2021 NAQT ICT: online, April 10

Old college threads.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

2021 NAQT ICT: online, April 10

Post by Important Bird Area »

NAQT and LetterOne are pleased to announce that the 2021 NAQT Intercollegiate Championship Tournament will take place online Saturday, April 10.

This tournament will use NAQT’s Official Gameplay Rules as modified for online play.

The field for Division I will be limited to 32 teams. NAQT may expand the field depending on the level of interest and the availability of resources.

The field for Division II will be limited to 32 teams. NAQT may expand the field depending on the level of interest and the availability of resources.

NAQT will reserve eight spots in the Division I field and eight spots in the Division II field for teams to be invited at NAQT’s discretion. Those spots will be reserved through February 7 at 11:59 p.m. Central time.

Three spots in the Division II field will be reserved for the top three teams from the 2021 Community College Championship Tournament. Those teams will have until March 3 to claim their spots, unless they request and receive an extension.

The remaining spots will be available for registration beginning on February 8. Any team consisting of eligible players (respectively by division) may register for these spots. For the first 24 hours of open registration, each school will be limited to no more than three teams total and no more than two per division (including teams that were invited in the first group).

All teams (regardless of which type of slot they register for) must pay their registration fees within a week of registering, or else they will be dropped from the field.

In 2021, being invited to or registering for the ICT does not itself count as qualifying for the ICT in the sense of causing players to lose their Division II eligibility. The only way to lose Division II eligibility in 2021 is to actually play in the ICT.

Full details

Current field

Updated 3/21 --JTH
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Votre Kickstarter Est Nul
Rikku

Re: 2021 NAQT ICT: online, April 10

Post by Votre Kickstarter Est Nul »

I'm sorry if any of this has been addressed elsewhere (discord, etc.) since I'm not plugged in, but what is the rationale behind barring people who qualified for DII ICT last year and who are still at those schools to play DII ICT this year? I get the rationale normally (can't have a year with two whole batches of DII qualified teams, don't wanna allow last year's DII teams to play SCT and stomp around again, etc). But with no SCT this year, this year's ICT can, I think, be considered a "replacement" for last year's ICT. No new teams qualified at the buzzer, so no space would be eaten by allowing last year's qualifiers to play. For this to work, I think teams shouldn't be allowed to mix freshman they got this year with people who qualified last year, so I don't see DII superteams being a huge issue. Perhaps teams whose best DII players have since become mainstays on their DI teams (or "A" teams) could do so, on a case-by-case basis. The last thing seems like a detail to work out, but I'm confident a solution exists such that this overall proposal is workable and worthwhile.

Rutgers, for instance, is in a weird place. We received one of the first invites based on our DII team's strong performance last year (I presume, I'm not the President nor am I privy to the decision-making process, but it seemed apparent). Collin, Darren, Ameya, and John have not since played a) an ICT or b) an SCT in DI. There have been the exact same amount of NAQT tournaments between SCT and ICT as there normally would be, just with more literal time in between. This seems as good a time as any for an exception to these eligibility rules. Because the pandemic has lasted this long, and SCT was cancelled, I see no reason not to honor last year's bids (for teams whose players are still enrolled at that college) and give those teams the chance to play the ICT they originally could not.*

*I'm a little partial to the notion that those who graduated should be allowed to return and play with their teammates, though I'm sure its complicated enough that it ain't that simple. I'm not sure how much I believe this part (it has implications for DI too that I'm mixed on).

EDIT: added the part about combined teams.
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
Important Bird Area

Update to our payment policy for the 2021 ICT: our new policy is as follows (the older more restrictive one was causing some trouble with school payment offices):
Within one week of registering, all teams must pay their registration fee or provide evidence of progress toward doing so. For teams who will pay through their schools, this can be a scan, screenshot, or photograph of forms initiating the school’s process for doing so. For teams paying by check that doesn’t go through school bureaucracy, a photo of the check suffices.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area

naqt.com wrote:The remaining spots will be available for registration beginning on February 8. Any team consisting of eligible players (respectively by division) may register for these spots. For the first 24 hours of open registration, each school will be limited to no more than three teams total and no more than two per division (including teams that were invited in the first group).
Register here

[Division I had a waitlist within 30 seconds of opening registration (!); we're working on staff recruitment.]
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Votre Kickstarter Est Nul wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:02 amwhat is the rationale behind barring people who qualified for DII ICT last year and who are still at those schools to play DII ICT this year?
We're aware that all of the options in this case are suboptimal, and any decision we make will be disappointing to some number of teams who might want to play the 2021 ICT. In general, our policy here is that we do not view "every player gets a chance to play Division II ICT once" as a right; we believe that it's more important to preserve the baseline principle behind the division split in the first place: namely, "Division II is for players with less experience of collegiate quiz bowl." (Compare the case of players who qualify at SCT, but don't play ICT that year because of other commitments or illness; we don't restore their Division II eligibility for subsequent years, even though they weren't able to play the Division II ICT.) We understand that what happened to the players who qualified at the 2020 SCT is on a different scale from "one player burned their eligibility at SCT and didn't make it to ICT," but our internal discussions over the summer reached a consensus that we should not restore eligibility en masse.

We very much wanted to avoid ever having a "super-strong" Division II field with more than one year's worth of qualifying teams in it at a time. We have a limited amount of space at any given year's ICT, and letting last year's qualifiers into Division II would probably crowd out new teams (indeed, both divisions of this year's ICT with open registration are already running a waitlist). Note that it's already relatively difficult to qualify for Division II ICT (in 2019: 41.8% of the Division I SCT field qualified for ICT; only 16.7% of four-year Division II teams qualified for ICT), and we don't want to make that worse. We also need to consider that adding an extra year of Division II eligibility has a long-term impact on the size of Division I fields going forward once we're able to host SCT in-person again.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

The Division I field for the 2021 ICT has been expanded to 24 teams.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

The Division I field for the 2021 ICT has been expanded to 32 teams.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

The Division II field for the 2021 ICT has been expanded to 32 teams.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

naqt.com wrote:NAQT’s Integrity Policy is intended to ensure that its national championships occur without cheating and—almost as importantly—without the suspicion of cheating.

The policy has two parts. First, all active players need to have their faces and both hands visible on camera at essentially all times. Second, game officials may give players additional directives during the game in response to observed behavior.
Full details
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Borrowing 100,000 Arrows
Wakka

Post by Borrowing 100,000 Arrows »

Important Bird Area wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:26 pm
naqt.com wrote:NAQT’s Integrity Policy is intended to ensure that its national championships occur without cheating and—almost as importantly—without the suspicion of cheating.

The policy has two parts. First, all active players need to have their faces and both hands visible on camera at essentially all times. Second, game officials may give players additional directives during the game in response to observed behavior.
Full details
It would have been a nice if you had made all of this clear weeks ago. If I'm understanding the policy correctly, basically everyone needs to have an external webcam. That's no problem for me personally, but I imagine a lot of people don't have external webcams, and giving them only six days notice to purchase one strikes me as a little unreasonable.
Caleb K.
Maryland '24, Oklahoma '18, Norman North '15
db0wman
Wakka

Post by db0wman »

Borrowing 100,000 Arrows wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:01 pm

Full details
It would have been a nice if you had made all of this clear weeks ago. If I'm understanding the policy correctly, basically everyone needs to have an external webcam. That's no problem for me personally, but I imagine a lot of people don't have external webcams, and giving them only six days notice to purchase one strikes me as a little unreasonable.
The way in which I interpreted this is that players should use their phones to buzz in and raise those into view of their main webcam.
Dylan Bowman
Uni '20; Illinois '23
Borrowing 100,000 Arrows
Wakka

Post by Borrowing 100,000 Arrows »

db0wman wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:40 pm
Borrowing 100,000 Arrows wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:01 pm

Full details
The way in which I interpreted this is that players should use their phones to buzz in and raise those into view of their main webcam.
That makes more sense. Thanks!
Caleb K.
Maryland '24, Oklahoma '18, Norman North '15
VSCOelasticity
Rikku

Post by VSCOelasticity »

A quick clarifying question: are players allowed to buzz on Buzzin.Live with a keyboard attached to the same computer that Zoom is running? This is assuming that the keyboard is able to be held such that both hands are on the webcam.
Eleanor
they/she
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

VSCOelasticity wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:39 am A quick clarifying question: are players allowed to buzz on Buzzin.Live with a keyboard attached to the same computer that Zoom is running? This is assuming that the keyboard is able to be held such that both hands are on the webcam.
Yes, that is fine:
https://www.naqt.com/nationals/online-integrity/ wrote: A player sitting back from their camera can use a phone (or other mobile device) with BuzzIn.Live. They may also use a wireless/external keyboard or some other device (such as a USB numeric keypad).
Seth Teitler
Formerly UC Berkeley and U. Chicago
President of NAQT
Emeritus member of ACF
rahulkeyal
Wakka

Post by rahulkeyal »

Does NAQT have a policy on players staying unmuted throughout the match vs. only unmuting when answering questions? Some members of our club (who do not have major sources of background noise) would prefer the former because buzzing in the Buzzin.live client and then unmuting in the Zoom window can be cumbersome in the 2 second window.
Rahul Keyal
Berkeley '21
Member, ACF
hokie168
Lulu

Post by hokie168 »

Would it be okay to liveblog the event for HSQB, as long as there is no question content mentioned?
Dennis Loo
Former coach at TJ and IMSA
Former player at UVA and Virginia Tech
jagluski
Wakka

Post by jagluski »

hokie168 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:25 pm Would it be okay to liveblog the event for HSQB, as long as there is no question content mentioned?
Dennis,

Please send me an email: joel dot gluskin at naqt dot com and I'd be happy to discuss with you.
Joel Gluskin
WUSTL '04
NAQT Vice President for Logistics
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Wanted to compliment NAQT on the quality of the instructional videos - they are excellent and very clear. I appreciate in particular the attention to the (frequent) negative issues stemming from connection problems and think the solution arrived at there was fair and reasonable.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
VSCOelasticity
Rikku

Post by VSCOelasticity »

I don't believe I saw this mentioned in the video, apologies if it was.

Will the moderators be counting the seconds after the buzz themselves or using the buzzin.live counter? And if they're using the buzzin.live counter, will we be expected to just say the answer if we are first (timer starts right away) or will we be recognized (timer starts after moderator recognizes the first player)?
Eleanor
they/she
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

VSCOelasticity wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:05 pm I don't believe I saw this mentioned in the video, apologies if it was.

Will the moderators be counting the seconds after the buzz themselves or using the buzzin.live counter? And if they're using the buzzin.live counter, will we be expected to just say the answer if we are first (timer starts right away) or will we be recognized (timer starts after moderator recognizes the first player)?
The way I'm interpreting Rule G.2 and G.4 means that recognition is mandatory, and your time doesn't start until the moderator has said your name.

(I have no idea on whether the timing will be done on buzzin.live)
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Votre Kickstarter Est Nul
Rikku

Post by Votre Kickstarter Est Nul »

1992 in spaceflight wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:16 pm
VSCOelasticity wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:05 pm I don't believe I saw this mentioned in the video, apologies if it was.

The way I'm interpreting Rule G.2 and G.4 means that recognition is mandatory, and your time doesn't start until the moderator has said your name.

(I have no idea on whether the timing will be done on buzzin.live)
I believe in the video it says you can start your answer before being recognized. Not sure about the timing of it though. Hope that's right, if not, my b!
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
mtn335
Lulu

Post by mtn335 »

Votre Kickstarter Est Nul wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:47 pm

I believe in the video it says you can start your answer before being recognized. Not sure about the timing of it though. Hope that's right, if not, my b!
We have elected not to use BuzzIn.Live’s timing feature at this time, but the discussion here has the other aspects right. The moderator must recognize the player, and must do so verbally and by name. In person our moderators still must recognize players, but in additional to by name the recognition may be a point, glance, nod, or similar. In person or online, there is no requirement that a player wait to be recognized before answering, so long as that player has legally signaled.Time begins at recognition, not at the time of signaling.
Nathan Murphy
NAQT Member
HSNCT/ICT Logistics Director
Gonzaga University 2007
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

rahulkeyal wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:09 pm Does NAQT have a policy on players staying unmuted throughout the match vs. only unmuting when answering questions? Some members of our club (who do not have major sources of background noise) would prefer the former because buzzing in the Buzzin.live client and then unmuting in the Zoom window can be cumbersome in the 2 second window.
Players may try staying unmuted, regardless of their audio set-up. If there are issues with background noise, moderators will ask players to switch to push-to-talk.
Seth Teitler
Formerly UC Berkeley and U. Chicago
President of NAQT
Emeritus member of ACF
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

mtn335 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:25 pm
Votre Kickstarter Est Nul wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:47 pm

We have elected not to use BuzzIn.Live’s timing feature at this time, but the discussion here has the other aspects right. The moderator must recognize the player, and must do so verbally and by name. In person our moderators still must recognize players, but in additional to by name the recognition may be a point, glance, nod, or similar. In person or online, there is no requirement that a player wait to be recognized before answering, so long as that player has legally signaled.Time begins at recognition, not at the time of signaling.
Glad to hear this - this seems like the fairest way to make sure timing is consistent for this tournament. Thanks, Nathan!
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

mtn335 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:25 pm Time begins at recognition, not at the time of signaling.
Yale has two players with the same first name. I have three questions about this circumstance, which also may apply to situations in which two players on different teams have identical or similar names.

