2021 Chicago Open (August 21st @ Northwestern)

Old college threads.

How much does COVID-19 suck?

A lot
9%
A lot lot
10%
A lot lot lot
81%

Total votes: 116

naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

2021 Chicago Open (August 21st @ Northwestern)

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

I am honored to announce the 2021 edition of Chicago Open. The date and time for this tournament will be determined in early 2021.

TOURNAMENT PRODUCTION TEAM

I will be serving as head editor of this tournament. Ike Jose will be providing oversight. Subject editing will be handled by myself (history, music, social science, modern world/geo), Itamar Naveh-Benjamin (vis arts), Jonathen Settle (phys/other), Eric Mukherjee (bio/chem), and Brad McLain (beliefs and philosophy). Literature editing will mostly be handled by myself, with assistance and collaboration from other editors/writers and substantial contributions from freelancers. Jacob O'Rourke will be handling logistics.

PACKET SUBMISSION AND FEES

The base fee for this tournament will be $250 as with last year's event. There will be no late submission fees, as packet submission is not mandatory. We'd love to receive submissions from teams, though, and you can find information on packet submission here.

Please put your team name and members here! We will have a more official registration process outlined when future tournament information is made available.

The original submission schedule will be maintained here to give people an idea of what topics the final tournament will include:

Literature (4/4)
  • 1/1 Long Fiction (novels)
  • 1/1 Miscellaneous, with an emphasis on having more nonfiction and additional Long Fiction
  • 1/1 Poetry (epic poetry goes here)
  • 1 Drama
  • 1 Short Fiction
History (4/4)
  • 1/1 US History
  • 1/1 Post-500 CE European History (including Britain and Ireland)
  • 1/1 Post-500 CE "World History" (non-US, non-Europe, excluding Canada, Australia, New Zealand)
  • 1 /1 Other History (Commonwealth, Archaeology, Historiography, and inter-regional questions)
Science (4/4)
  • 1/1 Biology
  • 1/1 Physics + Astronomy
  • 1/1 Chemistry + Earth Science
  • 1 Applied Science (including topics such as engineering and data science)
  • 1 Math and Computer Science
Arts (3/3)
  • 1/1 Classical + Opera (Either two classical music or one classical music and one opera; non-western "classical" traditions go here)
  • 1/1 Painting + Sculpture (Either two painting or one painting and one sculpture)
  • 1/1 Other Arts (Anything not covered above. Do not write two of the same sort of other arts)
Beliefs (2/1) or (1/2)
  • 1 Non-Abrahamic Legends (traditional quizbowl "mythology" focused on stories - don't write a purely worship-focused tossup here)
  • 1 Theology and Practice (scripture goes here, unless it's narrative-oriented)
  • 1 Other or Misc (questions focused on Biblical or Qur'anic narratives go here, as well as mixed questions)
"Thought" (2/2)
  • 1/1 Philosophy + “Soft Thought” (ala Nats 2018)
  • 1/1 Social Science
Other (2/1) or (1/2)
  • 1 Geography (including human geography)
  • 1 Modern World (interesting current events and/or topics that are important to the current state of human affairs)
  • 1 Other Academic (either interesting mixed academic or topics that don't fit in well above)
SET PHILOSOPHY

Tossups will be split roughly 40/60 between more challenging answerlines and ones that would be well-converted at ACF Regionals, respectively. Please note, though, that this does not mean that the "conceit" of the easier answers will necessarily be similar to those found at ACF Fall - we firmly believe that Chicago Open is the best place to push the boundaries of the academic canon. To keep difficulty in line, this set will aim to roughly replicate the bonus difficulty of the 2014, 2015, and 2019 editions of Chicago Open. In addition, there will be greater attempts to smooth out both tossup and bonus difficulty within and across categories more than previous COs, to maintain a more coherent set "feel" and player experience.

The distribution outlined above is highly specific in order to ensure that a wide range of subject matter is covered. Nonetheless, we're choosing not to experiment too much - a little less religion/myth, a little more Geo/MW/OAc, and some dedicated space for applied math, data science, and engineering questions. We mean to incorporate a lot of the best trends in modern writing and highlight topics that people have enjoyed hearing in many successful recent hard tournaments without sacrificing much.

