HSNCT Open Mirror @ "Toronto" (July 10-11, 2021)

Old college threads.
Calculus?
Wakka

HSNCT Open Mirror @ "Toronto" (July 10-11, 2021)

Post by Calculus? »

Hello!

I am pleased to announce that for the seventh (!) year in a row, the University of Toronto Academic Trivia Club will be hosting its annual two-day mirror of HSNCT. This mirror will take place online over Discord and, keeping with tradition, will take place over two separate days (one for each half of the set) with teams being given the option to play one day at full price, or both days at a discount.

Logistics

Both days of this tournament will begin at 10:00 AM in a Discord server to which teams will receive the link by email. Players and staff should be online and in the server by 9:45 AM for opening announcements and in case any troubleshooting is required. You will be required to change your server nickname to your real name as well as "react" to the honour pledge in the appropriate channel before I grant you access to game rooms (this applies to everyone, including staff and spectators).

Fees and Payment

Since this event is online, the fees will be a bit lower than our normal in-person event.

Base price: $100 ($80 if all of the players on the team were in high school during the 2020-2021 school year)
Second-day price: $50 for a team to play the Sunday tournament if the same team* also played on Saturday. This cannot be combined with any other discounts for Sunday. ($40 if all of the players on the team are still in high school as of 2020-2021.)
Staffing discount: $10 for each player on your team who staffs the other day of the tournament.

*Your team counts as the same team if at least 3/4 players are the same between both days. Your team name must stay the same between both days. If there is any confusion about this, please contact me.

If you're in Canada, you can pay through etransfer (to the CLUB, not to me personally). If you're not in Canada, you can pay through PayPal, or if that's an issue just contact me and we can work something out.

Registration

This tournament is completely open, meaning that anyone can play with anyone else on any team (although the high school discount does depend on team composition). To register, send me an email at meghan [D O T] torchia [A T] gmail [D O T] com. Include your team roster (this can be changed after your initial registration, I just want at least one name to start) and any discounts you might qualify for. Also let me know which day(s) your team will be playing. The registration deadline is 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, July 7th, 2021. Teams can still sign up after this time, but they would need my permission to do so: I will accept all registrations before this time but reserve the right to decline ones sent after it. Also, due to a limited number of paсks, I reserve the right to decline or place on hold any registrations that would bring us to an unfeasible number of teams (most likely that will be the number 11, the most cursed number).

If you like, you can also register with me as a free agent and I will post your name here.

Cheating

The policy on cheating for this event will be no different than any other online tournament -- cheating is absolutely prohibited, webcams are required, and any cheating or attempts at cheating will be met with appropriate consequences.

We are aware that some rounds of HSNCT were streamed online, this has happened in the past and we haven't experienced any issues because of it. We ask that teams please abide by the honour system and disclose if any of their players watched any of the streamed rounds -- this will assist us in determining if and how to use those particular paсks. Lying or failing to disclose that you've seen any of these rounds when asked will be considered cheating and will be met with the same consequences as cheating.

Field

Day 1
ADR's Team
Max’s Team
www.harukimurakami.com (Colin & Gareth)
Milan's Team
Cormac's Team
Parth’s Team
Acton-Boxborough
Ed Lorenz is the real attractor
Free agent team

Day 2
ADR's Team
Max’s Team
Raymond’s Team
Milan's Team
Cormac's Team
Parth’s Team
Ryan’s team
Ed Lorenz is the real attractor

Free Agents

If you have any other questions or concerns feel free to post them here or reach out to me personally. Hope to see you all in July!
Meghan Torchia
President, University of Toronto Academic Trivia Club (2015-2018)
"Garlic 2: Around the World" LearnedLeague 1-Day 49th/1150 (96th %ile), February 9th, 2022
University of Toronto, 2018, 2023
Calculus?
Wakka

Re: HSNCT Open Mirror @ "Toronto" (July 10-11, 2021)

Post by Calculus? »

Hello, everyone!

Thank you for signing up to play and/or staff the Toronto mirror of HSNCT this weekend. This is your logistics email. Please read it carefully and reach out to me as soon as possible if you have questions, if I missed something, or if anything about your registration has changed.

This email applies to the entire tournament, however please be aware that I am only the TD for the Saturday. Colin Veevers will be your TD for Sunday. If you have any questions or issues pertaining specifically to the Sunday, please contact Colin. He will also be at the tournament on Saturday if you need to talk to him.

