DATE + TIME POLL: Online Solo Tournament

Old college threads.
gimmedatguudsuccrose
Wakka

DATE + TIME POLL: Online Solo Tournament

Post by gimmedatguudsuccrose »

I am happy to announce a yet-to-be-named online tournament for solo quizbowl players! Although this is not a full tournament announcement, I will highlight the main points in this post.

Who Can Play?
This tournament is open to any players who have either graduated from or are currently (2019-2020 academic year) enrolled in college.

What Difficulty Is It?
We are targeting the College Nationals difficulty, with an emphasis on Regs-level answerlines. There are 22 tossups per round, and questions will be capped at 7 lines 10pt TNR, with both 20-point powers and 30-point superpowers (!!!!). The distribution will be a modified version of the distribution used at MWT.

Who is writing this?
The current writing team consists of me, Jacob Reed, Vishwa Shanmugam, James Malouf, and Wonyoung Jang.

What is the format?
The format will consist of 6 preliminary rounds of ladder play, with players split into rooms of approximately 4-5 and moving between rooms based on performance. We will be using a cumulative scoring system very similar to RILKE. After the preliminary rounds, a group of either 8 or 16 (TBD) players will advance to a single elimination bracket phase, where they will play 1v1 for up to 3 or 4 more rounds.

What will the pricing be?
The basic entry fee is $20.

Are teams allowed?
No.

When will this tournament take place?
We plan on running this tournament sometime between mid-June and early July. The tournament itself will be split into 2-3 separate days over the span of 2-3 weeks.

If you plan on playing this event, please indicate your tentative availability on this poll. All times are in Eastern Time in the United States (GMT -4)
https://www.when2meet.com/?8985983-ZjZBV
χ Smith
FHS '15
Chicago '19
gimmedatguudsuccrose
Wakka

Re: DATE + TIME POLL: Online Solo Tournament

Post by gimmedatguudsuccrose »

Two clarifications have been made to this original post. The first is to note that the superpowers and powers will be worth 30 points and 20 points respectively, and the second is that we have decided to make rooms much smaller (around 4-5 players each) to give players more opportunities to buzz on questions.
χ Smith
FHS '15
Chicago '19
jmarvin_
Wakka

Re: DATE + TIME POLL: Online Solo Tournament

Post by jmarvin_ »

Superpowers and 20 point normal powers! Made my day to read this announcement :party:
john marvin
university of chicago - joint ph.d., philosophy and philosophy of religions, 2028
university of chicago - m.a. philosophy of religions, 2021
boston college - b.a. theology, 2018