2021 ACF Fall at Case Western Reserve (10/16/2021)

Old college threads.
HenryGreentree
Kimahri

2021 ACF Fall at Case Western Reserve (10/16/2021)

Post by HenryGreentree »

I am pleased to announce that the Great Lakes site of 2021 ACF Fall will be held at Case Western Reserve University on Saturday, October 16, 2021.

The tournament will take place at Clark Hall (NOT CLARKE TOWER) (11130 Bellflower Rd, Cleveland, OH 44106) The opening meeting will begin at 8:45 and gameplay will begin at 9:00. Henry Blyth will be the tournament director. Please direct any questions about this site to Henry Blyth at [email protected].

Eligibility
To make this tournament more accessible to new teams and players, ACF is enforcing eligibility guidelines for ACF Fall. Players are not eligible to compete at 2021 ACF Fall if, at any point, they:
  • Scored more than 50 PPG in the prelims of a college mirror of ACF Fall, OR
  • Were the top scorer (highest overall PPG) on a team that finished in the top 15% of the field, rounded up, at ACF Fall, OR
  • Scored more than 40 PP20TUH in the prelims of HSNCT or 60 PPG in the prelims of PACE NSC, OR
  • Were the top scorer (highest overall PPG) on a team that finished in the top 30 at HSNCT or top 10 at PACE NSC, OR
  • Finished in the top 12 in IPNCT
Players are responsible for determining their own eligibility; if you have questions, please don’t hesitate to email [email protected]. Failure to abide by these eligibility guidelines may result in disqualification from ACF Fall and/or future ACF tournaments.

Rules
This tournament will follow ACF’s official gameplay rules. Rules specifically pertaining to online tournaments have been rendered in blue.

Registration
Fill out the central 2021 ACF Fall registration form with all relevant information. The form is here. The field for each site can be found here.

If possible, teams should register for the site that is geographically closest to them and/or is in the region they would normally attend. The field cap is 24 after which teams will be placed on a waitlist or potentially assigned to another site. Please register by October 11, 2021.

Fees
  • Base fee: $120
  • New to quizbowl discount: −$80
  • Shorthanded discount (1–2 players): −$60
  • Travel discount: −$10 per 200 miles traveled one-way {in-person only}
  • Buzzers: −$10 per functional buzzer system {in-person only}
  • Staffers: −$15 {in-person} or −$25 {online} per staffer with a functional laptop. Staffers must register with ACF in advance by filling out this form.

The new to quizbowl discount is intended for schools that did not send a team to any regular collegiate academic tournament (exclusively Novice tournaments do not count) since September 2020, and have no one on the team(s) claiming this discount who played those tournaments for another school.

Packet Submission
Unlike past iterations of the set, no teams are required to submit questions in order to play the tournament. However, ACF still needs high-quality, half-packet submissions from teams to complete the set.

Below is the submission schedule for ACF Fall. All deadlines are at 11:59 p.m. PDT. The maximum packet discounts have increased since last year; furthermore, all submitting teams are eligible for an additional −$20 quality discount if their questions are particularly polished and usable, up to a maximum discount of −$60. Teams may submit a maximum of one half-packet.
  • August 21: −$50
  • August 28: −$40
  • September 4: −$30
  • September 11: −$20
  • September 18: −$10
If you would like to submit a half-packet, fill out this form. ACF will respond with a half-packet template specifying which categories you are assigned to write.

Each submission consists of 12 tossups and 12 bonuses. Before writing, please review ACF's packet submission guidelines and stick to the format provided. Answers should generally emphasize playability over creativity – aim for creative and interesting clues with straightforward answerlines. These [url=https://docs.google.com/document/d/17VL ... Jnry6LKbAF
Henry Greentree
Case Western
Tenskwatawa
Kimahri

Re: 2021 ACF Fall at Case Western Reserve (10/16/2021)

Post by Tenskwatawa »

In addition, please note the following guidelines from Case Western Reserve University regarding vaccination requirements:

Increasing COVID-19 cases within Northeast Ohio have prompted Case Western Reserve to resume its requirement that masks be worn indoors. In addition, only those who are fully vaccinated (two weeks past their final dose) should attend any campus event. Leaders continue to monitor pandemic developments and may need to adjust health protocols further as circumstances warrant. In-person is subject to change based on COVID-19 guidelines.
Henry Blyth
CWRU Quizbowl
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Ok, so I'm admittedly more amused than anything else by this, but can someone explain to me how we still don't know who won this tournament?

I ask my team, "children, who won?"
"We don't know."
"Oh, you left early?"
"No. They don't know, either. No one knows."
"What?"
"The TD wrote in the Discord that he knew who won. But then he erased the message."

Look, I've been doing this a long time, and believe me I've TD'ed some disasters. But I just can't get my head around this. How do you not know who won? Were you there?? Were you, somehow, NOT there??? It's an ACF tournament, so there's some reasonable limitation on how you could have resolved whatever it is that seemed to have gone wrong (ie, I'm assuming it didn't come down to an all-you-can-eat sushi showdown). I just cant figure out what happened here.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
ezekiel
Lulu

Post by ezekiel »

Any word on if, or when, stats will be posted?
Gabriel C.

Duke-ish 2022-
CMU 2018-2022
MSJ/"Escobar" 2015-2018
Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!!
Rikku

Post by Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!! »

CWRU ran into some stats issues the day of the tournament. ACF and CWRU is working to upload these stats as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience!
Ganon Evans
Misconduct Representative
ACF President, PACE VP of Editing, MOQBA
Francis Howell High School 2018, University of Iowa 2021
hiraeth
Kimahri

Post by hiraeth »

Not to dogpile on here, but have CWRU/ACF at least figured out who won the tournament?
Sydney Hsin
Valley Christian HS '19
Carnegie Mellon '23+
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

ganman0305 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:44 pm CWRU ran into some stats issues the day of the tournament. ACF and CWRU is working to upload these stats as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience!
In the interest of helping people learn for the future to help prevent situations like this:

This is why I keep a notebook. In the notebook, after the prelim stats have been posted, you can make a grid and keep track of at least the top bracket that way. This is what I did for CO-I kept track of the top bracket so that I could announce any further play without having to enter the scoresheets from the last round, with my only limitation being how fast I could write and walk.

Or, if need be, use a chalkboard or a whiteboard in a room. These are things we do in our regular-season HS tournaments all the time in Missouri, and they have helped to save our bacon several times.

Hope this advice helps somebody in the future!
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!!
Rikku

hiraeth wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:39 pm Not to dogpile on here, but have CWRU/ACF at least figured out who won the tournament?
As soon as the stats are finalized, we will announce the winner. I know this seems like a hollow response, but we're working as best within people's work-week schedules to get this information out. I apologize again for the delay and can guarantee that we're fixing it as fast as possible.

Update: I plan to have these up before I go to lunch today.
Ganon Evans
Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!!
Rikku

Thank you for your patience with these results and thank you to all the teams who attend this tournament! Congratulations to Geneva A for winning this tournament. Geneva and OSU tied at 4-1 in the playoffs, and since Geneva had a higher PPG against playoff opponents, they are the champions of this event. Statistics for this tournament can be found here. Please message me or email [email protected] for corrections.

On behalf of ACF, I'd like to thoroughly apologize for the delay in getting these results out. ACF is dedicated to helping hosts with stats and other logistics during tournaments. For Winter in a few weeks and into the future, we'll better communicate with hosts about their plan for stats and support them.
Ganon Evans
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

ganman0305 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:37 pm Thank you for your patience with these results and thank you to all the teams who attend this tournament! Congratulations to Geneva A for winning this tournament. Geneva and OSU tied at 4-1 in the playoffs, and since Geneva had a higher PPG against playoff opponents, they are the champions of this event. Statistics for this tournament can be found here. Please message me or email [email protected] for corrections.

On behalf of ACF, I'd like to thoroughly apologize for the delay in getting these results out. ACF is dedicated to helping hosts with stats and other logistics during tournaments. For Winter in a few weeks and into the future, we'll better communicate with hosts about their plan for stats and support them.

I get that many things went wrong with this event, but it seems quite odd to me that no one is going to address the fact that this tournament chose not to follow the basic finals procedure required by ACF/operating as a norm for every reputable tournament ever. Indeed, it seems they chose not to even *have* a final, despite teams being tied with the same record against the same opponents. And we still don't really have any idea why, because no one from CWRU will say anything.

I'm not trying to pillory Case here - things go wrong, and clearly ACF needed to offer more support. But I also think we need to be very clear that this was not acceptable, and that teams attending this event are owed more than the several days of radio silence/glossed-over explanation of what went wrong.

I also don't understand why a winner has been declared, given that the procedure for determining one was not followed; it seems at least as proper - and perhaps more so - to award three co-titles.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Tenskwatawa
Kimahri

Post by Tenskwatawa »

Hello all,

As tournament director from CWRU I first of all want to apologize for the issues with the tournament.

When it came to the stats, we used scoresheets that came recommended to us from ACF, but ended up having numerous issues with actually getting them exported. I was in contact with those who made the scoresheets throughout the weekend and beginning of this weekend, but just could not figure out the issue, not for lack of trying.

As for there being no finals, I should have been more familiar with ACF's rules. I'm a sophomore, so the only familiarity I have with ACF is in an online format from last year. When I showed ACF the pools I created they were okayed, and none of the more experienced members of my team pointed out anything wrong with them to me when I showed them.

I just want to reiterate my apologies. I will do my best not to let this happen again in the future. Please feel free to reach out to me with any other comments or questions.
Henry Blyth
CWRU Quizbowl
tnyowheoma
Lulu

Post by tnyowheoma »

Posting on this thread to clarify a few points for teams that played here a few weeks back.

After further consideration, the ACF officers decided to declare Geneva A and OSU A the co-champions of this tournament. We reached this conclusion due to those teams having the same record at the end of playoffs, and as such, finals should have been played between those two teams decide the site champion. With that, the final breakdown of top team performances is as follows:

1st Overall: Geneva A and OSU A
2nd Overall: Miami A

1st DII: Geneva A and OSU A
2nd DII: Michigan C

1st UG: Miami A
2nd UG: Kenyon A

All the teams listed above were sent trophies at the end of October, and teams can reach out to me at [email protected] if they have questions.

This is arguably an exceptional situation, and it's part of ACF's hosting guidelines that finals are played in the event of ties at the end of regulation gameplay. That being said, communication issues were undeniably part of the problem here, and creating more accessible hosting resources for new (and old) hosts for ACF tournaments is being worked on going forward.
Theresa Nyowheoma
New York University, '21
ACF