantly better PPG and PPB) beating another good open team?
i sure was upset
Kevin Wang
Arcadia High School 2015
Amherst College 2019

2018 PACE NSC Champion
2019 PACE NSC Champion
Votre Kickstarter Est Nul
Rikku

Post by Votre Kickstarter Est Nul »

ACF Nationals: NYU 160 - Stanford 145

NYU (finished t-38) going 10/0 with a 6 PPB (!!) to defeat Stanford (finished 12) is a pretty big one, though the weird circle of OSU, UVA, and Stanford all losing in semi-unpredictable ways still allowed Stanford to make top bracket so this didn't end up that important.
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
John Ketzkorn
Wakka

Post by John Ketzkorn »

Aaron's Rod wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:16 pm
Santa Claus wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:09 am I'd like to present the following games as potential candidates for upset of the year:
Santa Claus wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:09 am ACF Nationals: Stanford A 325 - Columbia A 165
I was gonna bring up Illinois beating Minnesota at ICT, but this is the clear winner wow.
Michael Etzkorn
Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy '16
UIUC '21
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

I think Penn-Chicago at ICT is at least as impressive as Stanford-Columbia, but it's a close running between those two for best upset.

ACF Fall was the best college tournament this year, and I'll nominate it.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
John Ketzkorn
Wakka

Post by John Ketzkorn »

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:09 pm I think Penn-Chicago at ICT is at least as impressive as Stanford-Columbia, but it's a close running between those two for best upset.
While it is actually closer now that you bring that up, worth reflecting that ICT's format has inherently more variance than ACF Nationals.
Michael Etzkorn
UIUC '21
Victor Prieto
Auron

Post by Victor Prieto »

I neglected to post a reminder that nominations were closing yesterday, so I'll extend the nominations period to end tomorrow evening. Polls will be up Tuesday morning.

Awards with very low number of nominations that would be nice to see a couple more: Question of the Year, Newcomer of the Year, 4th Scorer of the Year.
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE
nycaqb1999
Lulu

Post by nycaqb1999 »

Are the nominations ready, or are you holding for more submissions in categories you mentioned?
Maximilian Shatan
Founder and Captain,
Bard High School Early College Manhattan '18
Captain,
Wesleyan University '22

"beep...beep...beep" - Sputnik I
Victor Prieto
Auron

Post by Victor Prieto »

Voting is now open. The form will close on Wednesday, July 10th.
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE
John Ketzkorn
Wakka

Post by John Ketzkorn »

To addendum the nomination blurb for Rookie of the Year and pitch my teammate Mitch McCullar: It's worth mentioning that I still studied literature in college for two years (putting up 7 powers next to Jordan Brownstein at It's Lit and winning online MASSOLIT). Around 30-50% of my buzzes are still in literature, while Mitch floats somewhere around 90%. He managed to put up 10 powers (the most of all Illinois players) at ICT. Even with a shadow, he stepped up big time, and we appreciated having such a strong Freshman foregoing his D2 eligibility to help out the A-team.
Michael Etzkorn
UIUC '21
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Thank you to whoever wrote me such a kind citation! (Would love to know who you are, if you want to drop me a line?)

However, I was not an active collegiate player in 2018-2019. I guess you can vote for questions from open sets, but in the spirit of the awards, people should vote for someone who was affiliated with a school this year. (And don't you dare take this as an instance of being nice. 😠)
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
Victor Prieto
Auron

Post by Victor Prieto »

Voting closes tomorrow evening. We have 59 responses, would love to see some more!
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE
Victor Prieto
Auron

Post by Victor Prieto »

Congratulations to the winners of this year's Players Choice Awards!

4th Scorer of the Year: Matthew Lehmann - Chicago
Awarded to the best player who scored the lowest number of points on any team that competed at ICT or ACF Nationals. "Best" is defined as most valuable at securing wins for their team compared to the other players on the ballot.

Newcomer of the Year: James Hadley - Rutgers
Awarded to the best collegiate player who had not participated in any pyramidal quizbowl tournament prior to this year.

Set of the Year: 2019 ACF Regionals
Awarded to the best tournament of the year announced at a difficulty level below Nationals.

Wrong Answer of the Year: Harry Bellafonte: "Lil Wayne"
Awarded to the funniest wrong answer from this year, whether it was a tossup or a bonus.

Most Improved Player of the Year: Tim Morrison - Chicago
Awarded to the player who has improved the most since the previous year.

