Cambridge/Oxford Open Tournament (COOT) North American Mirror

Old college threads.
VSCOelasticity
Rikku

Cambridge/Oxford Open Tournament (COOT) North American Mirror

Post by VSCOelasticity »

Hello, everyone. I am excited to announce a North America mirror of Cambridge/Oxford Open Tournament (COOT). The main set announcement can be found here. I, Jonathen Settle, will be the tournament director. The tournament will be run on Discord.

Date & Time
This tournament will take place on April 17th, 2021 at 10:00AM EST.

Question Set
See main thread.

Rules & Eligibility
This tournament will use the ACF rule set, with one exception. Rule H.12.C will be modified in the following way:

The sentence
Rule H.12.C wrote:If the protest resolution determines that a player or team should have been prompted on a tossup, but was ruled incorrect instead of being prompted, the original tossup will be thrown out and a replacement tossup will be read to the protesting team, on which the opposing team may not buzz in.

will be changed to
Modified Rule H.12.C wrote:If the protest resolution determines that a player or team should have been prompted on a tossup, but was ruled incorrect instead of being prompted, the original tossup will be thrown out and a replacement tossup will be read to both teams.
Please let me know if you have any question concerning the above rule change.

Other rules:
  • Each round will consist of 20 tossups and 20 bonuses.
  • This tournament has 15 point powers.
  • A webcam will be required for all players. Players with extenuating circumstances may contact me to request an exception.
  • This tournament is open, so there are no eligibility requirements.
  • This tournament is not region locked.
Registration
In order to register, please e-mail me with your roster (my address is at the end of this post) . You must have at least half your team (or two players if there is a team of three) to register. You don't have to pay when you register, but payment will be required before the start of the tournament. A spreadsheet for team formation is provided below, but forming a team on the sheet does not constitute registering for this tournament. A list of registered teams can be found on the "Registered Teams" tab.

Team Formation Sheet: North America COOT Mirror Team Formation

The field is currently capped at 16 teams.

Tournament Format
The field cap is currently 16 teams. With 16 teams, the planned format will be: two brackets of eight into four playoff brackets of four (9 rounds). A one-game final between teams with even records is guaranteed. If there is a situation that would normally require an advantaged final, the advantaged team will be declared the winner of the tournament unless all players from both teams involved agree to play in an advantaged final. Within each bracket, points per game will be used to break ties.

Fees
$100 per team

Payment
Payment via Venmo or Paypal is preferred. If your team needs to pay by other means, we can work something out. Please send only one payment per team, and include "COOT" in the payment description.

Staff Payment
$50 for staff who are capable of moderating an online round by themselves in 45-50 minutes. Staff must have an external mic and a stable internet connection. Staff will be required to do a quick equipment check prior to the event. Staff will be paid over Venmo or Paypal.

Code of Conduct
The tournament will use this Code of Conduct. It was adapted from the PACE NSC Code of Conduct. Thank you to PACE for developing this resource for the community. All players, staff, and other spectators must read and agree to the Code of Conduct to participate in this event. If you have any concerns about the Code of Conduct, please raise them in this thread or to me via e-mail.

Contact Information
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns that you want to send to me privately, I am available via e-mail: settlejonathen at gmail dot com.
Last edited by VSCOelasticity on Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:46 am, edited 6 times in total.
Eleanor
they/she
VSCOelasticity
Rikku

Re: Cambridge/Oxford Open Tournament (COOT) North American Mirror

Post by VSCOelasticity »

The poll was close, but this tournament will be held on April 17th, 2021 starting at 10:00AM EST.

The initial field cap will be 10 teams. The planned format is a full round robin (9 games). A one-game final between teams with even records is guaranteed. If there is a situation that would normally require an advantaged final, the advantaged team will be declared the winner of the tournament unless all players from both teams involved agree to play in an advantaged final.

We currently have 3 staffers signed up, and are looking for at least 2 more. If you are interested in staffing, please sign up on the sheet! Staff will be paid $50 for their time. The field cap will only be expanded if more staffers sign up.

In order to register, please e-mail me (my address is in the initial post) with your roster. You must have at least half your team (or two players if there is a team of three) to register. You don't have to pay when you register, but payment will be required before the start of the tournament.

The field will be updated on the "Registered Teams" sheet of the team formation spreadsheet.

The original post will be edited to include this information. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. I look forward to seeing you all on April 17th!
Eleanor
they/she
VSCOelasticity
Rikku

Post by VSCOelasticity »

I can't read a bar graph, apparently. The tournament is on April 17th. All posts have been updated. If you registered and 4/17 doesn't work, please let me know. I apologize for my goof.
Eleanor
they/she
VSCOelasticity
Rikku

Post by VSCOelasticity »

The field cap has been expanded to 12 teams.
Eleanor
they/she
VSCOelasticity
Rikku

Post by VSCOelasticity »

The field cap has been expanded to 16 teams. With 16 teams, the planned format will be: two brackets of eight into four playoff brackets of four (9 rounds).

I'd like one more staffer for 16 teams, and staff are welcome to sign up in anticipation of the field size increasing again.

Please note that the expectation is that each staffer can run a room by themselves. I am going to keep the field size such that there is some "redundant" staffers in case of emergency, but all staff who sign up will get $50.
Eleanor
they/she
nickdai
Wakka

Post by nickdai »

Hello! One of my teammates had to drop, and I'm not very familiar with the greater community, so if any of the free agents/others are interested in having some casual fun with some younger players, please contact me on Discord/Messenger/Email! Thanks!
Nicholas "Nicc" Dai
戴若涵

Westview High School '21
University of California, San Diego '25
VSCOelasticity
Rikku

Post by VSCOelasticity »

Hello everyone! COOT is happening this weekend! We have one more team slot and some empty slots on existing teams. Existing teams should fill out their rosters. Free agents should either find an existing team to join or contact other free agents to make a 16th team. If the field is not full by 8 AM Eastern on Thursday, I will make teams from the existing free agents. I will send an e-mail reminder to free agents Tuesday (tomorrow) afternoon.

Expect a logistics e-mail to go out Thursday evening.
Eleanor
they/she
VSCOelasticity
Rikku

Post by VSCOelasticity »

Hello! I need staff for COOT this Saturday 4/17! I am paying $50 with the expectation that you can mod a room by yourself. Please staff COOT! PM me on here or email me if you're available
Eleanor
they/she
VSCOelasticity
Rikku

Post by VSCOelasticity »

There's room for a 16th team if anyone wants to sign up at the last minute!
Eleanor
they/she
VSCOelasticity
Rikku

Post by VSCOelasticity »

The logistics e-mail has been sent out. Please let me know if you did not receive it.
Eleanor
they/she