SuMO VI General Announcement

Old college threads.
bradleykirksey
Wakka

SuMO VI General Announcement

Post by bradleykirksey »

Hello everyone!

This is a general announcement that we are writing SuMO VI. We’re aiming to have it finished by late June. It’ll be put together by Mickey Sizemore, Griffin Thompson, Cody Johansen, Mitch Alday, Daniel Golisch, and myself.

This tournament series is Mitch Alday’s baby. Mitch, as I understand it, was really helped along by a lot of veterans at tournaments when he was younger, and wants to foster a sort of environment where younger players, even middle schoolers, can play and be competitive, while top tier players can have a good time too. Hence the summer timing, the mixed teams, and open nature of SUmmer Mixed Open VI.

We’re sticking to a slightly closer-to-traditional distribution this year, but for the above reasons, we’re going to go with a few changes. More notable, a stronger American literature presence, and 1.5/1.5 trash.

The full distro should be

4/4 Literature (Broken down by 1/1 each of Long Fiction, Drama, Poetry, and Short Story/Other, with about 2/2 emphasis on American)
4/4 History (Broken down by 1/1 each of American, Brit/Euro, World, and Mixed/Other/Ancient)
4/4 Science (With about 3/4ths in the set being Biology, Chemistry, and Physics, with the remainder being Math, Astronomy, CS, Earth Science, and Other)
2/2 Art (With 1/1 Visual and 1/1 Music or Audio-Visual)
2/2 RMP (Divided approximately evenly with R, M, and P)
1/1 Social Sciences (4/4 in the set Psych, 3/3 Econ for now, and 7/7 Other)
1.5/1.5 Geo (Half American and half World)
1.5/1.5 Trash (Divided approximately evenly with Sports, TV, Film, Games, and Other/Mixed)
1/1 Current Events (About half American and half Not. Or, about half Politics and half Not)
And 1/1 Other Academic/Mixed

Because of the nature of the set (where we’re trying to attract top-tier players and middle school players) we may squish the rules of pyramidally a little. It’s not usual to have 30’s that are tough for good college teams and 10’s/FTPs that are good for easy HS sets, but we’re going to try to do that. Similarly, we’re hoping to have lead-ins that can cater to top-flight players and FTPs that the average HS teams would find appropriate.

We’re aiming for 12 rounds of 20/20. As said before, this is intended to be open, and we hope that mirror sites will keep our mixed team idea, with the traditional payouts (though I personally can’t see a reason to enforce that). We’re looking to have this mirrored as much as we can in late June and early July, though we’d be glad to hold it until the fall semester if a host site needs to wait til the new school year.

Thanks everyone, looking forward to this set, and I hope you are too!

Edit: I realize that my explanation for difficulty wasn't clear, so I'm going to try again. We're largely aiming for ACF Fall level difficulty, but due to the intention for the tournament, we're going to have harder lead-ins than you'd expect at Fall. And easier FTPs, as well. I hope that clarifies.
Last edited by bradleykirksey on Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bradley Kirksey
Mayor of quiz bowl at the University of Central Florida (2010-2015)
The club at Reformed Theology Seminary Orlando (2017 - 2021)
bradleykirksey
Wakka

Re: SuMO VI General Announcement

Post by bradleykirksey »

This semester turned out to be more than we reckoned for, and I think we are sliding back to 12 packets.
Bradley Kirksey
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

I'm in, whenever and wherever this is happening!
Jay Misuk
McMaster University, 2009, 2010, 2016
University of Toronto, 2011, 2017, 2022
MEd. (Educational Linguistics) MSc. (CogSciLing), Hon. BA (Linguistics), BA (History), BEd. (History, Geography, Music, Math, Soc. Sci, Law, Latin)

Tri-national competitor; tri-national neg champion.
To quote the ephemeral Jordan Palmer - "There is no shame, only points"
Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer
Rikku

Post by Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer »

Senator_Jay wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:52 pm I'm in, whenever and wherever this is happening!
Take me with you!!
Aayush Rajasekaran (he/him or she/her)
University of Waterloo, 2016
University of Waterloo, 2018
bradleykirksey
Wakka

Post by bradleykirksey »

While we're obviously very grateful for the international attention we've received, I think our writing staff have elected not to hold a Florida mirror on July 11th. We'll figure out, when it's possible, when this will be, but obviously we can't guess on what any better than you can.
Bradley Kirksey
nicole.
Rikku

Post by nicole. »

Hi, will there be an online summer mirror of this set?
Nic Pruitt (they/them)

Founder of the Maine Quiz Bowl Alliance (MEQBA)
Bates College '25
Kings College London, Winter '24 Semester
Ridgewood '21
Director of Outreach, American Quizbowl League, Prometheus Science Bowl, and Long Island Quiz Bowl Alliance
Outreach and Technology, Florida Quiz Bowl Association
bradleykirksey
Wakka

Post by bradleykirksey »

Hey Nick!

None of our writers have ever done that before, so I don't know if it ever crossed our minds honestly. I'll talk to the others, but I don't think that there's a plan for that right now.
Bradley Kirksey