(1) Are moderators under instructions about what they need to say when recognizing players? Will they recite the player's whole display name, just their first name, or something else based on their judgment?
(2) If the process of recognition takes a substantial amount of time ("Daniel. [moderator pauses, then realizes there are two] Oh, uh...Sheinberg."), when does the two-second clock start?
(3) Is the moderator's judgment that they unambiguously recognized a player protestable?

I acknowledge that NAQT may already have given moderators clear, unambiguous instructions on how to handle these situations, but the player-facing video is pretty terse when it addresses this at 22:39.

Separately, the video incorrectly claims at 14:50 that timing begins at signaling ("Players still have [...] two seconds after signaling in which to begin an answer."), but I assume that this is just a typo in the script.

(Thanks to Olivia for helping formulate these points.)
Stephen Eltinge
Then: TJ, MIT, Yale, PACE, NAQT
Now: ACF
mtn335
Lulu

Post by mtn335 »

t-bar wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:30 pm
mtn335 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:25 pm Time begins at recognition, not at the time of signaling.
Yale has two players with the same first name. I have three questions about this circumstance, which also may apply to situations in which two players on different teams have identical or similar names.

(1) Are moderators under instructions about what they need to say when recognizing players? Will they recite the player's whole display name, just their first name, or something else based on their judgment?
(2) If the process of recognition takes a substantial amount of time ("Daniel. [moderator pauses, then realizes there are two] Oh, uh...Sheinberg."), when does the two-second clock start?
(3) Is the moderator's judgment that they unambiguously recognized a player protestable?

I acknowledge that NAQT may already have given moderators clear, unambiguous instructions on how to handle these situations, but the player-facing video is pretty terse when it addresses this at 22:39.

Separately, the video incorrectly claims at 14:50 that timing begins at signaling ("Players still have [...] two seconds after signaling in which to begin an answer."), but I assume that this is just a typo in the script.

(Thanks to Olivia for helping formulate these points.)

Hi, Stephen and Olivia! Good questions.

(1) The instruction to staff is to recognize "verbally, by name." I didn't go into full first/last, and I don't particularly believe that to be necessary in general. I did not address the case of "if players on a team have the same first name" in the training, but I'll discuss with my colleagues about mentioning it in the staff meeting (and I think it's a good idea).

Note that we do expect that players will be aware of whether they've been successful in signaling or not; recognition is a requirement in the rules, but, it is a formality. Players should expect a brief pause while the moderator says their name, followed by 2 seconds in which to begin an answer.

(2) Moderators are given a great deal of leeway by the rules as regards things like this; in essence, they have the sole and unprotestable authority to determine whether or not players have exceeded the permitted time (Rule G.7). Determining when that time begins falls into that broader determination of whether time has been exceeded. Basically, when the moderator considers themselves to have recognized the player, then, the time period begins.

In the specific case you brought up here, I would certainly expect our officials to understand that they have continued the act of recognition, and that the time period to respond shouldn't begin until after they've completed that act.

(3) In general, no, it isn't, under the same Rule G.7 reference as in #2. That isn't to say that if the moderator blatantly sets aside the rule and claims otherwise that we wouldn't have the discussion (permitted under J.4). But in general, this is the moderator's call, full stop.

As regards the video, you are absolutely right, and what's more, I've been using the same phrasing going back to 2014 or something. Gah. :p If we open this up for edits at any time this year, I'll fix it.
Nathan Murphy
NAQT Member
HSNCT/ICT Logistics Director
Gonzaga University 2007
hokie168
Lulu

Post by hokie168 »

I'll be liveblogging for HSQB at https://hsquizbowl.org/blog/ . I intend on following the top bracket for playoffs/superplayoffs. Let me know if there are any games you want me to attend, especially in the prelim rounds. I'll be starting Round 3 or Round 4, depending on where the tournament is at when I get off work around 11 am Central.
Dennis Loo
Former coach at TJ and IMSA
Former player at UVA and Virginia Tech
Important Bird Area

Congratulations to the champions of the 2021 NAQT Intercollegiate Championship Tournament, powered by LetterOne!

In Division I, Columbia defeated Illinois 295-190 in the second game of an advantaged final. Brown defeated Princeton, 265-215, in the first game of an advantaged final, to claim the Division I (Undergraduate) title. In Division II, Vanderbilt defeated the University of Minnesota 430-140 in the second game of an advantaged final.

Complete team and individual statistics are now available on naqt.com.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

A private forum for discussion of the 2021 ICT set is now available from your user control panel. (Our apologies that this took a few days to set up- we needed to sort a few things out about the existence of, and security measures for, a future British tournament using the ICT set.)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Podcasts of selected matches from the 2021 ICT are now available here.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF