Purdue Housewrite (Medium Difficulty) [Gauging Interest]

Old college threads.
maharhar17
Lulu

Purdue Housewrite (Medium Difficulty) [Gauging Interest]

Post by maharhar17 »

Would there interest and room for a medium difficulty tournament in fall 2021 or spring 2022? The set would mostly be written by current and former members of the Purdue quiz bowl team. It would likely be around the difficulty of SMH or LIT, but we would be open to changing that to accommodate what would be best.

My main concerns are if there are already enough tournaments of that difficulty planned for next season (or just enough tournaments planned in general). The only planned sets around this difficulty that I know of is HARI and ACF winter.
Lalit Maharjan
Lawrence North High School '17
Purdue University '21

"You're winner!"
Zealots of Stockholm
Tidus

Re: Purdue Housewrite (Medium Difficulty) [Gauging Interest]

Post by Zealots of Stockholm »

Hi Lalit, the (still unnamed) medium difficulty set planned for Spring 2022 I posted a call for writers for (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24878)* is moving full steam ahead. I am of the (obviously biased) opinion that the spring is rather full with ACF regs, SCT, HARI, the set I'm organizing, WORKSHOP (assuming it happens again... but it seems this is the plan?), and the 3 dot tournament Rahul announced, whose name I'm forgetting right now. That's 6 sets at either 2 or 3 dots, in addition to the two nationals, and there's often a difficult spring open set as well.

I'm not as informed about what's happening in the fall, though since you posted this, a 2.5 dot difficulty set from Duke/UNC has been announced for the fall. Perhaps we (the general "we") as a community should have some discussion in the scheduling part of the forum to get a better sense of what the calendar looks like for the upcoming season in general.

*: I realize there is no "official" announcement for this set yet, but we have a writing + editing team of about 30 and are moving along in set production. I'll try to have an announcement up in the next 2-3 weeks.
Chandler West
Staff, Emory
Vanderbilt University '22
Auburn University '20
Good Hope High School (Cullman, AL) '16
Full Member, ACF; Member, PACE
Writer/editor, ACF, PACE, IQBT
maharhar17
Lulu

Re: Purdue Housewrite (Medium Difficulty) [Gauging Interest]

Post by maharhar17 »

Thanks for the response. It does sound like spring 2022 is full already with 2/3 dot tournaments, so at the very least, we probably want to avoid that. If there's nothing else planned for fall 2021, then the Duke set + ACF Winter + Purdue Housewrite might work. I don't know of any 1 dot tournaments planned for next school year other than ACF Fall and maybe spring novice if it happens again, so we could maybe use another novice set.
Lalit Maharjan
Lawrence North High School '17
Purdue University '21

"You're winner!"