We look forward to creating an awesome tournament experience for you all!
Last edited by naan/steak-holding toll on Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:55 pm, edited 34 times in total.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Re: 2020 Chicago Open (Please Vote for Date in Poll)

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

I don't think any of us would personally have a problem making it to the tournament that weekend, but the CO Trash team would prefer to avoid the weekend of August 1, since that conflicts with Trivia Nationals and could thus negatively impact our attendance. Luckily it looks like the July dates are winning anyway!
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

I've added a team formation spreadsheet with columns for staff and free agents. If you have formed a team please list it ASAP - I would rather existing teams not be shadowy about it.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Don't have a strong date preference but I do have a strong preference for Northwestern over Chicago.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

We're narrowing the final date options to the two July dates. If you haven't voted yet, please vote in the poll!
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

I voted for all the dates initially since I'm available for them all, but would now like to indicate my preference for the 18th.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Auks Ran Ova wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:22 pm I voted for all the dates initially since I'm available for them all, but would now like to indicate my preference for the 18th.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Do these dates work for Northwestern and/or U Chicago?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

Due to winning the vote, July 18th is going to be the date for Chicago Open 2020. As for the location, vote for that in this poll! We'll keep the poll open for 2 weeks-ish, so expect a decision around the 21st.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Re: 2020 Chicago Open (July 18th)

The editing team has decided, based on the poll results so far, that we're going to cut the voting short and announce that CO will take place at Northwestern.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Packet submission deadlines have been added to the original post, as well as a contact email
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Ike Jose is now co-head editing this tournament with me. The vision of the tournament will continue to be the same as outlined in the original post, including difficulty and "feel" of the tournament, and we are greatly looking forward to receiving your submissions!
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Made a few clarifications to the OP, specifically nothing that every packet will have exactly one question (tossup or bonus) on each of Geography, "Modern World," and Other Academic. I very much look forward to continuing the trends of recent tournaments which have had excellent questions in all of these areas.

Also, I should note that July 17th is my birthday, so this tournament carries an extra layer of meaning for me - celebrating my birthday via quizbowl! If you'd like to give me a present, consider doing so by submitting a packet early with lots of creative, well-controlled questions :grin:
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

In light of the recent coronavirus epidemic, we are monitoring the situation and hope to make a definitive determination as to whether the date and/or location of this tournament needs to be moved within the next month. However, we will make all efforts necessary to ensure that Chicago Open is run this summer within the realm of feasibility.

To maintain maximum flexibility, we plan to keep the current submission schedule in place and greatly appreciate your cooperation.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

A few announcements to make:

1. This tournament is going to happen, in-person, on either the proposed original date or a delayed date.
2. We will make a decision on whether to reschedule this tournament by 11:59 PM on May 9th at the absolute latest, as additional information about the COVID-19 situation continues to come in and we get a better understanding of the summer situation.
3. We will be shifting to a packet submission optional model. It will be along the lines of WAO, in terms of half-packet and full-packet options with negotiable distributions. Discounts, however, will be much higher. Submission will be optional, but encouraged, for all teams.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Will the packet submission deadlines be tweaked? I only ask because I believe the first deadline is right at the beginning of May.

I don't necessarily think they need to be, as you can still turn in the packet, but I'm just curious.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Here Comes Rusev Day
Lulu

Post by Here Comes Rusev Day »

naan/steak-holding toll wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:49 pm A few announcements to make:

1. This tournament is going to happen, in-person, on either the proposed original date or a delayed date.
2. We will make a decision on whether to reschedule this tournament by 11:59 PM on May 9th at the absolute latest, as additional information about the COVID-19 situation continues to come in and we get a better understanding of the summer situation.
3. We will be shifting to a packet submission optional model. It will be along the lines of WAO, in terms of half-packet and full-packet options with negotiable distributions. Discounts, however, will be much higher. Submission will be optional, but encouraged, for all teams.
I want to commend the editors for taking this approach in trying to have it on the original date, and obviously a delay to a later date if need be.
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School '09
George Mason University '13
University of Central Florida '15
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

The first submission deadline will be after the original date - probably late May.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Re: 2020 Chicago Open (POSTPONED)

This tournament has been postponed. A number of changes have been made to the original post in accordance - please re-read it for updates.

