Announcing the Clark Smith + Friends Side Event Series!

Old college threads.
csa2125
Lulu

Announcing the Clark Smith + Friends Side Event Series!

Post by csa2125 »

Which of the following questions sets and packets which I am (soon!) writing would you be interested in playing, collaborating on, playtesting, proofreading, or reading, etc.?

[Provisional Titles and Descriptions] are listed in brackets, while parentheses are used (when further detail is needed, as when the set’s title is not self-explanatory):

Reasonable Answerlines on Global Arts and Song (releasing December of this year!)
PALOS (European folk traditions of music and art)
[Science History Monstrosity]
[Video Games of Academic Interest]
William Aston Memorial (hard tournament themed around Japan)
Hildegard von Blingin' (pre-Baroque Western art music and interpretation(s))
[Music Genre Series] (blues, American folk, country, early rock and roll/R+B, Gospel, et al.)
[Set drawing from a "one question every X" series on composers, musicians, performers, venues, musical works, and music theory and history, et al.]
[Set drawing from a jazz "one question every musician, album, standard, etc." series]
BLOCKBUSTER [on movies with popular appeal, many of which are studied academically, and film-related culture]
[Space geography set]
[Human geography set]
[Ecology, Ethology, and Zoology set a la Animal Kingdom with bonus Botany]
[National Recording Registry-derived set]
[Law and legal theory set]
[SWORD] (Bible set drawing on my narrow definition of "clues from the Bible"; i.e. no textual criticism and no secondary sources)
Actes and Monuments (from Baptist, Protestant, and like churches, set on religious practice of non-Roman Catholic, non-Eastern Orthodox churches)
[Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodoxy themed set]
["Ancient World" religion and mythology set]
[Christian fundamentalism packet]
[World Philosophy]
[Shakespeare packet/set]
["Internet Culture Tournament"]
The Thing from the Thing (all TUs whose answers are in the "X from Y" form of "the Toyotas from the Toyota War" or "The House from the House on Mango Street")
[and any ideas you have and would love to have me help make happen!]

A spreadsheet and some logistics stuff will be added to the post soon, but wanted to make an official post before I entirely forgot or the hype train departed too far away.

For now, contact me any of these ways: Discord is the best way to reach me (Clark#1199); Facebook is good too (same name and profile picture!); even private messages on the forum are good, since I check pretty often!

Looking forward to all the questions, sets, events, and people I'll get to work with and write questions for the enjoyment of!
Clark Smith
Scioto HS '18
Ohio State
csa2125
Lulu

Re: Announcing the Clark Smith + Friends Side Event Series!

Post by csa2125 »

Also, looking for a bunch of logistics help, especially because of the number of these ideas, so please reach out to me if you'd like to help organize these and make them come into fruition, whether just one or the whole series!
Clark Smith
Scioto HS '18
Ohio State
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

csa2125 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:45 pm Which of the following questions sets and packets which I am (soon!) writing would you be interested in playing, collaborating on, playtesting, proofreading, or reading, etc.?
[Science History Monstrosity]
[Video Games of Academic Interest]
Interested in playing many of these, but very interested in these ones in particular.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
excessive dismemberment
Wakka

Post by excessive dismemberment »

Similar to Mike, there's a few I'd like to play but really looking forward to the "ancient world" religion/mythology set
Rudra Ranganathan
University of Delaware
Brandeis University '23
University of Michigan '20
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

Assuming you're hoping to receive a large number of answers, and since there are so many options, maybe a Google Form-type poll would be useful?
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
csa2125
Lulu

Post by csa2125 »

Google Form now open for application and comments!

https://forms.gle/X1jHKf5rfHRiAKRt7
Clark Smith
Scioto HS '18
Ohio State
csa2125
Lulu

Post by csa2125 »

Sadly forgot to add a question about contact info in the above form (EDIT: until now), but if I have not contacted you yet and you have signed up, please feel free to reach me on FB or Discord preferably (forum as last resort if you don't have the other two, please)!

Your applications have all been accepted!
Clark Smith
Scioto HS '18
Ohio State