2021 Delta Burke at Ohio State University (3/13/2021)

Old college threads.
InspectorNorse
Lulu

2021 Delta Burke at Ohio State University (3/13/2021)

Post by InspectorNorse »

Hello! I am pleased to announce that the Academic Team at Ohio State University will be hosting a mirror of Delta Burke on March 13, 2021.

The tournament will take place virtually on Discord. There will be a brief opening meeting at 9:45 AM EST, and gameplay will begin at 10 AM EST. I, Sam Stahler, will be the tournament director leading up to the tournament, and Chris Ray will be the tournament director for the day of the tournament. Please direct any questions about this site to me at [email protected].

Eligibility
Delta Burke is a regular-minus difficulty tournament, meaning it is slightly easier than ACF Fall. Any teams are open to play, but please keep in mind that this tournament is intended for newer players and teams. We are happy to have teams register regardless of geographic location.

Rules
This tournament will follow ACF’s official gameplay rules. Please note that ACF’s rules have been modified for online gameplay.

Registration
To register for this tournament, email me at [email protected]. Please let me know how many teams you’re bringing, the rosters for those teams, and if you intend to bring any staffers. I’ll try to invoice teams as soon as possible after they register. For now, I’m putting a cap of 18 teams for registration, though I’m flexible to change that if demand is high enough and/or if other regions don’t host a mirror.

Fees
  • Base fee: $75
  • New to quizbowl discount: −$20
  • Shorthanded discount (1–2 players): −$25
  • Staffers: −$15 per staffer with a functional laptop. Alternatively, we are willing to pay any interested staffers $15.
The new to quizbowl discount is intended for schools that did not send a team to any regular collegiate academic tournament (exclusively Novice tournaments do not count) since September 2019, and have no one on the team(s) claiming this discount who played those tournaments for another school.

If there’s any info you need that I’ve missed, please let me know. Otherwise, we look forward to seeing you on discord March 13!
Last edited by InspectorNorse on Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam Stahler
Upper Arlington High School ‘18
Ohio State University ‘22
Kent State University ‘24
He/Him/His
InspectorNorse
Lulu

Re: 2021 Delta Burke at Ohio State University (3/13/2021)

Post by InspectorNorse »

Hi all! Here’s a field update as March rolls around. I’ll continue to edit this as more teams register (and as Chris Borglum noted, we’re currently the only school running a mirror of this tournament, so please feel free to register regardless of geographic location).

Current Field (Teams/Staffers)
WUSTL (4/0)
Michigan (2/0)
Penn (1/0)
CMU (2/0)
Northwestern (1/3)
Rochester (1/0)
NMU (1/0)
WVU (1/1)
Lake Land (1/0)
Alabama (1/0)
McGill (2/0)
OSU (1/Many)
Last edited by InspectorNorse on Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Sam Stahler
He/Him/His
InspectorNorse
Lulu

Post by InspectorNorse »

I would ask that if you are interested in playing and have not already registered, to please do so by the end of the day Tuesday. We currently have room for two more teams.
Sam Stahler
He/Him/His
InspectorNorse
Lulu

Post by InspectorNorse »

Registration is locked and the field is full. Teams who are participating should be receiving an email from me tonight with more info. Additionally, this tournament could use some additional staffing help- if you’re available and interested, please contact me at [email protected]. Again, we are paying $15 for staffing. Thanks!
Sam Stahler
He/Him/His
InspectorNorse
Lulu

Post by InspectorNorse »

Congratulations to McGill A for winning this tournament, and to Brandon Jones from Alabama for leading the individual scoring field!

A sincere thank you to all our staffers for their flexibility and for all the work they put in to get this tournament to run smoothly, to Chris Ray for his work as the day-of TD, to Zac Bennett for handling our stats, to Chris Borglum for putting this tournament together, and to all the teams that played for making this tournament possible at all. Stats are uploaded and available here- https://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/6884/.

If you have any feedback or anything you’d like to note about this tournament, please don’t hesitate to contact me at [email protected].
Sam Stahler
He/Him/His
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Thanks to Sam and all his staff for running a competition on the 2020 Delta Burke set. I hope everyone enjoyed the questions. I've requested a private discussion forum, and when that exists I'll announce it here. In the meantime, if you have anything you're itching to share about the set or any specific questions, please feel free to contact me at chrisdborglum at gmail dot com.

EDIT: A private discussion forum (2021 Delta Burke Discussion) has been created! You can access that through your UCP and apply to join. Please come by and offer any feedback you may have on the set as a whole or any specific questions. As the set is aimed at CC players who are new to the game, I'm especially interested to hear what university players who may have more HS quiz bowl experience think of it.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah