NASAT Mirror at Valencia: August 10, 2019

Old college threads.
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

NASAT Mirror at Valencia: August 10, 2019

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Howdy! I'll be hosting a NASAT mirror at Valencia's West Campus on Saturday, August 10. This will be an open tournament, so all are welcome. I reckon I'll charge $50/team (i.e., $10 more than the mirror fee) to defray the cost of drinks and snacks.

We're definitely playing The Unanswered Question on Friday night (Aug. 9), probably starting around 6:30, dependent on field size (which will also determine whether we run it with a small number of teams or as a big ol' shootout).

Then on Saturday after NASAT we'll play MIXTAPE. It will probably start around 6ish, and as above, we'll see whether we run small teams or just a solo shootout when I see how many folks are playing.

Reply here or e-mail me at cborglum at valenciacollege.edu to register. C'mon down!
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Re: NASAT Mirror at Valencia: August 10, 2019

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

At least one team of three has already requested a free agent (preferably with fine arts knowledge) for NASAT. If you're planning on coming and don't have a team, or have a team of fewer than four, post here. I'll also keep a running list of folks I hear from outside of the fora.

Free Agents

Free Agents Sought
Last edited by ValenciaQBowl on Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chris Borglum
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Field Updates:

NASAT
Jonathen Settle/Chris Borglum/Jason Zappulla/Sean Platzer
Chipola (3)
Will Grossman/Khanh Nguyen/Henry Hill/ Kayla Kahlor
Jesse Gingold/Zach Foster/David Espinal/Daniel Golisch
Tracy Mirkin/Zach Knecht/Alex Shaw/Leo (No King, No) Law
Anthony Delgado/Shawn Jarrard/Victor Fan/Tori Thacker
Ian Mackenzie/Bradley Kirksey/Cody Johansen/Mickey Sizemore
James Meier/Asha Bruning/Sergio Caballero/?
Gateway
South Florida
Billy Beyer/Seth Kendall/Brian Clouse/?

The Unanswered Question
Borglum
Grossman
Anthony Delgado
Kayla Kalhor
Tracy Mirkin
Shawn Jarrard
James Meier
Jesse Gingold
Stan Young +6 Chipola players

MIXTAPE
Borglum
Kendall
Grossman
Kalhor
Delgado
Thacker
CJ Brown
Damion Hammock
Guens Delius
Chris Borglum
VSCOelasticity
Rikku

Post by VSCOelasticity »

Thanks for hosting this! As always, it was a great start to the quizbowl year in Florida.

However, I'm mostly posting to let you know that the stats link on the db is messed up.
Eleanor
they/she
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Yeah, I cleared those files and re-uploaded and it still isn't working. I guess I'll try deleting the whole tournament entry and then re-trying, but I'm open to ideas.

But I reckon I should announce that a team of Tracy Mirkin, Alex Shaw, Leo Law, and Zach Knecht went undefeated to win the Valencia NASAT Mirror, with a team of Billy Beyer, Seth Kendall, and Brian Clouse finishing second, and then me, Jonathen Settle, Jason Zappulo, and Sean Platzer finishing third.

I won the shootout style iteration of The Unanswered Question with 350 points accumulated in rounds 3-8 (after two seeding rounds) with Tracy Mirkin getting second with 320. Unfortunately, I only have the scores from rounds 5-8, which I kept, as our dedicated scorekeeper from rounds 3-4 moved to another room, and I can't find his two sheets, so I can only break down powers, tens, and negs for the last four rounds. The important thing I want to brag about as loudly as possible is that I beat Tracy, something that I doubt I'll be able to say regarding any tournament for the near future if his steady and strong improvement continues.

We messed around on MIXTAPE Saturday night but without any clear room structure and lots of people switching rooms between rounds.

As always, a fine time was had by all!
Chris Borglum
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Chris Borglum