Southeast-Midwest Housewrite @ Eastern Canada (Saturday, May 1st, 2021)

Old college threads.
Calculus?
Wakka

Southeast-Midwest Housewrite @ Eastern Canada (Saturday, May 1st, 2021)

Post by Calculus? »

Hello, Canada!

In the absence of an available club to host this mirror, I, Meghan Torchia, will be independently directing a mirror of the Southeast-Midwest Housewrite, to be held over Discord on Saturday, May 1st, 2021.

Fees and Registration

These and any subsequent dollar amounts I mention are in Canadian Dollars unless otherwise specified.

Base fee: $100
Shorthanded Discount: -$25 for a team of 1 or 2 players
New Team Discount: -$25 if the university has not fielded a team at a tournament since August 1, 2019

To register, please send me an email at meghan [DOT] torchia [AT] gmail [DOT] com with the number of teams your school is sending and any discounts you'd like to claim. Please note that this is a closed mirror, only players affiliated with a university will be permitted to play. High school players will not be permitted to play or staff this event.

Staffing

If you'd like to staff this event, please send me an email at the address above, or message me on Facebook or Discord. Staffers will be paid -- the exact amount will depend on the field and the number of staffers I end up with -- I guarantee this will be at least $20 and will likely be more.

Eligibility

This tournament is exclusive to college teams; middle school and high school players may not play or moderate for this tournament. There will be no formal restrictions on strong players but a good rule of thumb would be “if you played ACF Winter, you can probably play this tournament.”

I've written "Eastern Canada" in the title of this announcement to reflect the circuit for which it is intended, but if you are from another part of Canada and would like to play this mirror, please let me know.

Set Info

The difficulty of the Southeast-Midwest Housewrite is around the level of 2018 PACE or 2019 ILLIAC; about 1.5 dots on the dot scale. The set is edited by Aidan Leahy [UGA], Govind Prabhakar [Georgetown], Arjun Nageswaran [Adlai E. Stevenson], Katherine Lei [MIT], Dylan Bowman [UIUC], Ethan Strombeck [Stanford], William Groger [Miami Valley], and Ethan Ashbrook [UMN] with featured writers from Yale, UIUC, Stanton College Prep, Lambert, and University Lab. Taylor Harvey [UF] will be acting as a general overseer. The distribution per packet is as follows:

4.00/4.00 Literature
4.00/4.00 History
4.00/4.00 Science
3.00/3.00 Fine Arts
1.00/1.00 Religious Beliefs and Traditions
1.00/1.00 Myths and Legends
0.75/0.75 Philosophy
0.75/0.75 Social Science
0.50/0.50 Current Events
0.50/0.50 Geography
0.50/0.50 Popular Culture and Other Academic

Misconduct

This tournament will not tolerate misconduct such as, but not limited to: racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, verbal harassment of players or staff, and generally inappropriate comments. A link to the misconduct form as well as the IKEA Code of Conduct, to which we’ll be adhering, will be available and visible on the server.

Cheating

Cheating will not be tolerated at this tournament. Video will be required for all players; if this is not an option please let us know beforehand via email or Discord. We reserve the right to remove anyone whom we believe to be cheating from the tournament. Our protocol for dealing with cheaters can also be found on the Code of Conduct linked above.

If you have any comments, questions, or concerns, please post them here. Looking forward to seeing you all virtually in May!

Current field:

Queen’s
UBC A
UBC B
UBC C
Western
Toronto A
Toronto B
Toronto C
McGill A
McGill B
McGill C
McGill D
Last edited by Calculus? on Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Meghan Torchia
President, University of Toronto Academic Trivia Club (2015-2018)
"Garlic 2: Around the World" LearnedLeague 1-Day 49th/1150 (96th %ile), February 9th, 2022
University of Toronto, 2018, 2023
Calculus?
Wakka

Re: Southeast-Midwest Housewrite @ Eastern Canada (Saturday, May 1st, 2021)

Post by Calculus? »

Two small updates on this: 1. This tournament will be run on the second half of SMH (SMH2). 2. The registration deadline for this tournament will be 11:59 PM EDT on Sunday, April 25th.
Meghan Torchia
"Garlic 2: Around the World" LearnedLeague 1-Day 49th/1150 (96th %ile), February 9th, 2022
Calculus?
Wakka

Post by Calculus? »

Here is the logistics email for this tournament:

Hello teams,

Thanks for registering for the SMH 2 mirror this coming Saturday, May 1st. This is your logistics information for the tournament. Please read it carefully and let me know if you have any questions.

The tournament will start at 10:00 AM sharp, please be online and in the Discord server at 9:45 for opening remarks.

The Discord server for this tournament can be found here: [REDACTED]

Upon joining, please change your server nickname to your real name, and react to the honour pledge in the #honor-pledge channel to indicate you will abide by it. After doing that, I will give you a role and you will be able to access the game rooms. Please do this ahead of time if possible in order to avoid delays the morning of the tournament (and possible public shaming from me).

PAYMENT

Teams with three or more players owe me $100, those with fewer owe me $75. You can pay me via etransfer at [REDACTED] and the money should autodeposit. Please put in the note which team(s) you are paying for. I WILL REQUIRE PAYMENT BEFORE THE START OF THE TOURNAMENT. If you expect an issue with paying on time, or etransfer won’t work for you, please talk to me ahead of time and we can work something out.

FORMAT

The tournament schedule is attached to this email, and it is also posted in the #announcements channel in the Discord server.

We have 12 teams and 10 packets for this tournament. The teams have been divided into two brackets of 6 (Plum and Apricot brackets) and will play a 5-game round robin against the other members of their bracket. This will be followed by lunch, and then a rebracket. The top 3 teams in Plum and the top 3 in Apricot will be placed into one bracket (Aprium) while the other 6 will be placed into the other (Plumcot). The teams will play three playoff rounds against the members of their bracket against whom they did not play in the prelims. Finals standings will be determined using only scores against teams who are in a given team’s playoff bracket. There will be an advantaged final if necessary.

Please feel free to respond to this email or reach out in another way if you have any questions or need clarification. Looking forward to see you all on Saturday!

Meghan
Meghan Torchia
Calculus?
Wakka

Post by Calculus? »

Thanks to everyone for coming out! We played 8 rounds plus a final between Torontos A and C (McGill D forfeited their final game as there was a three way tie for first), with Toronto A coming out victorious. Hope you all had a good time and congrats to Toronto A for winning.
Meghan Torchia