Remember the Women Side Event

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
aet16
Kimahri

Remember the Women Side Event

Post by aet16 »

The Girls’ Quizbowl Server is happy to introduce the Remember the Women side event!

Set Details:
This is a nats-level side event focusing on the accomplishments and stories of women throughout history to hopefully diversify the canon a little bit. As of right now, the event consists of 5 packets of 20 tossups and bonuses each, though this might expand in the future to 7 packets. Tossups are powermarked and roughly 6-7 lines long at TNR 10.

Writing and Editing:
This set is being entirely produced by the Girls’ Quiz Bowl server. The editors are the admins of the server: Ananya Tadigadapa (State College), Elsa Kinnear (NKA Homeschool Collective), and Giifti Benti (Carbondale), and the writers are: Angel, Elizabeth Grace (Raffles), Celia Johnson (Georgetown Day School), Ella Leeds (Hunter), Amanda Li (Hunter), Nikita Nair (Coppell), Kritika Ravichander (Southside), Alison Yau (Chattahoochee), Jennifer Zhou (Chattahoochee).

Distribution:
This set will mostly follow a standard distribution, however clues and answerlines will be centered around women.
3/3 Science - .8/.8 each Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Other
4/4 History - 1/1 each American, European, 2/2 World
4/4 Literature - 1/1 each American, European, 2/2 World
3/3 Fine Arts - 1/1 each Auditory, Visual, Other
2/2 RMPSS - .4/.4 each Religion, Mythology, Social Science, and Philosophy
3/3 Trash - 1/1 each Current Events, 2/2 Other
1/1 Writer’s Choice

Notes: For science tossups, the content will either focus on either female scientists or their discoveries, rather than concept-based questions, which is why the distribution was shortened. There will be no computational math. Writer’s choice tossups will be balanced over the categories, and current events tossups will have a range of January 2020 to the present.

Please message onion#2243 on Discord or email [email protected] with questions about the set.

Tournament:
We will be using Remember the Women for an online Discord tournament. Teams will consist of 2 players. The price for one duo is $16 (or $8 per player). Any money made from the tournament that isn’t going to pay staff will be donated to CAMFED. This tournament is open to any middle, high school, and college student, and teams don’t need to be made of players from the same school.

This was intended as an HSNCT side event, so we will be holding it around that time. Potential dates include May 8, May 9, May 15, May 16, May 22, May 23, and May 31. Please fill out this google form if you are interested in playing. If we have enough interest, by March 30th, we will announce the official date that it is being held on, based on the replies.

Thank you for your interest and we’re looking forward to seeing you play Remember the Women!

Ananya
Last edited by aet16 on Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ananya Tadigadapa
State College, '21
Northeastern, '25
aet16
Kimahri

Re: Remember the Women Side Event

Post by aet16 »

Hello,

GQS is happy to announce that Remember the Women will be held on Saturday, May 22, 2021, at 1 PM EST, and I will be TD. If you are interested in playing, please sign up on this spreadsheet. Our current field cap is 16 teams, though this will expand if we get more staff. If you are interested in staffing instead of playing, please DM/email me at @onion#2243 or [email protected].

Hope to see you there!
Last edited by aet16 on Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ananya Tadigadapa
State College, '21
Northeastern, '25
aet16
Kimahri

Post by aet16 »

Hi!

First, apologies that this post is like, two months after the tournament. Second, congrats to For a Dollar (Hari Parameswaran & Aidan Leahy) for winning :)) Thank you so much to everyone who played - I hope that you had a lot of fun with the set.

There are some more thanks in order - to Elsa & Giifti for editing and helping with logistics, as well as all the writers and staffers (Ryan, Sophia, Celia, Emma, Sophie, Alison, Aadi, Kushal, Seth, Albert, Nikita, Elizabeth, Angel, Ella, Amanda, & Tasis.) Through this, we have raised $92 in profits to be donated to CAMFED.

I also want to announce that we will be holding a second mirror of RTW on Sunday, August 1st, at 1:00 PM Eastern. Like before, the format will be 5 rounds of games, in teams of 2, with a cost of $16 per team or $8 per person. The signup sheet and staffer signup can be found here and here respectively. Please don’t hesitate to message me at onion#2243 on discord or email [email protected] if you have any questions. After this mirror, we are planning for the set to be released publicly.

Hope to see you there!
Ananya Tadigadapa
State College, '21
Northeastern, '25
aet16
Kimahri

Post by aet16 »

Hi!

Final RtW update: Congrats to Daniel & Ned for winning the August mirror last Sunday! I hope that everyone who played had a great time. Stats

We have donated all profits of the set from both events, $115, to CAMFED's COVID-19 response appeal, of which more information can be found here: https://camfed.org/donate/appeals/covid-19-response/.

A bunch of important thanks are in order: First, to all the other writers of the set for some wonderful and creative content, and for making this set possible. Second, to Aalok Bhattacharya, Ariel Faeder, Soren Gjesfeld, Caroline Mao, Arjun Panickssery, John John Groger, and
in particular Albert Zhang, for their playtesting feedback & editing help. And lastly, an extra special thank you to my co-editors and co-TDs Giifti Benti and Elsa Kinnear for bringing this set to life and for spending so much time perfecting the questions and organizing the tournaments with me. You all are wonderful people and I'm so glad that we got to work together to make this.

Packets will be posted here when they get approved so go check it out sometime :)). Link

Ananya
Ananya Tadigadapa
State College, '21
Northeastern, '25