Quizbowl History Detectives Project: The CBI Guide

Tell your tales of bygone days and rank historical things here.
cvdwightw
Auron

Quizbowl History Detectives Project: The CBI Guide

Post by cvdwightw »

Inspired by my identification of the UIC team on the cover of "Coaching Your Team," I've decided to go ahead and look at what other teams are pictured in CBI's Program Guide. I'll need the help of Quizbowl History Detectives to figure out who many of these people are and when/where these pictures were taken.

Enterprising Quizbowl History Detectives can find the CBI all-campus program guide here (warning: pdf file) (warning: reading this guide may spoil enjoyment of future posts by "Coaching Your Team")

INTRODUCTION

Page 2: The team is labeled "Pittsburgh." The three individuals pictured do not have clearly-visible namecards, with the only readable one beginning "Wass..."; however, all three individuals re-appear on page 58, where the fourth player on the team appears to be Matt Weiner. I conjecture this is the 2001 Pitt team but have no idea who these players are.

Page 7: This appears to be a picture of the CBI trophy taken either after the 2001 season or during the 2002 season, since Michigan's 2001 title is the last plaque on the trophy.

Page 9: The individuals in the foreground appear to be the 2005 SUNY-Stony Brook team. Identification of any of the 6-8 faces in the background would be a bonus here.

Page 11: 2007 Missouri (from L-R): Michael Chesney, Joshua Chittum, Justin Myers, Jason Mueller.

Page 19: New Mexico (left) vs. Georgia (right), 2005 NCT. New Mexico team (L-R): John Ogren, Jenniffer Hammitt, Clinton Peebles, Aaron Posey. Georgia team (L-R): Noah Mink, Andrew Moore, John David Fitzgerald, Michael Staley.

Page 20: The one visible namecard indicates that this is a Truman State team from 2005 (the only year from 2005 to 2008 that Truman State participated at NCT). The player on the right is therefore Kyle Hill, and the other three are some combination of Matt Magruder, Brian Baker, Christopher Halsey, and John Scognamilio. Players from the mid-2000s Midwest circuit may be able to identify who is whom.

CAMPUS VOLUNTEERS

Page 21: This picture shows a CBI staffing team (from L-R: Reset/Timer Announcer, Scorekeeper, Judge, Moderator). This was probably taken at an NCT but I have no idea when NCT was held at a Marriott Hotel. I have no idea who these people are, either.

Page 22 (top): Florida (left) vs. Cornell (right), 2001(?) NCT. Florida team (L-R): Kevin Comer (just getting cut off), ??, John Allan. Cornel team (L-R): Anwar Kashem, Evelyn Browne, ??, ??. The moderator is Tim Woodward but I can't identify any of the other staffers.

Page 22 (bottom): I can't identify any member of the game staff or which team is playing during this game.

Page 24: Three people appearing to do computer research. I have no idea when or where this picture was taken or who is in it.

Page 25: Cornell (left) vs. Oklahoma (right), 2001(?) NCT. Cornell players pictured (L-R): Evelyn Browne, Anwar Kashem. Oklahoma players pictured (L-R): David Murphy, David Smith, Stephen Gill. I have no idea who the scoreboarder is.

GAME RULES

Page 31: A team in all-white shirts with no namecards. I do not recognize any of the players.

Page 36: This appears to be a close-up of the woman on the far right of the picture on page 31.

YOUR TOURNAMENT

Page 37: 2005 New Mexico (from L-R): Aaron Posey, Clinton Peebles, Jennifer Hammitt, John Ogren.

Page 39 (left): Florida at 2004 NCT (from L-R): Michael Swick, John Allan, Kevin Comer, Michael Napier.

Page 39 (right): 2005 Northwestern (from L-R): Vishal Saxena, Andy Wehrman, Colby Burnett, Justin Moles.

COACHING YOUR TEAM

Page 43: 2004 Illinois-Chicago (from L-R): Ankur Shah, Asad Jaleel, Robert Johnson, Hemant Mehta. The coach on the right is Rom Masrour. I have no idea who the person on Rom's right (our left) is.

Page 44 (top): 2005 Harding. This picture is unique among the pictures in this guide, in that Jason Loy is wearing the official shirt of the 2002 NAQT HSNCT. The CBI website gives the rest of that Harding team as Amanda Brown, John Kuwitzky, and Andrew Ferren. Presumably Brown, as the only female, is the one on Jason's left; perhaps someone with better knowledge of the mid-2000s Southwest circuit can identify which end player is which?

Page 44 (bottom): 2005 Minnesota (from L-R): Ryan Peterson, Ray Anderson, Matt Sauter.

Page 48 (top): David Mathias (Williams College). Year of photo suspected to be 2005 or 2007.

Page 48 (bottom): Jennifer Hoppens (University of Texas). Year of photo suspected to be 2001.

Page 50: Meredith ?? (University of Georgia). Year of photo unknown.

Page 55: UCLA at 2006 NCT (from L-R): Cliff Galiher, Jay Turetzky, Charles Meigs, Dwight Wynne.

ATTENDING THE REGIONALS

Page 58: As I stated in my analysis of the picture on Page 2, this is probably the 2001 Pitt team on the right. I have no idea who the staffers are or who the other team is.

Page 59: This appears to be a picture of two teams; I have no idea who they are.

Page 60: The presence of a too-blurry-to-make-out team name implies this picture is of a team from 2005-2008; I have no idea what that team is.

