NAQT rules changes for 2020-2021

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

NAQT rules changes for 2020-2021

Post by Important Bird Area »

NAQT has made a number of changes to its rules and policies for the 2020–2021 season.

Some highlights:

-Bonus questions are now paired with tossup questions. This does not refer to content (i.e., tossups and bonuses are not related in terms of content, or if they are, it is a coincidence); it only refers to numbering and presentation. For example, if tossups 1 and 3 are answered correctly but tossup 2 is not, then bonuses 1 and 3 will be read, but bonus 2 will not be read.

-In the Middle School Eligibility Rules and High School Eligibility Rules, we added extensive rules regarding online schools and homeschools, and clarified the effect of non-online schools implementing online instruction temporarily.

Full details are here.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Atlashill
Wakka

Re: NAQT rules changes for 2020-2021

Post by Atlashill »

Important Bird Area wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:34 pmBonus questions are now paired with tossup questions. This does not refer to content (i.e., tossups and bonuses are not related in terms of content, or if they are, it is a coincidence); it only refers to numbering and presentation. For example, if tossups 1 and 3 are answered correctly but tossup 2 is not, then bonuses 1 and 3 will be read, but bonus 2 will not be read.
Can you explain what led to NAQT making this change? It was my impression from this thread that attached bonus sets would not be well-received, but that could have been selective reading on my part.
Kyle Hill—Liberty (Mo.) '03—Truman State '07
Moderator for hire based in Sedalia, Mo.
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

No player may, during the same competition year, compete for multiple homeschool co-ops, multiple online schools, or a combination of non-online (i.e., in-person) schools and homeschool co-ops and/or online schools, regardless of established affiliation. In other words, during a single competition year, a player may only represent a single homeschool co-op, a single online school, or one or more non-online schools.
Just to get the interpretation of this down, please correct if any of this is incorrect:
If a student starts the year playing at Physical School A and transfers to Physical School B, they may play for B.
If a student starts the year playing at Physical School A and transfers to Online School X, they may not play for X (could they still play for A?)
If a student starts the year playing at Physical School A and then begins home-schooling, they could not play for a co-op (but they could play solo as a homeschooler?)
If a student starts the year playing with an online school or home-school co-op and then starts attending Physical School A... then what?
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Important Bird Area

jonpin wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:31 pm Just to get the interpretation of this down, please correct if any of this is incorrect:
If a student starts the year playing at Physical School A and transfers to Physical School B, they may play for B.
Correct (the student could play for either of Physical Schools A or B, but not both at the same tournament).
If a student starts the year playing at Physical School A and transfers to Online School X, they may not play for X (could they still play for A?)
The student could not play for Online School (but could continue playing for Physical School A for the duration of the NAQT competition year).
If a student starts the year playing at Physical School A and then begins home-schooling, they could not play for a co-op (but they could play solo as a homeschooler?)
The student could not play under either form of homeschooling (but could continue playing for Physical School A for the duration of the NAQT competition year).
If a student starts the year playing with an online school or home-school co-op and then starts attending Physical School A... then what?
The student could continue playing for the online school or homeschool for the duration of the NAQT competition year, but could not play for Physical School A.

Please note Section L of our eligibility rules, which allows players in unusual situations to request exceptions to our standard policies:
NAQT eligibility rules Section L wrote:Requests for exceptions to these Eligibility Rules, and requests to evaluate unusual and/or unanticipated situations under them, must be received by the NAQT Eligibility Committee at [email protected] at least 14 calendar days before the start of the first relevant event. Retroactive requests are not considered. The request must come from the player themself, their parent or legal guardian, or a coach of their squad. When requests come from players themselves or parents/guardians, NAQT will ensure that decisions and their consequences are communicated to squad leadership.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area

Atlashill wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:59 pm
Important Bird Area wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:34 pmBonus questions are now paired with tossup questions. This does not refer to content (i.e., tossups and bonuses are not related in terms of content, or if they are, it is a coincidence); it only refers to numbering and presentation. For example, if tossups 1 and 3 are answered correctly but tossup 2 is not, then bonuses 1 and 3 will be read, but bonus 2 will not be read.
Can you explain what led to NAQT making this change? It was my impression from this thread that attached bonus sets would not be well-received, but that could have been selective reading on my part.
The primary intent of this change is to align with our announcement about online tournament hosting for fall 2020. In our preliminary work building moderating tools for online hosting, we found that it was much easier to display a single tossup-bonus cycle at a time than to have a system for keeping track of which tossups had gone unanswered earlier in the packet.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

tiwonge
Yuna

Post by tiwonge »

Is there a place where there are sample packets in this format? I checked the NAQT website, and the sample packets on the NAQT site that I checked were still in the old format where the tossups and bonuses were separate.
Colin McNamara, Boise State University
Member, PACE
Idaho Quiz & Academic Teams
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

tiwonge wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:42 am Is there a place where there are sample packets in this format? I checked the NAQT website, and the sample packets on the NAQT site that I checked were still in the old format where the tossups and bonuses were separate.
The sample packets at https://www.naqt.com/samples/ (now) use the paired format.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
tiwonge
Yuna

Post by tiwonge »

Thanks!
Colin McNamara, Boise State University
Member, PACE
Idaho Quiz & Academic Teams