ARCADIA: Announcement

Old college threads.
Inscrutable Fox
Lulu

ARCADIA: Announcement

Post by Inscrutable Fox »

I am pleased to announce ARCADIA (A Regs-minus Carolina and Duke Invitational of Academia), a collegiate set for late fall/winter 2021 written by current members and alumni of the Duke and UNC-Chapel Hill Quiz Bowl teams. We would like for tournaments to be held in person, circumstances permitting.

We are aiming for 2.5 dots on Ophir’s difficulty scale, comparable to last year’s IKEA. We have begun work on the set, and around 10% of it is already written.

We plan to have a total of 14 packets of 20/20, plus tiebreakers. Tossups will be capped at 7 lines pre-powermarking, and bonuses will be capped at 8 lines.

Our distribution is as follows:

4/4 Literature (with slightly more long fiction and slightly less drama in comparison to 1/1 for each)
  • 1/1 American
  • 1/1 European
  • 1/1 British
  • 1/1 World/Other
4/4 History
  • 1/1 American
  • 1/1 European
  • 1/1 World
  • 1/1 Ancient/Other
4/4 Science
  • 1/1 Biology
  • 1/1 Chemistry
  • 1/1 Physics
  • 1/1 Other
3/3 Arts
  • 1/1 Visual
  • 1/1 Auditory
  • 1/1 Other (Audiovisual/Applied)
1.5/1.5 Belief
1.5/1.5 Social Science
1/1 Philosophy
1/1 Other Academic / Geography / Current Events (roughly evenly split)

Our editing team is as follows:

Head - Ryan Rosenberg
Literature - Henry Goff (British and World/Other) and Payton Schubel (American and European)
History - Grant Peet (European, World, and Non-Ancient Other), Kevin Thomas (Ancient), and Ryan Rosenberg (American)
Science - Hasna Karim (Biology), Vincent Du (Chemistry, Physics, and Other), and Ryan Rosenberg (Other)
Fine Arts - Annabelle Yang (Visual and Other) and Jacob Egol (Auditory and Other)
Beliefs - Annabelle Yang (Non-Abrahamic Religion and Mythology), Hasna Karim (Islam and Subcontinent), and Kevin Thomas (Abrahamic Religion excepting Islam)
Philosophy/Social Science - Ryan Rosenberg (Social Science) and Vincent Du (Philosophy)
Geography/Current Events - Grant Peet
Logistics - Jacob Egol
Last edited by Inscrutable Fox on Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Annabelle Yang
Southside '17
Duke '21
WUSTL '25
Inscrutable Fox
Lulu

Re: ARCADIA: Announcement

Post by Inscrutable Fox »

Update:

We're excited that Caroline Mao and Raymond Wang will also be writing for this set.
Last edited by Inscrutable Fox on Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annabelle Yang
Southside '17
Duke '21
WUSTL '25
Heiliger Dankgesang
Wakka

Post by Heiliger Dankgesang »

An update on our progress:

The set is 85% written (as of 9/19/21) and editing is underway. We expect our pace of writing and editing to pick up fairly soon as we approach September/October.

At this time, we are happy to start taking requests to host mirrors. We are planning to allow mirrors between on the weekend of October 30 and ACF Regionals (and possibly a little later than that if necessary). Our mirror fee will be $45 per team.

If you would like to host a mirror of ARCADIA, please fill out this Google Form. We prefer that all mirrors are hosted in-person, and we expect all players to be fully vaccinated and adhere to the CDC's latest masking guidelines. However, if the circumstances surrounding COVID-19 change, we may require that mirrors be hosted online.

Closed high school teams may play collegiate mirrors of ARCADIA at the discretion of the mirrors' hosts. All closed high school teams must have an adult chaperone.

We hope to have at least one host per geographical region according to ACF's regional groupings. A running list of mirrors by region will be kept here:

Open playtest mirror: Online; October 9, 2021
Northeast / New England: Harvard; November 13, 2021
Upper Mid-Atlantic: Columbia; January 22, 2022 (online)
Lower Mid-Atlantic: UNC; November 13, 2021
Southeast: UGA; November 20, 2021
Great Lakes: Ohio State; January 15, 2022 (online)
Midwest: Northwestern; November 20, 2021
North:
South-Central:
Rockies:
California: Berkeley; December 4, 2021
Northwest:
Eastern Canada: McMaster; November 20, 2021 (online)
United Kingdom: Imperial; December 11, 2021 (online)
High School Closed: Reinstein Varsity Tournament (Barrington HS, IL); December 18, 2021
High School Open: Online; January 8, 2022
Final Open Mirror: Online; Date TBD
Last edited by Heiliger Dankgesang on Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:28 pm, edited 55 times in total.
Jacob Egol
Duke '23
Ranney '19
ACF
Heiliger Dankgesang
Wakka

The above post has been updated to reflect the date for our online playtest mirror (a formal announcement is forthcoming), as well as that the start of our window for mirrors has moved up from November 13 to October 30.
Jacob Egol
Duke '23
Ranney '19
ACF
Heiliger Dankgesang
Wakka

An update: we are now over 85% written and editing is well underway and on track to be done by the first weekend of October, and we will be hosting a playtest mirror of the set on October 9.

We are still looking for hosts for mirrors around the country and abroad— if you are interested in hosting a mirror of ARCADIA, we invite you to please fill out this Google Form (also linked upthread).
Jacob Egol
Duke '23
Ranney '19
ACF
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

We have some slight changes to editing assignments to announce: Jacob Egol will now be editing Auditory Arts, Annabelle Yang and Jacob will be co-editing Other Fine Arts, and Vincent Du and I will be collaborating on Other Science.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Tejas
Rikku

Post by Tejas »

Having played the playtesting mirror, I would highly recommend this set, it’s one of the better regular difficulty sets I’ve seen in a while.
Tejas Raje
Cornell '14
aseem.keyal
Wakka

Post by aseem.keyal »

Megachile dupla wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:23 am Having played the playtesting mirror, I would highly recommend this set, it’s one of the better regular difficulty sets I’ve seen in a while.
Co-sign. In the categories I pay attention to (visual fine arts, science, etc.), the questions balanced both novelty and accessibility in a way that made them very fun to play.
Aseem Keyal
Berkeley '18
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

In case that hack aseem's praise wasn't helpful to the readers at home, this set's science is so good that often >1 time a round I'd think to myself "that's a great idea" or even say it out loud (delaying the tournament I assume)! I only speak ill of questions so this is literally an unaccomplished feat! (unless you think my taste/opinions are wrong but feel free to be wrong xoxo)
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Heiliger Dankgesang
Wakka

As the first collegiate mirrors of ARCADIA are approaching, we are still looking for host schools in the Upper Mid-Atlantic, on the West Coast, in the UK, and in the South-Central and North regions. Please submit the Google Form linked upthread if you're interested in hosting!
Jacob Egol
Duke '23
Ranney '19
ACF
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

All ARCADIA mirrors have been finished and the set is now clear for discussion. I'll be uploading final packets tonight.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF