Spring Novice at Toronto (March 27th, 2021)

Old college threads.
Acetylcolin
Lulu

Spring Novice at Toronto (March 27th, 2021)

Post by Acetylcolin »

I am pleased to announce that the Eastern Canada site of the collegiate Spring Novice tournament will be co-hosted by the University of Toronto on March 27, 2021. This tournament will be hosted on Discord, with an opening meeting at 9:45 AM and gameplay beginning at 10:00 AM. This tournament is open to schools from Canada.

Registration
Please e-mail at [email protected] to register; the last day to register is March 23rd. Please list the number of teams you are bringing, the approximate rosters, and the number and names of the staffers your school will be sending.

Fees and Discounts

All fees are listed in CAD.
$100 per team
-$35 for teams new to quizbowl (defined as having not played a tournament in the 2018-19 or 2019-20 seasons)
-$15 per experienced staffer

Payment
E-transfer by the day of the tournament is preferred. If you cannot use e-transfer, please contact me so we can work something else out.

Eligibility
This tournament is intended for players with no or very little quizbowl experience. Players with extensive quizbowl experience are encouraged to help staff. You are not eligible for this tournament if you meet any of the following criteria:
You have ever scored more than 25 points per game at a university quizbowl tournament (excluding novice tournaments).
You have ever scored more than 50 points per game at a university novice quizbowl tournament, or a high school tournament on IS or a more difficult set.
You have made the playoffs at HSNCT or top 32 at NSC.
You have played ICT (DI or DII) or ACF Nationals.
If you meet one or more of these criteria but believe you still fit the intended audience of this tournament, please email me to request an eligibility exemption.

Any questions about the tournament can be directed to me at [email protected].
Colin Veevers

Lisgar '18
Toronto '22
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Re: Spring Novice at Toronto (March 27th, 2021)

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Thanks for playing and staffing yesterday! Players and staff are encouraged to join the Spring Novice discussion forum (it can be found under the Usergroups tab on your user control panel).
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

ryanrosenberg wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:51 pm Thanks for playing and staffing yesterday! Players and staff are encouraged to join the Spring Novice discussion forum (it can be found under the Usergroups tab on your user control panel).
Actually we didn't finish playing the tournament yet. It was 7pm when we got to the end of round 8 and since it was an advantaged final between two Toronto teams, we're planning to do it at one of our practices this week.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

adosreme wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:12 pm
ryanrosenberg wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:51 pm Thanks for playing and staffing yesterday! Players and staff are encouraged to join the Spring Novice discussion forum (it can be found under the Usergroups tab on your user control panel).
Actually we didn't finish playing the tournament yet. It was 7pm when we got to the end of round 8 and since it was an advantaged final between two Toronto teams, we're planning to do it at one of our practices this week.
Aha, that makes sense! I'll hold off on approving requests from Torontonians until then.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Acetylcolin
Lulu

Post by Acetylcolin »

Congratulations to Toronto C for defeating Toronto A 405-200 in the first game of a (delayed) advantaged final. Thanks to all the staffers who allowed the tournament to proceed smoothly and quickly, and my apologies for a scoresheet snafu that led to a half-hour delay. Hopefully all the players enjoyed the tournament! Stats will be posted soon, once my computer stops fighting with the tournament database.
Colin Veevers

Lisgar '18
Toronto '22