ACF Tournament Dates 2020-2021

Old college threads.
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

ACF Tournament Dates 2020-2021

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

Hi all,

We are thrilled to announce the dates for ACF's tournaments for the 2020-2021 competition year! Please take note that our schedule will be slightly different this coming year, because, in an exciting change, we will be producing two Fall semester tournaments instead of one. ACF Fall, head-edited by Ben Miller, will be held earlier than usual, on October 17, 2020. That date change will allow us to produce a revived ACF Winter, to be hosted a little over a month later on November 21, 2020; it will be head-edited by William Golden and Andrew Wang. ACF Winter will be edited to a two-dot difficulty on the Lifshitz scale.

To make sure as many teams as possible will be able to play Winter, we have changed ACF Fall to be packet-sub optional. ACF Winter will have the same packet submission requirements as ACF Regionals, which can be found here.

ACF Regionals will take place on January 30, 2021, and ACF Nationals will be held on April 17, 2021. Fall, Winter, and Regionals will have open editor applications, which will work the same way that they did for Fall and Regionals this year. We hope you're as excited by the introduction of Winter as we are, and we look forward to the coming season.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Zealots of Stockholm
Tidus

Re: ACF Tournament Dates 2020-2021

Post by Zealots of Stockholm »

First, I would like to say that these changes are excellent and ACF should be commended. Also, I wondered if there was a timeline for when editor applications would be released?

I mentioned this in the discord, but I figured it was worth posting here as well. Does the community at large think the schedule can support both ACF Winter and EFT at medium difficulty (two dots) in the fall? Personally, I would say yes, since EFT would still have at least a 3 weekend window (September 26, October 3, October 10) prior to ACF Fall's set date. But I realize this essentially adds a tournament to the fall schedule. I just wanted to put this out there and see what others thought.

Also it's worth noting that an EFT has not been announced for this year. If someone or a group of people is thinking about putting one together, I would be happy to contribute!
Chandler West
Staff, Emory
Vanderbilt University '22
Auburn University '20
Good Hope High School (Cullman, AL) '16
Full Member, ACF; Member, PACE
Writer/editor, ACF, PACE, IQBT
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

I may have missed it, but is there a submission schedule out yet for ACF Winter? Trying to plan Columbia's submissions for that event - thanks!
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
caroline
Rikku

Post by caroline »

ACF is planning to have Fall and Winter announcements out next week, including submission schedules. Thank you for your patience!
Caroline Mao • 毛宇晨 [they/she]
Barnard College '22, American International School of Guangzhou '18
Misconduct Representative, ACF | Misconduct Reporting Form
On writing better literature questions
Webmaster, ACF
Karan_GeoHP
Lulu

Post by Karan_GeoHP »

Will these tournaments be held virtually? If so, how?
Karan Menon
University of Southern California Quiz Bowl President(2019-present)
John P. Stevens High School Quiz Bowl President(2017-2019), Coach(2020-present)
[email protected]
caroline
Rikku

Post by caroline »

Due to the challenges of the current COVID-19 pandemic, ACF has chosen to postpone Nationals to summer 2021. We still plan to hold this event on a safer date, and will announce further details at the earliest possible opportunity. As a reminder, 2021 Regionals will not be a qualifier for Nationals, and we are currently developing an alternative plan for Nationals qualification.

We apologize to the teams affected by this and appreciate your understanding.
Webmaster, ACF
caroline
Rikku

Post by caroline »

ACF is still planning on a later Nationals at this time per the last post in this thread, and we apologize for the lack of updates thus far, as many factors remain unknown due to the COVID-19 pandemic. More information about Nationals field size, logistics, and other information will be released by April 30th.
Webmaster, ACF