3/20/21: Southeast-Midwest Housewrite OPEN

Old college threads.
db0wman
Wakka

3/20/21: Southeast-Midwest Housewrite OPEN

Post by db0wman »

Overview
This is an announcement for the open online mirror of the 2021 Southeast-Midwest Housewrite, which will take place on March 20th, 2021. The tournament will begin at 10 AM ET. This tournament will cost $70 per team. I, Dylan Bowman, will be directing this tournament through Discord.

Registration Information and Discounts
The team formation spreadsheet can be found here. The initial field cap is 10 teams, but we may expand according to interest. Once you have a team of four, please email me at [email protected] to formally register.

Payment for this tournament will be primarily over Venmo; further information concerning payment will be available upon registration. If this is an issue, email me at [email protected] and we can work something out.

The base entry fee is $70.

Staffing
To sign up to staff for this tournament, mark yourself down on the rightmost part of the team formation spreadsheet. Staffers will be paid $40 for 9 rounds of moderating.

Set
The difficulty of the Southeast-Midwest Housewrite is around the level of 2018 PACE or 2019 ILLIAC; about 1.5 dots on the dot scale. The set is edited by Aidan Leahy [UGA], Govind Prabhakar [Georgetown], Arjun Nageswaran [Adlai E. Stevenson], Katherine Lei [MIT], Dylan Bowman [UIUC], Ethan Strombeck [Stanford], William Groger [Miami Valley], and Ethan Ashbrook [UMN] with featured writers from Yale, UIUC, Stanton College Prep, Lambert, GDS, and University Lab. Taylor Harvey [UF] will be acting as a general overseer. The distribution per packet is as follows:

4.00/4.00 Literature
4.00/4.00 History
4.00/4.00 Science
3.00/3.00 Fine Arts
1.00/1.00 Religious Beliefs and Traditions
1.00/1.00 Myths and Legends
0.75/0.75 Philosophy
0.75/0.75 Social Science
0.50/0.50 Current Events
0.50/0.50 Geography
0.50/0.50 Popular Culture and Other Academic

Eligibility
This tournament is open to any players who have graduated from high school. Middle school and high school players may not play or moderate for this tournament.

Misconduct
This tournament will not tolerate misconduct such as, but not limited to: racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, verbal harassment of players or staff, and generally inappropriate comments. A link to the misconduct form as well as the IKEA Code of Conduct, to which we’ll be adhering, will be available and visible on the server.

Cheating
Cheating will not be tolerated at this tournament. Video will be required for all players; if this is not an option please let us know beforehand via email or Discord. We reserve the right to remove anyone whom we believe to be cheating from the tournament. Our protocol for dealing with cheaters can also be found on the Code of Conduct linked above.
Dylan Bowman
Uni '20; Illinois '23
Mike Bentley
Sin

Re: 3/20/21: Southeast-Midwest Housewrite OPEN

Post by Mike Bentley »

I'm looking for a few teammates. Happy to have anyone who fits the category of "I like playing quizbowl, but not hard tournaments, and I'm no longer eligible to play college tournaments."
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
db0wman
Wakka

Post by db0wman »

The field for this tournament will be closed on Tuesday, March 16. Before then, please email me at [email protected] to finalize your registration. After Tuesday, I will form teams from the remaining free agents.
Dylan Bowman
Uni '20; Illinois '23
db0wman
Wakka

Post by db0wman »

The information email has been sent out to all registered teams and staffers. We're currently at 9 teams, so I'm going to keep the field open until Thursday, March 18 in case any teams would like to register to fill out the field.
Dylan Bowman
Uni '20; Illinois '23
db0wman
Wakka

Post by db0wman »

Congratulations to Chang et al. for first place at this tournament, defeating Sims et al. in a one game final. Full stats can be found here. Category stats can be found here.

A reminder that despite the first 10 packets of this set having concluded their collegiate mirrors, the set is not clear.
Dylan Bowman
Uni '20; Illinois '23