2020-21 PACE Writing Mentorship Program

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Tejas
Rikku

2020-21 PACE Writing Mentorship Program

Post by Tejas »

PACE is pleased to announce the continuation of our mentorship program for new writers.

Program Details

The program is scheduled for October 5 through January 17. Over the course of that period, mentees admitted into the program will be expected to complete 24 questions and a self-reflection, with mentoring and feedback being provided by experienced writers and editors.

Because the 2020 NSC was cancelled and the already-mostly-complete 2020 NSC question set will be used for the 2021 NSC, questions written during the program will likely not be used in that set. However, all questions will be eligible for use in the 2022 NSC and beyond, and writers will be paid accordingly.

Selection to the program is completely anonymous and is based solely on the quality of the application. We encourage eligible people of all backgrounds, genders, ages, and experience levels to apply.

The number of admissions may be limited by program resources, with priority decided by application quality.

Eligibility

Anyone who has graduated high school and is not coaching any NSC-eligible team may apply. No previous writing experience is required. Anyone who was not accepted or did not complete the program last year remains eligible to apply.

Those who have successfully written or edited for collegiate sets may be deemed overqualified for the program and can inquire with me if the mentorship program is appropriate.

Application

Applications consist of contact and personal information, expectations for the program, and a writing sample of 4 tossups and 4 bonuses in NSC format. Full guidelines for applications can be found here.

Please pay special attention to the formatting guidelines in the document above.

The application form can be found here. The application will be due September 27, 2020.

Question Security

Application questions for those accepted into the mentorship program may potentially be used in an NSC set, so do not discuss application questions with anyone at any point. Questions may not have been written for or used in any previous set, submitted for any previous application or packet, or seen by anyone apart from the applicant.

Questions

If you have any questions, post on this thread and for any private questions you can message me or email me at [email protected].

Becoming a Mentor

If you are interested in serving as a mentor, please fill out this form.
Tejas Raje
Cornell '14
Tejas
Rikku

Re: 2020-21 PACE Writing Mentorship Program

Post by Tejas »

I have added a link to the application form, please fill that out and add your questions there. I have also added a form for those interested in serving as mentors at the end, please fill that out if you are interested and let me know if you have any questions about the program.
Tejas Raje
Cornell '14
Tejas
Rikku

Post by Tejas »

Just a reminder that there are a little over three weeks before applications are due.
Tejas Raje
Cornell '14
Tejas
Rikku

Post by Tejas »

Today is the last day, please get your applications in tonight.
Tejas Raje
Cornell '14
Tejas
Rikku

Post by Tejas »

This year's program has concluded, I want to congratulate our graduates:

Alyssa Jorgensen
Charles Yang
Ridge Ren
Chauncey Lo

I also want to give thanks to the following people:

Ophir Lifshitz and Victor Prieto who were invaluable as part of the mentorship committee.

Mike Bentley for his work both as head editor and as a mentor.

Matt Bollinger, Jordan Brownstein, Jaimie Carlson, Taylor Harvey, Aseem Keyal, Rahul Keyal, Shan Kothari, Benji Nguyen, Ryan Rosenberg, Andrew Wang and Jennie Yang, who served as mentors and took the time to train and support new writers.

Thanks again to all of the mentees for their hard work and dedication to improving. I would highly recommend all of them as writers for future sets.
Tejas Raje
Cornell '14