Old college threads.
meebles127
Tidus

2021 Festivus [23 December 2021]

Post by meebles127 »

SCHEDULE
SERVER LINK

Festivus is just a few months away.

Does anyone want to run it this year? If not I'm open to doing so again, on actual Festivus.

I'm running Festivus. Please see further details below.

Last edited by meebles127 on Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:57 am, edited 4 times in total.
Em Gunter
Club President, University of Virginia
Tournament Director, 2023 Chicago Open
Assistant Tournament Director, 2022 and 2023 ACF Nationals

Author of: My Guide to High School Outreach and So You Want to Buy a Buzzer System

"That's got to be one of the most useful skills anyone has ever gotten from quizbowl." -John Lawrence
meebles127
Tidus

Re: 2021 Festivus

Post by meebles127 »

I will be running Festivus this year.

In honor of Harris Bunker, I'll be collecting donations for Be The Match, the bone marrow donor registry, to help those fighting hematological diseases find bone marrow donors.

If you are eligible to become a donor I strongly encourage you to sign-up at bethematch.org. I've been on the registry for nearly a year now, and it's very easy to sign up, it took me less than ten minutes between opening the swab kit and sealing the envelope to place it back in the mail. More details about this process can be found here.

I'll post more details in a few weeks, but I expect to do something similar to last year with a rough skeleton schedule, but less stringent than last year.
Em Gunter

Author of: My Guide to High School Outreach and So You Want to Buy a Buzzer System

"That's got to be one of the most useful skills anyone has ever gotten from quizbowl." -John Lawrence
meebles127
Tidus

Re: 2021 Festivus [23 December 2021]

Post by meebles127 »

As promised, I've included more information about Festivus in a post for y'all.

I've created a Google Form for people to express preliminary interest in writing a packet.

Part one of this form is to indicate your interest in writing a packet for Festivus, as I know that many people have asked for the ability to be able to indicate their interest.

Part two of this form will allow you to indicate your willingness to write questions to continue the spirit of Harris's "MATCH" project. There will be a separate form (later this week or sometime next week) for people to indicate that they are on the registry, which will be done on the honor system. Those who are unable to become donors can get a tossup for making a donation of $5 or more to BeTheMatch or another charity supporting research into leukemia and other blood illnesses such as The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Proof will be required for tossups written as a result of donations.

"Visual" packets such as "eyes that do not see" and audio events are banned from the main Festivus event due to the numerous issues they suffered last year. If you are interested in doing an audio or visual packet for Festivus you can run it after main events are done on Thursday, or on Friday.

EDIT: Re: visual and audio packets; these may be run, with the understanding that they will occur parallel to other events or at the end of the day.
Last edited by meebles127 on Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Em Gunter

meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

I also forgot to note that due to feedback and complaints from last year, there will be no bonuses during the main course of events
Em Gunter

meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

Here's a spreadsheet containing a list of people who have indicated an interest thus far. This is not updated live with the sheet to protect people's personal information. I'll be updating this at least a few times a week.

If you signed up to write a packet and can no longer do so, contact me in someway and I'll remove it.
Em Gunter

meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

I've updated the packet list. Expect further details about this on either Saturday or Sunday once my finals are over.
Em Gunter

meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

I've sent an email to all writers. If you didn't receive one, reach out to me.
Em Gunter

meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

Some general housekeeping things:
  • The schedule will be made by Tuesday evening at the absolute latest.
  • The server will likely be made on Monday, which will be linked in the OP.
  • A player interest survey will go out this afternoon.
  • There will be a writer's email tonight.
  • High schoolers are banned from Eric Mukherjee's visual medical packet due to the nature of its content.
As always, feel free to email me with concerns.

EDIT: Sorry all, things have gotten insane the last while. I'll get everything that's been put off done tomorrow.
Em Gunter

meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

The OP has been updated with the schedule and server link.

There will be no interest survey. Writers, you'll get an email tomorrow.
Em Gunter

meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

I have made the schedule for Festivus. It can be found in the main post and in the Discord server. I have made every effort to ensure that time slots are not too short, though some of them might be a tad bit too long. I apologize if I severely overshot on time length in any given packet.

WRITERS: Please ensure that your packet is done before the start of your event so it can be sent to other moderators of your event.

On the left side of the schedule, there is a listing of events, and on the right side, there is a moderator sign-up. Writers of their own packet get priority in which room they would like to read. If you are free during a portion of the day, please sign up to read in an additional room.

In order to enter into the room for your event please go to the #roles channel, and select the appropriate number. If you will be moderating an event, you will select the turtle emoji for that event. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES may you have the @Mod Powers role if you will not be reading during that time slot. If you are caught doing this, you will be immediately banned unless it was a technical issue or some other mistake like you left to go get lunch, for example.

Furthermore, all players are required to be in only one room throughout the entire reading of an event, i.e. once the mod has started reading an event, you can't switch to another room. (You can obviously still switch rooms between different events, though). This is to prevent players from listening to one room that goes ahead of another, then switching rooms and exploiting the information they heard. Any player who does this once will be kicked and forced to sit out the round unless it's a technical issue, and anyone who does it twice will be banned from the rest of the event unless they successfully appeal to me.

Ejection Procedures:

• Mods are allowed to kick people from rooms at any time - they should inform me if they do so and explain why they kicked a player from their room.
  • If a player is being obnoxious, suspected of cheating, etc. then any three players in a room may initiate a vote to kick them. The player will be kicked if a two-thirds majority of players, rounded down, votes to remove them; mods will not vote in these procedures. The mod should then report this to me.
Any player who is kicked twice will be banned.

Regarding cheating, I'm going to quote something that Will Alston said in April 2020:
Will Alston wrote:If you need to cheat to win an online charity packet to boost your ego, you're a fucking loser and should feel ashamed of yourself.
I will not be requiring you to use a camera; however, writers have the right to require a camera for you to play their packet, except in instances where you have prior permission. If you expect this to be an issue please reach out to me as soon as possible. If you are playing without a camera, and any allegations of cheating arise, you will be asked to turn it on. If you do not, you will be immediately ejected.

Finally, after the event, I will be soliciting donations for BeTheMatch in honor of Harris Bunker.

If there are any other questions please reach out to me.
Em Gunter

meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

Please fill this out if you're participating tomorrow so I can have a record of it.

https://forms.gle/kAFe7SPgAVuLS2Ry5
Em Gunter

meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

Festivus has started and we're running a bit behind right now. I'm sorry about this. If you follow along with the schedule, the color of the cells should change as the event progresses. I hope to be running back on time by the end of break 1 (which we will skip if need be).
Em Gunter

meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

Things are back on time and will hopefully stay on time.
Em Gunter

meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

I sent out the donation email a few minutes ago, if you wanted to receive this email and did not, please let me know, and I will forward it to you.

I'd also like to thank everyone who wrote for this, played, staffed, or otherwise supported the event. This was a great time for me, and I'm glad that so many people were able to enjoy themselves.
Em Gunter

meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

All the packets I have received have been sent toe Jeffrey Hill, if you don't see yours when the initial batch it up send it to me at vef2jj AT virginia DOT edu and I'll get it up in the second batch.

Sorry for the extreme delay, I've had a lot of personal issues going on.

Regarding donations, over $3,000 was sent to BeTheMatch between money sent to me I sent to the organization and money others donated privately. I'll try to audit an exact dollar figure at some point.
Em Gunter