DERMATITIS - An Immunology Side Event (Summer 2023)

Old college threads.
kitakule
Wakka

DERMATITIS - An Immunology Side Event (Summer 2023)

Post by kitakule »

I’m pleased to make a preliminary announcement for DERMATITIS (Do Excuse the Results of Moses’ Attempt To Introduce a Tolerable Immunology Set), an all-immunology side event written by myself. Geoffrey Chen will be overseeing the set for quality control.

I’m in the final months of a two-year fellowship at the NIH and plan to continue immunology research for my PhD, so I thought it’d be fun to take what I learn along the way and try my hand at writing some science questions. I’ll be shooting for Lederberg difficulty (somewhere between ACF Nationals and CO), so this should be accessible to strong bio players and anyone with an interest in immunology. I’m not yet entirely sure how many questions I'm going to write, but I'll cap the set at a maximum of 5 packets of 20 questions each. Below is a very rough and preliminary distribution:

5/0 Autoimmunity, Allergy, Immunodeficiency

5/0 Microbiology-Immunology (Virology, Bacteriology, Parasitology)

5/0 Cancer Immunology

5/0 Classical Immunology (i.e. components of the innate and adaptive immune systems)

I’ll get started on the set as soon as JaMES is wrapped up. I’m not sure when this will be finished because med school will be quite busy, but I’m going to aim for Summer 2023 just to give myself something of a deadline. If you are interested in collaborating or playtesting this set, feel free to shoot me a message. This venture is a little out of my comfort zone as far as quizbowl writing is concerned, but I’m excited to learn and try something new. Hopefully you’ll have fun playing the set when it (eventually) comes out!
Moses Kitakule
ESA '15
Yale '19
Columbia '28 (???)