Schedule

We have 9 teams registered for Saturday, and 8 teams registered for Sunday. We will be playing a 9-game round robin on Saturday, and a 7-game round robin on Sunday. I have 19 packets, not including the streamed rounds, so in the event both days require an advantaged final, the Sunday will likely end up having a one-game final regardless. I am attaching the Saturday schedule here. There is a QR code blocking the last column but it should say “bye”. Colin will provide you with the Sunday schedule.

The tournament will begin at 10:00 AM EDT (Toronto time) on both Saturday and Sunday. Please be online in both the Discord and Zoom meeting at 9:50 for opening announcements and to sort out any potential technical problems. Lunch will likely be after round 4 or 5, but we’ll see how things go.

If you haven’t given me a team name, you can still give me one, it won’t appear on the schedule but it will be recorded in the stats.

Technology (beep boop)

This tournament will, by popular demand, use Zoom + buzzin.live for game rooms, and we will, as usual, be using TJ Sheets for scorekeeping. There will still be a Discord server, but it will be used only for announcements, protests, and staff discussion. Please join it here: [REDACTED]

In the server I will send a link to the tournament’s Zoom meeting and you can join from there.

When you join, you will be required to change your server nickname to your real name and “react” to the honour pledge in the #honor-pledge channel. Everyone must do this, including staff and spectators. When that’s done, I will give you a role and allow you into the Zoom meeting. Also make sure to change your Zoom name to your real name.

For Zoom stuff: UPDATE YOUR ZOOM. You need to have your Zoom updated in order to be able to join your own breakout rooms. Update it now, and then come back and read the rest of this. I’ll wait. Don’t hold up the tournament by having to update your Zoom at 9:59 AM. Moderators, you don’t need to worry about having premium Zoom accounts as I will be hosting the meeting from mine, and the game rooms will all be breakout rooms. It’s probably a good idea to test your camera and microphone beforehand as well.

Payment

As a reminder, your team fee is $100 for the first day you play, and $50 for the second day you play. If you are receiving any discounts, I should already have discussed those with you. If you are not sure what you owe, please reach out to me. All fees are in Canadian dollars.

Canadians: Please pay me via Interac etransfer to [REDACTED]. The etransfer should autodeposit. Please put in the notes which team you are paying for/for which day(s). Note that if you already have my personal email address saved as an etransfer contact, do NOT send the money there, that’s a different bank account.

Non-Canadians: If you are unable to pay me from a Canadian bank account, please send the money via PayPal to [REDACTED], and I will send it to the Toronto club account from there. When you’re sending the money, make sure you have Canadian dollars selected as the currency I will receive, and choose FRIENDS & FAMILY (might appear as “sending money to a friend”) which will require you to pay a small fee. If you choose Goods & Services, PayPal will take the fee out of the money I receive, and I’ll need you to send me a second transfer to make up for it. Once again, please put in the notes of the transfer which team/days you are paying for. Services like Venmo, Cashapp, etc. are not available in Canada and I cannot use them to receive payment. If using PayPal is for some reason an issue for you, please reach out to me as soon as possible.

I strongly prefer to receive a team’s entire fee in one transfer, but if you’re paying individually or only for part of your team (I realize in some cases this will be necessary) please just put that in the notes of the transaction.

You can split payment by day if you like, but I expect payment for your team by the start of Round 1 of each respective day. Again, issues: reach out.

Cheating and Stuff

Cheating is banned at this tournament, you already know that, and you will agree to not cheat when you sign the honour pledge. Cameras are mandatory, as is letting me know if you’ve seen any of the HSNCT rounds (if you haven’t told me already). We likely won’t end up using the finals (rounds 20 and 21) but it’s very important to let me know if you’ve seen any others. Please be nice to each other. Rude or unsportsmanlike behaviour will not be tolerated, and neither will racism, sexism, homophobia, or any other kind of bigotry.

I think I’ve covered everything you need to know. Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have, and I will of course be available all day on Saturday. Looking forward to seeing everyone this weekend!

Meghan Torchia
Attachments
Schedule for HSNCT Toronto Saturday.pdf
(118.84 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
Meghan Torchia
President, University of Toronto Academic Trivia Club (2015-2018)
"Garlic 2: Around the World" LearnedLeague 1-Day 49th/1150 (96th %ile), February 9th, 2022
University of Toronto, 2018, 2023