Nicest Person of the Year: Marianna Zhang - Stanford
Awarded to the kindest person who brightens people's day at tournaments that we should all try to emulate.

Question of the Year: 2019 ACF Nationals - Kuwaiti oil fires
Awarded to the tossup or bonus that was most entertaining to players hearing the question. Do NOT submit questions from sets that have not yet been cleared.

Rookie of the Year: Vishwa Shanmugam - Maryland
Awarded to the best collegiate player who had not competed in any collegiate tournament prior to September 2017 (collegiate or open tournaments played as a high school or dual-enrolled student are excluded from this definition).

Upset of the Year: Stanford 325, Columbia 165 at ACF Nationals
Awarded to the team that pulled off the most notable single game upset of the year.

Full vote totals can be viewed here.

Voting totals by institution (note that alumni were permitted to either self-identify as alumni or their former institution):

1 vote: Berkeley, Bowdoin, Colorado, Cornell, Florida State, Georgia, Iowa, Kenyon, Michigan State, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, Penn, RIT, Rutgers, Toronto, UCF, VCU, Wesleyan, Yale

2 votes: Carnegie Mellon, Michigan, Penn State, Texas

3 votes: "Alumni," Columbia, Illinois, NYU

4 votes: Harvard, Minnesota

5 votes: Maryland

6 votes: Chicago, Florida

Total number of voters: 65
Last edited by Victor Prieto on Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

The vote totals link appears to be broken.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Victor Prieto
Auron

Post by Victor Prieto »

Fixed!
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE
LeoLaw
Lulu

Post by LeoLaw »

What were the details behind the "Lil Wayne" wrong answer?
Leo
New College of Florida '19
University of Florida ‘25
Tejas
Rikku

Post by Tejas »

LeoLaw wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:30 pm What were the details behind the "Lil Wayne" wrong answer?
ACF Regionals wrote: 11. This artist recorded the first LP to sell one million copies; that album by this man features seven songs written at least in part by Lord Burgess and concludes with a song that asserts “ever since the world began / woman was always teaching man.” This singer of “Man Smart (Woman Smarter)” appeared on an episode of The Muppet Show in which he sang the title spiritual of his album Turn the World Around. The Wendell Pierce-portrayed Hosea Williams leads a chorus of one of this man’s songs after it is announced that this man will be joining a march in the film Selma. That song by this man warns of “the deadly black tarantula” and mentions lifting “six foot, seven foot, eight foot bunch.” For 10 points, name this calypso singer who declared “Daylight come and me wan’ go home” in a folk song known alternately as “Day-O” and “The Banana Boat Song.”
ANSWER: Harry Belafonte [or Harold George Bellanfanti Jr.]
<Trash>
Many people buzzed on six foot, seven foot since it's a Lil Wayne song that samples Harry Belafonte. It's particularly funny since the previous sentence basically tells you he's a civil rights activist from the 60s.
Tejas Raje
Cornell '14
LeoLaw
Lulu

Post by LeoLaw »

Nice hockey Cote d'Azur wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:57 pm
LeoLaw wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:30 pm What were the details behind the "Lil Wayne" wrong answer?
ACF Regionals wrote: 11. This artist recorded the first LP to sell one million copies; that album by this man features seven songs written at least in part by Lord Burgess and concludes with a song that asserts “ever since the world began / woman was always teaching man.” This singer of “Man Smart (Woman Smarter)” appeared on an episode of The Muppet Show in which he sang the title spiritual of his album Turn the World Around. The Wendell Pierce-portrayed Hosea Williams leads a chorus of one of this man’s songs after it is announced that this man will be joining a march in the film Selma. That song by this man warns of “the deadly black tarantula” and mentions lifting “six foot, seven foot, eight foot bunch.” For 10 points, name this calypso singer who declared “Daylight come and me wan’ go home” in a folk song known alternately as “Day-O” and “The Banana Boat Song.”
<Trash>
Many people buzzed on six foot, seven foot since it's a Lil Wayne song that samples Harry Belafonte. It's particularly funny since the previous sentence basically tells you he's a civil rights activist from the 60s.
That make sense, thx.
Leo
New College of Florida '19
University of Florida ‘25
Monstruos de Bolsillo
Wakka

Post by Monstruos de Bolsillo »

Nice hockey Cote d'Azur wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:57 pm
<Trash>
Ha, that happened at the Swarthmore site in my room when I was reading.
Alex Sankaran
West Chester '17-'21
Henderson (PA) '12-'16