Suggest new threads for the Best of the Best subforum

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Suggest new threads for the Best of the Best subforum

Post by AKKOLADE »

The Best of the Best subforum is a collection of the most useful threads on the forums. The idea behind it when I created it was to store these very useful threads together in one easy to find area.

The last serious thread it has in it, however, dates back to 2013 - as fun as the VCU Open travel thread is, I know Max has made posts that are way more informative in fields other than "what traveling with John Lawrence is like."

Please go back through the forums' archives since the start of 2013 and find threads that you think contain particularly useful information. When you find a good one, post a link to it in this thread. Discuss other peoples' suggestions and if you think it's worthy or not. This will hopefully help the admins update the subforum.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
RexSueciae
Tidus

Re: Suggest new threads for the Best of the Best subforum

Post by RexSueciae »

One of my favorite threads since 2013 was the Making Interesting Geography Questions thread of 2014. I remember this, actually, because I've been consulting it as part of my writing for EMT. Even discounting the discussion, it's a pretty great thread for "things what ought to come up besides name the tallest mountains"-type suggestions.

Dunno about other subject-specific threads since then, which I don't feel got as deeply into the core mechanics of a subject or have had an appreciable affect as of 2017. Will Alston's more recent Writing Good History Questions thread had some interesting points, but I don't know how many people have taken them up just yet.
Vasa Clarke

Maggie Walker '14
Virginia '18
William and Mary '21
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Post by A Dim-Witted Saboteur »

Maybe put Matt Jackson's big future stuff in there so it's more accessible for new players?
Jakob M. (they/them)
Michigan State '21, Indiana '2?
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
nitzuga
Lulu

Post by nitzuga »

Eric Mukherjee's Becoming and Being a Great Science Player should definitely be considered. Wacky Practice Formats has some fun/ good ideas but I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for.
Agustin Garcia
Harrison HS 2017, MIT 2021
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

JakobeanEra wrote:Maybe put Matt Jackson's big future stuff in there so it's more accessible for new players?
Link to 'em.
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Here you go for Matt's series.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
heterodyne
Rikku

Post by heterodyne »

I do actually think that the best humor content of the forums does belong in there, since it's just the "best of the best," but having more useful threads there would be cool.
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
Bloomington High School '15
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Post by A Dim-Witted Saboteur »

I'm no forum expert, but it seems as if we've given the mods several actionable suggestions that aren't being acted on.
EDIT: This post was overly impatient and in general a dumb thing to say.
Last edited by A Dim-Witted Saboteur on Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jakob M. (they/them)
Michigan State '21, Indiana '2?
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I'm not a moderator, but jeez, this thread was just created a couple of days ago.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

JakobeanEra wrote:I'm no forum expert, but it seems as if we've given the mods several actionable suggestions that aren't being acted on.
I used to be the chief admin, and this kind of stuff drove me crazy.

I say the following in a "I was in this situation and it sucked" way and not a "this is a board ruling" way: Don't do this.
Fred Morlan
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

Post some candidates in the thread, and we'll move the good ones into the subforum. For what it's worth, forum admins aren't necessarily going to act within two days on something like this; although it would be nice to get more posts into that subforum, it's not exactly a pressing need, and I would much rather wait for a consensus on some good posts to emerge and migrate them all at once, as opposed to moving a couple at a time.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Susan

Post by Susan »

I'd second Andrew's suggestion to post threads you'd like to see in the Best of the Best subforum in this thread. It looks like we had a few posts submitted via the board's report function; since we try to reserve that for posts that need some kind of disciplinary action, I'm going to close those reports and note the posts here:

Matt Jackson's post entitled "The Big Vision: Setting an Agenda for the Next 5-10 Years of Quizbowl Growth"
Will Alston's post on writing good history questions
Eric Mukherjee's post on becoming and being a great science player
Dwight Wynne's post on wacky practice formats
Matt Jackson's post on writing interesting geography questions
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

Magin's music editing thread still has a lot of life in it, I think. (And the ideas are applicable to many categories.)

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... =9&t=15161
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

There are a lot of great suggestions in this thread. It would be awesome if they were added to Best of the Best.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Susan

Post by Susan »

Everything should be added now. Please feel free to continue to suggest threads, though.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF