MUSES Online 8/18

Old college threads.

For the online MUSES Mirror, which days can you play?

August 17th
11%
August 18th
56%
Both August 17th and August 18th
22%
Neither of these days works for me
11%

Total votes: 9

Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

MUSES Online 8/18

Post by Father of the Ragdoll »

This is the announcement of the online mirror of MUSES. This will take place on August 18th, 2019 and will be run by Iain Carpenter. We understand that we did not run a poll for this date and it may not be ideal, however, there are very few, if any, other dates that will work for us. If this date poses a significant burden to players we will evaluate the possibility of running this on a different day with a possibly reduced field size. If you have a preference for this or will be significantly negatively impacted by this date please let us know below.

Teams can sign up here.

We will be charging $10 per participant for this.

Hope to "see" you there!
Last edited by Father of the Ragdoll on Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
The University of Texas at Austin - Ph.D. Human Development and Family Sciences, 202X; M.S. Social Work, 2021
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign - B.S. Psychology, 2019
Rockford Auburn High School - 2015
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Re: MUSES Online 8/17

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

I'd happily play on someone's team for this, but my availability may be spotty and I might randomly dip in the middle of games. I know some random myth though!
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
Carlos Be
Wakka

Post by Carlos Be »

This is the same day that was selected via poll for the RULFO online mirror. Seeing as there is probably a good amount of people who want to play both sets, I will ask MUSES to find a different date for their online mirror.
Justine French
she/her
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

justinfrench1728 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:00 pm This is the same day that was selected via poll for the RULFO online mirror. Seeing as there is probably a good amount of people who want to play both sets, I will ask MUSES to find a different date for their online mirror.
That's my bad, after this weekend I will contact the people who already signed up to see if they would reschedule to a different day or work around the the RULFO online mirror.
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
The University of Texas at Austin - Ph.D. Human Development and Family Sciences, 202X; M.S. Social Work, 2021
Iain.Carpenter
Lulu

Post by Iain.Carpenter »

Additionally, I was told that MUSES only ran 5 packets for the NYSO folks. Would those people like a discord mirror run to hear the rest of the packets?
Iain Carpenter
Mahomet-Seymour High School (2013-2017)
UIUC (2017-2021)
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

Due to a combination of moving, CO stuff, and family emergencies, I simply have not had the time to reach out to the people who have signed up as I said I would. I apologize for this.

In lieu of that, I have now created a poll for people to fill out to help guage when to run the miriror. If you are interested/have already signed up please fill this out.
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

Iain.Carpenter wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:41 pm Additionally, I was told that MUSES only ran 5 packets for the NYSO folks. Would those people like a discord mirror run to hear the rest of the packets?
We've talked to a few people about this and the consensus seems to be a solid yes! We just need to work out the details on that, which have been a bit slow due to the aforementioned issues from my previous post.
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

It appears that the best date for people is August 18th, as such we will be moving the date to then. In the next day or so look for more specific logistics.
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Re: MUSES Online 8/18

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Is it safe to assume that this event will start in the early to mid-afternoon on Sunday, to avoid conflicts with Age of Empires?
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:59 am Is it safe to assume that this event will start in the early to mid-afternoon on Sunday, to avoid conflicts with Age of Empires?
Yes it is, we will start at 2 pm. Sorry for not posting this sooner, had to get a new laptop and updating this slipped my mind.

Free agents should form teams now: by the end of tomorrow we will assign any remaining free agents to teams.
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
Iain.Carpenter
Lulu

Post by Iain.Carpenter »

Does the 18th work for the NYSO people who would like to finish MUSES? If so, I propose we run a parallel event for the NYSO folks and the people who have not played the set. Depending on the number of people from NYSO who want to finish MUSES, we could either do a shootout or a full tournament.
Iain Carpenter
Mahomet-Seymour High School (2013-2017)
UIUC (2017-2021)
Antrobus63
Wakka

Post by Antrobus63 »

2nd and last edit. Disregard previous post. We're good for 2 pm.
Peter Schmidt
Columbia '84, Yale '88
Coach, Moravian Academy History Bowl 2020-23
Lehigh Valley Academy 2016-18
Pennsylvania NASAT '15, ‘18, ‘22, '23
Owner and Teacher, Prepare Test Preparation
Carlos Be
Wakka

Post by Carlos Be »

Illinois Admin wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:17 pm
Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:59 am Is it safe to assume that this event will start in the early to mid-afternoon on Sunday, to avoid conflicts with Age of Empires?
Yes it is, we will start at 2 pm. Sorry for not posting this sooner, had to get a new laptop and updating this slipped my mind.

Free agents should form teams now: by the end of tomorrow we will assign any remaining free agents to teams.
What time zone?
Justine French
she/her
Abdon Ubidia
Wakka

Post by Abdon Ubidia »

Would it be at all possible to run this event as tossups only?
Anson Berns
Montgomery Blair '19
Brown '23
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

Sorry for not making this clear, 2 pm CST. If there is a desire to run this as tossup only we will accomidate it.
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

The schedule and discord server link are now in the signup sheet. Teams have also been assigned with generic placeholder names.
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

Live stats available here
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
Sygyt/Kargyraa
Lulu

Post by Sygyt/Kargyraa »

Not sure if a last-7-pack[age]s mirror for NYSO attendees happened today, but if not, it might be relevant that Toronto's mirror only got through 7 pack[age]s. Everything we heard was DELIGHTFUL (thank you so much to the writers!), so I suspect I'm not the only one from our site who would be interested in hearing the rest.

Thanks!
Zhenglin Liu
University of Toronto BASc MechEng 1T9+PEY, Engineering Science dropout
University of Cambridge (Clare College) MPhil Environmental Policy 2T2
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

This was easily some of the most fun I've had playing quizbowl in a while. There are definitely a good number of rough patches in the set, but whatever, so much delightful content.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Yeah this tournament was a lot more fun than the distribution would have led me to expect. There's also a ton of content here--with 12 packets and bonuses it's pretty much a full tournament.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008