Practicing with Covid restrictions

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
ewalker
Lulu

Practicing with Covid restrictions

Post by ewalker »

Hey everyone, first I apologize if this is in the wrong location. I am not on here very much.

I am looking for suggestions for team practice. I trust my team is studying as individuals but it is hard to duplicate good ol' fashioned buzzing. What are your teams doing within these restrictions to get better?

Also, is there a place in this forum where teams are looking for virtual competitions (Zoom or Discord or whatever).

Thanks!
Erik Walker, Fort Defiance High School
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

Re: Practicing with Covid restrictions

Post by High Dependency Unit »

ewalker wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:42 pm Hey everyone, first I apologize if this is in the wrong location. I am not on here very much.

I am looking for suggestions for team practice. I trust my team is studying as individuals but it is hard to duplicate good ol' fashioned buzzing. What are your teams doing within these restrictions to get better?

Also, is there a place in this forum where teams are looking for virtual competitions (Zoom or Discord or whatever).

Thanks!
Most tournaments announced in "regular season tournaments" should be virtual. Our (college) team has been practicing over discord and Zoom, and just using the chat to buzz. Not the same feeling as a buzzer but the best way to practice is to mimic the circumstances of the competitions.
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Bowdoin College (club president) '21
UhrmanRL
Kimahri

Post by UhrmanRL »

I came here looking for what other schools are doing for practices. I'm starting a new program at a high school, and I'm curious how to simulate a QB round in online groups (MS Teams is the district mandate).

The chat option is a good idea.
Robert Uhrman
East HS Quiz Bowl
Memphis, TN
ewalker
Lulu

Post by ewalker »

Thanks Michael. I tried our first discord practice this week. Some of the students need better microphones on their devices but yes it worked pretty well. Robert, I have access to a middle school team and I have a team of all underclassmen if you want to set up a friendly discord match?
Erik Walker, Fort Defiance High School