Page 61: This is a close-up of the middle two players from the team on Page 31.
Last edited by cvdwightw on Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Re: Quizbowl History Detectives Project: The CBI Guide

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

cvdwightw wrote:Page 44 (bottom): I identified this team as 2005 Minnesota. The player in the middle is Ray Anderson and Matt Sauter is on his left (our right); the player on his right (our left) might be Ryan Peterson?
Ryan Peterson it is.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

cvdwightw wrote: Page 25: I have no idea who the scoreboarder is. The team on the left has one player named Browne and one player whose name starts with "Kashe...". The team on the right has players named Murphy, Smith, and Gill. The CBI database does not have any record of a player named Gill or a player named Browne at NCT, so I have no idea who these teams are.
I might guess that the woman named "Browne" is Evelyn Browne, who played for Cornell at one point.
cvdwightw wrote:Page 39 (left): Kevin Comer is wearing a shirt from I believe 2004 CBI NCT, so I conjecture this is 2004 Florida. Someone with better knowledge than me of the early-2000s Florida circuit should be able to identify who is whom.
I think the guy on the far right is Mike Napier.

Also, one of the teams on p. 19 is the 2005 UNM team also pictured on p. 37.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

myamphigory wrote:
cvdwightw wrote: Page 25: The team on the left has one player named Browne and one player whose name starts with "Kashe...".
I might guess that the woman named "Browne" is Evelyn Browne, who played for Cornell at one point.
Confirm. The player on the right is Anwar Kashem (cf.)
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
magin
Auron

Post by magin »

cvdwightw wrote:Page 48 (top): A player in a Washington Redskins t-shirt. I have no idea who he is.
I'm fairly certain that's former St. Anselm's and Williams player David Mathias (he was a terror on Keegan questions in high school, and played CBI and NAQT in college).
Jonathan Magin
Montgomery Blair HS '04, University of Maryland '08
Editor: ACF

"noted difficulty controller"
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

magin wrote:St. Anselm's
What's this now?
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

cvdwightw wrote: Page 9: There are four individuals in the foreground of this picture; the one on the left is wearing a Stony Brook t-shirt, so I conjecture this is some year's Stony Brook team. On the hypothesis that this picture was taken at CBI Nationals, the CBI website indicates this is either the 2004 or 2005 team; identification of the student union in which this picture was taken would give the year. Identification of any of the 6-8 faces in the background would be a bonus here.
The 2004 NCT was held at Auburn; the 2005 NCT was held at Washington. From a quick google search, it appears that Washington calls their office the "Student Activities Office," as seen in the picture, while the Auburn equivalent does not.
Page 25: I have no idea who the scoreboarder is. The team on the left has one player named Browne and one player whose name starts with "Kashe...". The team on the right has players named Murphy, Smith, and Gill. The CBI database does not have any record of a player named Gill or a player named Browne at NCT, so I have no idea who these teams are.
For the RCT database (which only goes back to 2002-03), there are three players named Murphy - Lori (from Oklahoma), Nathan (from Gonzaga), and Robert (Susquehanna). Many Smiths: Alaric (CSU-Sacramento), Robert (Murray St), Eric (Stanford), Erin (Montana St - Billings), Josh (Wayne), Joseph (Albion), Nthan (Dalton State), James (New Mexico State), Daniel (Wisconsin-Platteville), Marissa (Beloit). However, Gill and Browne are still not found, so I would assume this is an RCT from prior to 2002-03, and didn't try finding which combinations attended the same RCT.
Page 37: 2005 New Mexico. Namecards and CBI website give team as (from left to right) Aaron Posey, Clinton Peebles, Jennifer Hammitt, John Ogren.
This appears to be the same as the team on the left from page 19.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15
Awehrman
Wakka

Post by Awehrman »

Interesting. I'll try to look these over when I get a bit more time on my hands. Page 39 is indeed Northwestern from 2005. Vishal Saxena (currently a med-student at U Chicago) is on the left, the second from the left is me, the third is Colby Burnett (a high school teacher in Chicago, I believe), and on the right is Justin Moles (a computer scientist likely still in the Chicago area).

The woman on the bottom of page 48 is Jennifer Hoppens, an excellent player from the University of Texas. The picture is likely from 2001.

The team on the right side of page 25 is Oklahoma. Pictured are David Murphy, David Smith, and Stephen Gill.
Andy Wehrman
(formerly of Arkansas and Northwestern)
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

Page 19: The team on the right is Georgia from 2005, and their player all the way on the left is Noah Mink, and all the way on the right is Michael Staley. The other two (don't know which) are Andrew Moore and John David Fitzgerald.

Page 22 (top): The player for Florida all the way on the right is John Allan.

Page 39 (left): Florida, left to right, is Michael Swick, John Allan, Comer, and Napier (as Susan said)
Billy Beyer, formerly of FSU
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

wd4gdz wrote:Page 19: The team on the right is Georgia from 2005, and their player all the way on the left is Noah Mink, and all the way on the right is Michael Staley. The other two (don't know which) are Andrew Moore and John David Fitzgerald.
Andrew's wearing the Hat, so from left to right it's Mink, Moore, Fitzgerald, Staley.

Page 50 is a close-up of Meredith, formerly of the UGA team and famous for accidentally insulting the Chicago team at the 2005 ICT. She and Leigh Ann, also of UGA, were featured prominently in a photo on CBI's front page for some time.
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Thanks to everyone who's participated in this project so far; I've updated the initial post with the results so far.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Jeremy Gibbs-Marangoni Effect
Lulu

Post by Jeremy Gibbs-Marangoni Effect »

As for Harding's picture, Kolby Kuwitzky is on the left end and Andrew Ferren is on the right.
Jason Loy
Missouri State '10
Harding '04-'08
Jeremy Gibbs-Marangoni Effect
Lulu

Post by Jeremy Gibbs-Marangoni Effect »

Also, the team on the left on page 59 is Valdosta State. I can't identify any of the players, although I do remember that one player was named Mike and used to play for Berry.
Jason Loy
Missouri State '10
Harding '04-'08