Ontario Hybrid @ Barnard, NYC [DELAYED INDEFINITELY] (OPEN)

Old college threads.
Couch's Kingbird
Rikku

Ontario Hybrid @ Barnard, NYC [DELAYED INDEFINITELY] (OPEN)

Post by Couch's Kingbird »

**UPDATE: As classes at Barnard are cancelled through 3/29 (and possibly onwards), we unfortunately will not be able to host Ontario Hybrid on 3/28. That being said, we are hoping to reschedule if the situation allows and will update as soon as the situation becomes more clear.**

I'm pleased to announce that Columbia Quiz Bowl will be hosting an OPEN mirror of the Ontario Hybrid set on [date TBD]. The tournament will be held at Barnard College (3007 Broadway, New York, NY; across the street from Columbia University).

Set:
We will be using the Ontario Hybrid Tournament, which is half-trash, half-academic. While details are currently TBD, there will be discounts available for teams who wish to submit a half-packet or packet to the set. An update will be posted as soon as details are finalized.

Eligibility:
This tournament is an open tournament, meaning anybody, regardless of affiliation or age, can form a team.

The tournament will take place at Barnard College. The opening meeting will be held in Lehman Auditorium, Altschul Hall; games will be played in Barnard Hall and Milbank Hall. There will be signs/team members to direct you around campus.

There are numerous restaurants around campus for lunch; some recommendations can be found here.

Field:
I’m soft capping the field at 18 for now until the staffer/buzzer situation becomes more clear. The goal is to expand to 24 teams if there’s enough interest and resources. (We have enough room for 24 teams, so we will definitely expand if possible).

Fee structure:
Base fee: $120/team
-$15 for each moderator and laptop. (Moderators should be able to finish a round within 30 mins; discount given at my discretion)
-$10 for each team-provided buzzer set
Minimum fee: $80

To register, please fill out the Google form here. I’ve also put together this spreadsheet to assist with team formation; the sheet has multiple columns in case you’re a shorthanded team looking for teammates.

If you have any questions or concerns, or if you would like to staff the tournament, please email us at [email protected].
Last edited by Couch's Kingbird on Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Julia Tong
Darien 2014-2018; Co-Captain 2015-2018
Barnard 2018-2022 (VP Columbia Quiz Bowl)
Member of the Connecticut Quiz Bowl Alliance: ctquizbowl.org
Couch's Kingbird
Rikku

Re: Ontario Hybrid @ Barnard, NYC 3/28/2020 (OPEN)

This post reserved for field updates.
Julia Tong
csheep
Wakka

Re: Ontario Hybrid @ Barnard, NYC 3/28/2020 (OPEN)

Post by csheep »

Aaron Cohen,James Lasker, Isaac KD and I have formed a team.

We don't know a lot of trash and inconsistently know certain pockets of academic. You can see our recent work (read: shame) at such tournaments like Fall Open at NYU and NYC Summer Open for a sense of how we expect to perform/place.

Find me here via PM, or on Discord (sheep#3058), or the email listed on the sign-up spreadsheet, if you have any interest! If you make good buzzes (or even if you don't) I'll buy you a drink (if you want).

edit: James Lasker has joined us. We are now looking for one more!
edit: Isaac KD has joined us.
Michael Z
NYU '13
Couch's Kingbird
Rikku

Re: Ontario Hybrid @ Barnard, NYC [DELAYED INDEFINITELY] (OPEN)

Hi everyone, unfortunately our room reservation for 3/28 was cancelled as in-person Barnard classes have been cancelled through 3/29 (and potentially onwards). That being said, we are hoping to reschedule if the situation allows and will update as soon as the situation becomes more clear.
Julia Tong