Spring Novice (March-April 2021)

Old college threads.
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Spring Novice (March-April 2021)

Post by ryanrosenberg »

I am pleased to announce Spring Novice, a tournament designed to introduce new players to college quizbowl. I will be head editing, with assistance from Katherine Lei (MIT), Alex Damisch (formerly of Lawrence and DePaul), and Chris Chiego (formerly of UGA, UCSD, and Penn). The tournament will be written by Alice Jiang (USC), Aryaman Jaiswal (WashU), Angela Lin (UC Berkeley), Albert Zhang (Columbia), Collin Ace (Rutgers), Cormac Beirne (McGill), Chauncey Lo (Vassar), David Bass (Virginia), Drew Benner (Purdue), Douglas Meeker (Carleton), Ewan Mitchell (NC State), Jeremy Cummings (WashU), Jakobi Deslouches (Maryland), Jason Huang (UC Berkeley), Kevin Thomas (UNC), Lalit Maharjan (Purdue), Minh-Khanh Phung (Purdue), Nathaniel Hull (Princeton), Payton Schubel (Duke), Raymond Chen (Toronto), Rudra Ranganathan (formerly of Michigan), Sean Farrell (North Florida), William Orr (Langley HS), and Will Yaeger (Lehigh).

Hosting
This tournament will be available for hosting March 27-April 18.

If you are interested in hosting, please contact me at [email protected] by December 15. The hosting fee will be $30 per team, and the recommended fee schedule is as follows:
  • $80 per team
  • $50 for teams new to quizbowl (defined as having not played a tournament in the 2018-19 or 2019-20 seasons)
  • -$25 per trained staffer
The new to quizbowl discount will be taken entirely out of the editors’ cut (i.e. hosts will not have to pay any hosting fee for new teams). We strongly encourage hosts to reach out to new schools and less-active clubs and will be happy to assist with such outreach.

We will also accept bids for high-school-only mirrors; if you would like to host a mirror for high school teams, please note that in your email.

Hosts and Tentative Regions
  • Northeast (CT/RI/MA/VT/NH/ME): MIT (April 17)
  • Upper Mid-Atlantic (Eastern NY/NJ/DE/Eastern PA): Rutgers (March 27)
  • Lower Mid-Atlantic (MD/DC/VA/NC): UNC/Duke (March 27)
  • Southeast (SC/GA/FL/TN/AL/MS/LA/AR): Georgia Tech (March 27)
  • Great Lakes (Western NY/Western PA/OH/MI): CMU (March 27)
  • Midwest (IN/IL/WI/KY/MO): Purdue (April 17)
  • Central (MN/IA/ND/SD/NE/KS/OK/TX): Carleton (April 17)
  • West (ID/MT/UT/CO/WY/AZ/NM/CA/OR/WA/Western Canada): Berkeley (April 3)
  • Eastern Canada: Toronto (March 27)
  • UK: UK Quizbowl
Eligibility
This tournament is intended for players with no or very little quizbowl experience. Players with extensive quizbowl experience are encouraged to help staff.

You are not eligible for this tournament if you meet any of the following criteria:
  • You have ever scored more than 60 points per game at a quizbowl tournament (excluding middle school tournaments).
  • You have made the playoffs at HSNCT or top 32 at NSC.
  • You have played ICT (DI or DII) or ACF Nationals.
If you meet one or more of these criteria but believe you still fit the intended audience of this tournament, email me at [email protected] to request an eligibility exemption.

Question Set
The tournament set will have 10 packets of 24 tossups and 24 three-part bonuses, each worth 10 points each. Tossups will be between 5-6 lines in 10pt Times New Roman font, and bonuses will be length-controlled to ensure a quick-moving tournament experience.

As this tournament is intended for novice quizbowl players, difficulty will be strictly controlled, and questions will be written to assume little prior familiarity with the quizbowl canon. To reference other sets, the target difficulty will be easier than 2020 ACF Fall.

