Penn Bowl at Duke (October 29th, 2016)

Old college threads.
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Penn Bowl at Duke (October 29th, 2016)

Post by Bensonfan23 »

Duke University’s Quiz Bowl team is excited to announce that it will be hosting a Penn Bowl mirror on October 29, 2016.

Location and Time:
This tournament will be held in the Social Sciences Building on Duke University’s West Campus. The opening meeting will be at 8:30 and rounds will start as close to 9am as possible. See “Parking Information” below for parking recommendations.

Field Size:
This tournament’s field will have an initial cap of 12 teams. Due to the late announcement and other mirrors, this site is expected to be somewhat small. If the cap is met though, I will keep a waitlist in case expanding is a possibility.

Eligibility:
This tournament is open to all college and high school teams that are interested. Open teams are not permitted.

Cost:
The base cost of this tournament will be $120 per team.

Discounts:
Buzzer systems: $-5 per buzzer system
Qualified Moderator with laptop: -$15 with no limit (but must be approved).
Travel: -$10 per 150 miles travelled 1 way (your school to Duke, as per Google Maps). This is a per school discount, not per team.
Minimum Total Cost: $50 per team.
- If we deem your moderator is not capable or you bring a buzzer system that isn’t working properly (at least 4 buzzers on each side) we reserve the right to remove those respective discounts.

Payment:

Please make checks out to “Duke University”, and bring checks with you the morning of the tournament.

Registration & my Contact Information:
To register, please contact me at the email below. Please include: (1) your expected number of teams, (2) the discounts you expect to claim, and (3) the names of your moderators if you’re bringing any.
My email: [email protected]

Parking Information:
I recommend parking in “Parking Garage I” by the Hospital/Student medical center. This lot is cheap and near the building we’ll be using. Visitor lots near West Campus are also present in front of the Bryan Center, when entering from Science Drive, and near the Blue Zone. Here is a link to Duke’s parking website for a more detailed description: https://parking.duke.edu/parking/visitor/index.php
GPS coordinates for parking will be added before the final logistical email will be sent out.

Lunch/Food Options:
I advise teams to stay on campus for lunch. Multiple restaurant can be found in the Bryan Center and in West Union near the tournament building. Food in West Union, in particular, is high quality, fast, and rather cheap, so teams should seriously consider going there. Maps and a list of restaurant options will be provided at check-in the morning of the tournament.

Current Field:
Duke/House: At least 2
Last edited by Bensonfan23 on Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan Humphrey
UT Austin (Cell & Developmental PhD Program, 2018-?)
Duke University (Biology and History, Class of 2018)
George Washington High School (Charleston, WV, Class of 2014)
Former PACE Member (2017-2019)
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Re: Penn Bowl at Duke (October 29th, 2016)

Post by Bensonfan23 »

This tournament has been cancelled due to conflicts and a general lack of interest from teams in the area. I apologize if this inconveniences anybody.
Ryan Humphrey
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Re: Penn Bowl at Duke (October 29th, 2016)

Post by Bensonfan23 »

This tournament didn't end up happening as a true tournament, but our A and B teams still had a blast playing against each other on this set today. Duke A played against Duke B for the first 8 packets, and then several other rounds were played as mixed teams to keep things interesting. Stats for those first 8 rounds can be seen here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... e_v._duke/
Ryan Humphrey