EFT at Duke (October 8, 2016)

Old college threads.
Bensonfan23
Wakka

EFT at Duke (October 8, 2016)

Post by Bensonfan23 »

Duke University’s Quiz Bowl team is excited to announce that it will be hosting a mirror of the 2016 Early Fall Tournament (2016 EFT) set on October 8, 2016. I will be the tournament director for this tournament.

Location and Time:
This tournament will be held in the Social Sciences Building on Duke University’s West Campus in Durham, North Carolina. The opening meeting will be at 8:30 and rounds will start as close to 9am as possible. See “Parking Information” below for parking recommendations.

Field Size:
This tournament’s field will have a field cap of 24 teams. This has been increased from 20, and will no longer increase. If this cap is met, I will keep a waitlist.

Eligibility:
This tournament is open to all college and high school teams that are interested. Open teams will be allowed in the field only at my own discretion.

Cost:
The cost of this tournament will be $120 per team.

Discounts:
Buzzer systems: $-10 per buzzer system
Qualified Moderator with laptop: -$15 with no limit.
Travel: -$10 per 150 miles travelled 1 way (your school to Duke, as per Google Maps).
Minimum Total Cost: $50 per team.
- If we deem your moderator is not capable or you bring a buzzer system that isn’t working properly (at least 4 buzzers on each side) we reserve the right to remove those respective discounts.

Payment:
Please make checks out to “Duke University”, and bring checks with you the morning of the tournament.

Registration & my Contact Information:
To register, please contact me at the email below. Please include: (1) your expected number of teams, (2) the discounts you expect to claim, and (3) the names of the moderators you're bringing, if you’re bringing any.
My email: [email protected]

Parking Information:
I recommend parking in “Parking Garage I” by the Hospital/Student medical center. This lot is cheap and near the building we’ll be using. Visitor lots near West Campus are also present in front of the Bryan Center, when entering from Science Drive, and near the Blue Zone. Here is a link to Duke’s parking website for a more detailed description: https://parking.duke.edu/parking/visitor/index.php
GPS coordinates for parking will be added before the final logistical email will be sent out.

Lunch/Food Options:
I advise teams to stay on campus for lunch. Multiple restaurant can be found in the Bryan Center and in West Union near the tournament building. Food in West Union, in particular, is high quality, fast, and rather cheap, so teams should seriously consider going there. Maps and a list of restaurant options will be provided at check-in the morning of the tournament.

Questions:
If anyone has any questions about this tournament, feel free to either post them here or email them to me, and I will respond as soon as possible.

We look forward to seeing everyone in Durham on the 8th!
Last edited by Bensonfan23 on Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ryan Humphrey
UT Austin (Cell & Developmental PhD Program, 2018-?)
Duke University (Biology and History, Class of 2018)
George Washington High School (Charleston, WV, Class of 2014)
Former PACE Member (2017-2019)

Bensonfan23
Wakka

Re: EFT at Duke (October 8, 2016)

Post by Bensonfan23 »

Current Field (Teams/Buzzers/Moderator(s)):

Duke (House Teams): 1/0/0
Virginia Tech: 4/2/0
Georgia: 3/1/0
Liberty: 2/2/0
Wake Forest: 2/1/1
Collins Hill (High School): 1/1/0
South Carolina: 2/2/2
Virginia: 4/6/0
Clemson: 1/1/0
VCU: 1/6/1
Total Teams: 21/24

Updated 10/1/16.
Last edited by Bensonfan23 on Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:41 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Ryan Humphrey

Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

A few quick updates about this tournament. First, I got permission to expand our field cap to 24 team, and this is now a hard cap. Also, our field is now over half-full, so get your registrations in if you're interested!
Ryan Humphrey

Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

I'm closing the field for this tournament at the 21 teams listed above. Team contacts, I will send out a logistics email either late tonight or early tomorrow morning. We're looking forward to seeing everyone in Durham this weekend!
Ryan Humphrey

Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

This tournament happened today! Despite there being a hurricane, this tournament still had a 21 team field, and I would say went very well. UVA-A won this tournament outright going 10-0. Georgia A and Duke's house team both finished 8-2. The other teams in the top bracket were UVA-B, Clemson, and Virginia Tech-A. Top scorers after the prelims were Eric Xu (UVA-A), Jason Fern (UGA-A), Palmer Smith (Clemson), Jessica Chen (Duke), and Sarita Hough (VT-B).

Thanks to all the teams that attended this, we hope you all enjoyed our tournament and hope to see you again at our next tournament! Also, I want to say thanks to everyone who helped staff this tournament: John Stathis, Gabe Guedes, Roxanne Baker, Josh Jacobs, Nik Bramblett, Eric Douglass, Bryn Douglass, Robert Whaples, Seon Kang, Rick Laoprasert, Michelle Wang, and everyone else who helped out!

Teams that played this site are also encouraged to join the private discussion forum for this set, where the more detailed stats can be found.
Full stats will also be posted on here tomorrow morning.
Ryan Humphrey

Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

Complete stats for this tournament can be found here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/3807/

Sorry for the brief delay with these!
Ryan Humphrey