The Experiment II at VCU - Sunday, March 22, 2009

Old college threads.
Matt Weiner
Sin

The Experiment II at VCU - Sunday, March 22, 2009

Post by Matt Weiner »

This is the formal announcement for the Mid-Atlantic mirror of The Experiment II, to be held at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond on Sunday, March 22 after FICHTE 2, also occurring at VCU on Sunday, March 22.

I expect to be playing in this tournament, but I will serve as TD for the moment. I will name some member of the VCU team to handle the actual distribution of the packets once the tournament date approaches.

The tournament is currently being written by Ryan Westbrook; the main thread is at viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7093&start=0. Ryan describes this tournament as "ungodly hard and full of canon-busting flavor," please see the questions from the original Experiment at http://collegiate.quizbowlpackets.com/a ... xperiment/ to get an idea of what to expect difficulty-wise; however, note in the link to this year's announcement that the question style and packet format has changed.

FEES:
Each player will pay $15 to participate. No discounts or penalties are possible.

ELIGIBILITY: This is an entirely open tournament.

REGISTRATION: To register, post in this thread or mail me at [email protected] with the names of the people you are registering. Due to the nature of this tournament, it is also entirely possible to play on a walk-up basis, so you can also just show up at the time and place below with $15 and you will certainly be allowed to play.

LOCATION/DIRECTIONS: The entire tournament will take place in the Hibbs Building on our Monroe Park campus (aka "Academic Campus"). The nominal address of the building is "900 Park Ave, Richmond VA" if you need to put something into your map software of choice, but be aware that Hibbs does not actually face the street, so you will have to park and then walk to the area where the building is in order to find it. I suggest printing out the appropriate campus maps and bringing them along--note that Hibbs is directly across from the Cabell Library, which will probably be easier for you to find if you have not been to the VCU campus before.

PARKING: On Saturdays, parking on the street is free and available in most places around the campus; the best place to park for access to Hibbs is on one of the residential streets such as Park Avenue, Floyd Avenue, or West Avenue that branch off Harrison Street to the west near the Hibbs/library area. If you cannot find a space in that area, then you should use the parking deck at Harrison and Broad, which is about three blocks north of the tournament building and will charge you somewhere between $0 and $5 to park all day on a Saturday.

FORMAT: Most likely, we will emulate the format of the main Experiment site; players will be divided into six teams, with the top six players present (I will probably ask Ryan to determine their identities remotely) drafting their teammates. I consider it highly unlikely that there will be fewer than 6 or more than 24 people interested in this tournament, but if that does end up being the case, an alternate format will be developed. The six teams will then play a double RR, with the winner determined by record, and then either playoff or PPG depending on how many packets end up being written.

PAYMENT: Financial arrangements will be handled by Quizbowl at VCU president Andrew Alexander. All players must pay on Saturday evening, in one of two forms: cash, or a personal or institutional check made out to Andrew Alexander. Do not bring checks made out to Matt Weiner, to VCU, to "quizbowl," or so forth. We can't do anything with them. Unless you have made a specific arrangement with me or Andrew, you must pay your full registration fee at or before the tournament. If you need an invoice ahead of time so that your sponsor can cut a check, let me know. Otherwise, all players will receive invoices at the tournament.

--Matt Weiner, interim tournament director, The Experiment II Mid-Atlantic Mirror
[email protected]
Matt Weiner
Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Matt Weiner
Sin

Re: The Experiment II at VCU - Sunday, March 22, 2009

Post by Matt Weiner »

This happened and was enjoyed by all. Results:

"Team D" 9-0
Matt 4/19/62
Tommy 1/6/4
Brennan 0/1/0