Each packet will have the following distribution of questions (X/Y indicating X tossups and Y bonuses):
  • 4/4 Literature
    • 1/1 Novels
    • 1/1 Poetry
    • 1/1 Drama
    • 1/1 Short Stories and Miscellaneous
    Note: the literature questions will also be distributed by geographic area and time period in addition to genre.
  • 4/4 History
    • 1/1 American History
    • 1/1 European History
    • 1/1 World History
    • 1/1 Other History (including archaeology, historiography, and more of the above categories)
  • 4/4 Science
    • 1/1 Biology
    • 1/1 Chemistry
    • 1/1 Physics
    • 1/0 or 0/1 Mathematics
    • 1/0 or 0/1 Computer Science, Earth Science, and Astronomy
  • 3/3 Arts
    • 1/1 Painting and Sculpture
    • 1/1 Classical Music
    • 1/1 Other Arts (including but not limited to architecture, jazz, opera, dance, fashion, and film)
  • 3/3 Beliefs and Legends
    • 1/1 Religion
    • 1/1 Philosophy
    • 1/1 Mythology
  • 2/2 Social Science
    • 1/0 or 0/1 Economics
    • 1/0 or 0/1 Psychology
    • 1/1 Other SS (including anthropology, sociology, linguistics, political science, international relations, and more)
  • 2/2 Popular Culture
    • 1/0 or 0/1 Movies and TV
    • 1/0 or 0/1 Pop Music
    • 1/0 or 0/1 Sports
    • 1/0 or 0/1 Other Pop Culture (including comics, musicals, video games, and more of the above)
  • 2/2 The World
    • 1/1 Geography
    • 1/1 Current Events
Last edited by ryanrosenberg on Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:16 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Protean
Lulu

Re: Spring Novice (March-April 2021)

Post by Protean »

ryanrosenberg wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:17 pm We are looking for at least one host in the following regions:
  • Northeast (NY, CT, VT, NH, RI, MA, ME)
  • Mid-Atlantic (NJ, PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)
  • South (NC, SC, GA, FL, AL, MS, TN, KY, LA, TX)
  • Great Lakes (MI, OH, IN)
  • Midwest (IL, WI)
  • Great Plains and Rockies (MN, IA, MO, OK, TX, CO, UT, MT, ID, AZ)
  • West Coast (CA, OR, WA)
Oh :(
Raymond Chen
McMaster University, 2017
University of Toronto, 202x
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Protean wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:06 pm
ryanrosenberg wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:17 pm We are looking for at least one host in the following regions:
  • Northeast (NY, CT, VT, NH, RI, MA, ME)
  • Mid-Atlantic (NJ, PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)
  • South (NC, SC, GA, FL, AL, MS, TN, KY, LA, TX)
  • Great Lakes (MI, OH, IN)
  • Midwest (IL, WI)
  • Great Plains and Rockies (MN, IA, MO, OK, TX, CO, UT, MT, ID, AZ)
  • West Coast (CA, OR, WA)
Oh :(
Oh no, I'm sorry! That's my fault, I'll clarify that we are seeking hosts in Canada (and the UK).
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

I'm excited to announce that Katherine Lei has joined the team as our science editor!

There's also still a couple of days left to apply to write for this set -- we've already gotten some applications from new writers, but there's still plenty of room, definitely apply if you're considering it!
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

The announcement has been updated with the tournament's writers. Question production is underway and I'm excited to help bring this set to you all!
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

I've updated the original post with a list of our confirmed mirrors. We're still looking for hosts in some regions, particularly the Northeast, Great Plains/South, and UK; please send an email to [email protected] if you'd be interested in hosting.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Initial post updated with our full set of collegiate mirrors.

I'm also planning on running a mirror for competitive trivia players (drawing mostly from the excellent Online Quiz League USA) -- let me know if you're interested in staffing!
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

A general note: if teams cannot make their local mirror (e.g. because it falls over spring break or the club is hosting a MS/HS tournament), they should feel free to register for another regional mirror on a different date.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

This set is now clear and the questions are posted! https://hsquizbowl.org/db/questionsets/2593/
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF