Quizbowl Resource Center Blog

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Quizbowl Resource Center Blog

Post by Stained Diviner »

If you go to the front page of the Quizbowl Resource Center that this forum is a part of, there is a prominent link to a Blog promising "Season previews, top team polls, and more."

If you click the link, you can see a preview of the 2015-16 season, which is the most recent post. If you keep reading, you can see Matt Jackson's 2014-15 Midseason Preview, which is the 2nd most recent post. That post was made just after Matt Weiner's announcement of high school poll results.

Can somebody either get rid of that link or make the blog worth keeping?
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
ashwin99
Lulu

Re: Quizbowl Resource Center Blog

Post by ashwin99 »

Maybe it could replaced with a link to hsqbrank?
Ashwin Ramaswami
Communications Director, ACF (2018-2019)
Stanford University (2017-2021), Chattahoochee High School (2013-2017)

Try this free mobile app Tycho: Play Quizbowl and Science Bowl to study or read packets while on the go.
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Post by A Dim-Witted Saboteur »

Or maybe people could, like, post stuff about quiz bowl on it?
Jakob M. (they/them)
Michigan State '21, Indiana '2?
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
bluejay123
Lulu

Post by bluejay123 »

JakobeanEra wrote:Or maybe people could, like, post stuff about quiz bowl on it?
LOL Myers. Too obvious to be a solution.
Jaya Alagar
bretthogan43
Lulu

Post by bretthogan43 »

Another obvious one, but maybe somebody could start a brand new blog series?
Brett Hogan
former player, Wallace State Community College
Athens State University alumni
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

bretthogan43 wrote:Another obvious one, but maybe somebody could start a brand new blog series?
That's what I was trying to get at in my earlier post. People already write stuff about quizbowl in a lot of different locations; why not centralize it?
Jakob M. (they/them)
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
Stained Diviner
Auron

It would be great if someone from board staff could make a post, even if it is something along the lines of "We're talking about this and will have something to say later this month" or "Here are some great reasons to have a front page link to a dead blog" or "We are willfully ignoring this thread." I know it's only been a little over two days since my original post, but I also sent a message in January that received no response.

Speaking of sending messages to board staff, it would be great if the Rules and General Announcements had a list of board staff with a better title than "Board staff in 2014-15". While I'm at it, I might as well mention that there are two threads stickied in the Databases and Quizbowl Software subforum, and one of them is for a site that died in 2012 and has a URL that goes to a site that is difficult for me to describe because I do not understand Japanese. There is also a thread stickied in the Regular Season Tournaments subforum to discuss a problem that was solved in 2009. I hope that pointing these things out won't distract from a discussion of the blog.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Also there hasn't been anything in the "Best of the Best" section since 2014. I find it difficult to believe that people stopped making good threads on this forum then. This brings me to a slightly larger point: if stuff like the blog and BotB are only present for archival purposes so people can learn what Matt Weiner thought about stuff ca. 2012, they're fairly redundant: we have his entire post history for that. If they're not, and if this forum is to be properly used, a bit of maintenance once in awhile wouldn't hurt.
Jakob M. (they/them)
-Ankit Aggarwal
Stained Diviner
Auron

JakobeanEra wrote:Also there hasn't been anything in the "Best of the Best" section since 2014.
Let's not suggest projects for them that would take a moderate amount of time when they aren't willing to do things that would take very little time. Keep your expectations reasonable.
David Reinstein
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Big Y wrote:Let's not suggest projects for them that would take a moderate amount of time when they aren't willing to do things that would take very little time. Keep your expectations reasonable.
Here's a list of things that would be necessary to alleviate these problems
1) Browse forum occasionally
2) Notice good threads and out-of-date information
3) Use mod magic to move things listed in (2)
This process does not seem too labor-intensive (unless you take the completely fair position that browsing the forums counts as "labor")

I realize the tone of this post and this thread overall may be a bit too harsh as regards what are largely cosmetic annoyances, but the part Mr. Reinstein specified about the outdated website stickied in the Software section could actually present issues to teams in the future. That, at least, should be rectified as soon as possible.
Jakob M. (they/them)
-Ankit Aggarwal
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

ashwin99 wrote:Maybe it could replaced with a link to hsqbrank?
Nah. There's better options here.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

As a former moderator, I would note that the job is much more difficult than you might think. It's an unpaid time sink in an activity dominated by time sinks--for example, when I was working full-time, I was not exactly jazzed to get home, write/edit quizbowl questions and moderate the forums (and I had a fairly open schedule compared to people who work 9 to 5 jobs). Furthermore, people have unrealistic ideas about how quickly the board should be policed and monitored--I remember getting various angry e-mails and PM's from people demanding why private forums weren't created (which only admins, not moderators, can do) or why I hadn't responded to or deleted such and such post. It's a volunteer position that demands a lot of time; that's not an excuse for falling behind at times (which I'll readily admit happens), but people should give the board staff some patience and discretion.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Being an admin ain't great.
Fred Morlan
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

AKKOLADE wrote:Being an admin ain't great.
Sorry; sometimes I forget that not everyone has limitless free time like me.
Jakob M. (they/them)
-Ankit Aggarwal
Stained Diviner
Auron

Some of the old stickies are now gone, so thanks to whoever did that.
David Reinstein
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

We're in the process of clearing some of the old detritus at the moment!
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Stained Diviner
Auron

Does anybody have any idea what is going to happen with the blog or the link to it?
David Reinstein
hokie168
Lulu

Post by hokie168 »

Big Y wrote:Does anybody have any idea what is going to happen with the blog or the link to it?
Well, assuming that the Internet at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare isn't completely hosed, and that a couple things that seem to be wonky with Wordpress get fixed, I'll be putting live updates from ICT's afternoon top bracket rounds on the blog tomorrow.
Dennis Loo
Former coach at TJ and IMSA
Former player at UVA and Virginia Tech
Stained Diviner
Auron

Thanks for doing that.
David Reinstein
hokie168
Lulu

Post by hokie168 »

I'll once again be liveblogging ICT, starting either Round 3 or Round 4 depending on where they're at when I get off work. I'll be following the top bracket for playoffs/superplayoffs. Let me know if you have any requests for which games you want me to watch.
Dennis Loo
Former coach at TJ and IMSA
Former player at UVA and Virginia Tech