We are actively considering options for when to re-host this tournament, from a fall or winter tournament ("QuizMas") to a full postponement to summer 2021. We will make an update announcement of some variety no later than July 19th.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Rikku
Location: a vibrant metropolis, the equal of Paris or New York

Post by 1.82 »

naan/steak-holding toll wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:14 pm This tournament has been postponed. A number of changes have been made to the original post in accordance - please re-read it for updates.

We are actively considering options for when to re-host this tournament, from a fall or winter tournament ("QuizMas") to a full postponement to summer 2021. We will make an update announcement of some variety no later than July 19th.
If there were a winter tournament I would strongly prefer it be in a warmer location than Chicago.
Naveed Chowdhury
Maryland '16
Georgia Tech '17
Here Comes Rusev Day
Lulu

1.82 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:37 pm
naan/steak-holding toll wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:14 pm This tournament has been postponed. A number of changes have been made to the original post in accordance - please re-read it for updates.

If there were a winter tournament I would strongly prefer it be in a warmer location than Chicago.
I was actually curious about this as well. Not that it would matter to me where the tournament is going to be held, but is changing locations something that is being considered If this tournament were held in the fall or winter?
Zach Foster
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

With CO postponed, any plans to reschedule Age of Empires or that social science tournament?
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Mike Bentley wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 6:29 pm With CO postponed, any plans to reschedule Age of Empires or that social science tournament?
Unfortunately not - I'm not going to have the time this summer to work on these.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Re: 2021 Chicago Open

In light of the recent cancellation of ACF Nationals, this tournament is also postponed until the summer of 2021. Due to the fluid nature of the COVID situation, to avoid any potential issues regarding travel conflicts or lock people into teams prematurely, we have decided there will be no packet submissions for this tournament. We have further opted against attempting to schedule during the fall, winter, and spring due to the large number of tournaments already scheduled to be held during this time.

If you have already written questions for your packet, reach out to us and we will work with you - we anticipate that there will be significant demand for online tournaments, and there may be an opportunity to use these questions towards such a purpose and compensate you for them.

EDIT: Clarifications.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Ike Jose has officially resigned from this tournament's editing team. He will still be occasionally consulting and advising us. Some adjustments have been made to the original post.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Jack Mehr has joined this tournament's writing staff to contribute questions. We're very glad to have his help!

The set has continued to progress and is more than 1/4 complete. We may reconsider our policy on submissions at a later date, but as for now we're continuing to plan on a housewritten CO to allow for greater flexibility and long-term planning of the tournament. I recognize that submissions are a crucial part of CO bringing a very wide range of topics to the audience - please note that the primary reason for this decision is out of logistic concerns. But for now, it's just easier for us to plan out a full distribution ahead of time.

EDIT: Also updated the OP to reflect our distribution.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Ryan Humphrey has resigned from the editing team. We are looking to recruit a biology and chemistry editor and/or who can commit to writing a decent number of questions. Feel free to contact me via DM or email if you're interested!

EDIT: Eric Mukherjee has joined in his place.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

The Chicago Open editing team has been thrilled to hear that the community is interested in contributing questions to our tournament. As a consequence, we will be abandoning the plan to have no packet submission. We will instead have submission that:
  • Best accommodates our tournament planning thus far (we've written over 8 packets worth of questions)
  • Encourages the highest quality submissions
Therefore, we are asking teams that are interested in submitting to send us 10/10 of questions, according to the following distribution:
  • At least 2/2 science (preferably not physics as we have a lot of that)
  • No more than 2/2 in any of: Arts, RMP, SS/Other, History, Literature
(EDIT: please don't send us 4/4 bio, or 2/2 music, or something like that)

All submissions should be sent to my email (william dot t dot alston at gmail dot com) by the morning of June 14th. Feel free to email me if you need an extension. Discounts are as follows:
  • -$25 for a submission
  • -$75 for a submission where most of the questions are solid, well-written, reasonably difficulty-appropriate ideas
  • -$100 for a submission which meets the above criteria and also has at least three extremely hard extremely good question ideas, as determined by the editors
Unfortunately, we may not be able to use all questions, but - with writers' permission - we will collect all unused submissions into a single packet to be read later, ideally at an afterparty :)

Good luck writing, everyone!
Last edited by naan/steak-holding toll on Mon May 31, 2021 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Forgot to mention, but you can just send all submissions to my email: william [dot] t [dot] alston [at] gmail [dot] com
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

After some community feedback, we've adjusted submissions. We'll take an unlimited number of them by the morning of June 1st. We've also increased the discount for a "solid" packet and clarified the criteria for an "excellent" packet.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

We have confirmed that we will be able to host this tournament at Northwestern in August.

If this has changed your decision on whether or not to work on a packet, or you need a slight extension, please feel free to reach out to me. Otherwise, we look forward to receiving your fine submissions on June 1st!
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Hi all,

We're extending the packet submission deadline by a little less than two weeks, to the morning of June 14th, though earlier submissions are still appreciated. Please send your packets to my email address - william [dot] t [dot] alston [at] gmail [dot] com and feel free to email if your team needs an extension.

We've also updated the original post to include more accurate information.

Best,

Will A.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Re: 2021 Chicago Open (August 21st @ Northwestern)

Hi folks,

We need teams to fill out this registration form for Chicago Open in order to help us get ahead on the logistics of running the event. If each team could fill that out, that would help us out with planning the logistics of the event greatly, not the least of which is the information Northwestern needs from us to allow us on campus.

Thanks everybody!
Jacob O'Rourke

1992 in spaceflight
Auron

There's a poll for anyone who's attending CO weekend to vote on Side Events that you want to play here.
Jacob O'Rourke

1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Hello everyone,

If any of you would be interested in staffing Chicago Open, please fill out this form. Thanks, and looking forward to seeing you all there!
Jacob O'Rourke

1992 in spaceflight
Auron

We're going to cap the field at 20 teams, due to the available rooms we have and the packet constraints. If you haven't filled out the registration form yet, please fill it out soon to guarantee a spot in the field.
Jacob O'Rourke

naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Thanks to everyone who has submitted packets! We're speaking individually with teams who may need an extension.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Tejas
Rikku

Post by Tejas »

Can we get a field update here?
Tejas Raje
Cornell '14
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Megachile dupla wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:49 pm Can we get a field update here?
Here it is. These are organized by team members, since there are 5 teams who are having names assigned by the editors.

(18/20)

-Michael Kearney, Eric Wolfsberg, Matt Lafer
-Mike Bentley, Kurtis Droge, James Lasker, Jerry Vinokurov
-Michael Coates, Eric Chen, Rohin Devanathan, NourEddine Hijazi
-Natan Holtzman, JinAh Kim, Vishwa Shanmugam, Ryan Rosenberg
-Andrew Wang, Jordan Brownstein, Matt Bollinger, Ophir Lifshitz
-Stephen Eltinge, Neil Gurram, Anderson Wang
-Gilbert Hsyu. Kevin Wang, Auroni Gupta
-John Lawrence, Alston Boyd, Sam Winikow, Kai Smith
-Charles Hang, Athena Kern, Jeremy Cummings, Chinmay Kansara
-Tejas Raje, Rob Carson, Billy Busse, Andrew Hart
-Taylor Harvey, Matt Weiner, Rahul Keyal, Aseem Keyal
-Iain Carpenter, Mitch McCullar, Alex Fregeau, Halle Friedman
-Justin Hawkins, Alex Akridge, Wesley Mathews, Dan Puma
-Stephen Liu, Rafael Krichevsky
-Daniel Hothem, Tracy Mirkin, Chris Borglum, John Marvin
-Chandler West, Conor Thompson, Douglas Simons, Geoffrey Wu
-Weijia Cheng, Nick Jensen, Isaac Kirk-Davidoff, Connor Mayers
-Dylan Minarik, Naveed Chowdhury, Carsten Gehring, Sam Rombro

Last updated: 08/20/2021
Last edited by 1992 in spaceflight on Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:47 pm, edited 23 times in total.
Jacob O'Rourke

Here Comes Rusev Day
Lulu

Apologies if this is announced somewhere and I missed it, but will there be something in place like a proof of vaccination before this tournament or something of the like? I know Illinois is in Phase 5 and basically fully reopened but understand Northwestern may have its own set of rules on this. Thanks
Zach Foster
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Here Comes Rusev Day wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:34 pm Apologies if this is announced somewhere and I missed it, but will there be something in place like a proof of vaccination before this tournament or something of the like? I know Illinois is in Phase 5 and basically fully reopened but understand Northwestern may have its own set of rules on this. Thanks
We haven't fully decided how we're going to handle this, but we were discussing this earlier today. We'll announce details once we have them.
Jacob O'Rourke

thebluehawk1
Lulu

Post by thebluehawk1 »

I filled out our registration before we had our fourth person. We now do have our fourth, how do I add him to the roster?
Justin Hawkins
John Carroll HS '15
University of Maryland '19
Indiana University '24 (at best)
Here Comes Rusev Day
Lulu

1992 in spaceflight wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:32 pm
Here Comes Rusev Day wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:34 pm Apologies if this is announced somewhere and I missed it, but will there be something in place like a proof of vaccination before this tournament or something of the like? I know Illinois is in Phase 5 and basically fully reopened but understand Northwestern may have its own set of rules on this. Thanks
We haven't fully decided how we're going to handle this, but we were discussing this earlier today. We'll announce details once we have them.
Thank you for letting me know.
Zach Foster
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

thebluehawk1 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:15 pm I filled out our registration before we had our fourth person. We now do have our fourth, how do I add him to the roster?
PM me and I'll fix it for ya
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

1992 in spaceflight wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:47 pm Hello everyone,

If any of you would be interested in staffing Chicago Open, please fill out this form. Thanks, and looking forward to seeing you all there!
We're still seeking staffers for this tournament. If you're interested in staffing, please fill out the form that's in my quoted post above. Staffers will also be paid $40 and be provided with lunch.
Jacob O'Rourke

1992 in spaceflight
Auron

This is the likely schedule for the order of side events on Sunday.

1. Scattergories
2. MUSES II
3. JORDU
Jacob O'Rourke

Zealots of Stockholm
Tidus

Post by Zealots of Stockholm »

The team of Conor Thompson, Doug Graebner, and I are seeking a fourth, ideally one who knows some science. We intend to have a good time and maybe win some games along the way.
Chandler West
Staff, Emory
Vanderbilt University '22
Auburn University '20
Good Hope High School (Cullman, AL) '16
Full Member, ACF; Member, PACE
Writer/editor, ACF, PACE, IQBT
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

1992 in spaceflight wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:32 pm
We have a few COVID-related policies to announce.

We're adopting a lot of the policies that ACF has adopted for Nationals for COVID. Specifically, if you have not been vaccinated yet, please wear a mask. We'd also like for everyone to have proof of their vaccination status (a photo of your vaccination card would be sufficient for our purposes). Please send the photos to me at my email (jacob.orourke.7 at gmail.com) before CO.

The only way we are going to require everyone to wear a mask is if either Northwestern or the city of Evanston institutes a mask mandate.
Jacob O'Rourke

1992 in spaceflight
Auron

We also have an open spot in the field.
Jacob O'Rourke

Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Post by Aaron's Rod »

1992 in spaceflight wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:42 am We're adopting a lot of the policies that ACF has adopted for Nationals for COVID. Specifically, if you have not been vaccinated yet, please wear a mask. We'd also like for everyone to have proof of their vaccination status (a photo of your vaccination card would be sufficient for our purposes). Please send the photos to me at my email (jacob.orourke.7 at gmail.com) before CO.

The only way we are going to require everyone to wear a mask is if either Northwestern or the city of Evanston institutes a mask mandate.
Is there any reason why you're not requiring players/staff to be vaccinated for the tournament?
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto