NAQT's tournament notification system

Anything that's on topic but doesn't fit elsewhere, including related events that might be of interest to quizbowl players.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

NAQT's tournament notification system

Post by Important Bird Area »

NAQT is pleased to announce its new tournament notification system.

Coaches and players can now subscribe to email notifications of nearby tournaments. You can choose what level(s) of tournament (middle school, high school, community college, and/or four-year college) you would like to receive notifications about and set what distance your team is willing to travel.

This service will operate during the school year. Email notifications are grouped so that recipients get no more than one notification per day.

An account on naqt.com is required to use this service; creating an account is free and fast.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
alexdz
Rikku

Re: NAQT's tournament notification system

Post by alexdz »

First, let me say I really think this is a good idea and a great tool for people to find tournaments. As a staffer, this is particularly useful to find events nearby that may be looking for additional help.

However, I am not a fan of this tool's limitation of notifications based on organizations with which I have a current affiliation. For instance, I'd be interested in knowing when events come up that are being hosted near my hometown, for instance, but I don't have a current affiliation with a quizbowl organization there. Is there a rationale behind not allowing folks to get notifications based on any location they specify?
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

alexdz wrote:Is there a rationale behind not allowing folks to get notifications based on any location they specify?
Pretty much just that the staffing application didn't occur to me until Jeff and I were writing the public announcement and he said "what about staff?" :grin:

I've noted a feature request to make this possible in some fashion, but it'll probably be a fair amount of effort, so I don't anticipate being able to do that before next summer.

You can look for events near any zip code of your choice using the schedule page, but I concede that's not as great as e-mailed notifications.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

It is now possible to subscribe to notifications of tournaments based anywhere, by entering a zip code. You can also still get notifications based on an organization you're affiliated with.

This is a bit experimental (it's tough to get a latitude and longitude out of whatever people choose to enter), so please let us know (and bear with us) if there are any issues.

This is all still controlled from the Tournament Notification Subscription page (naqt.com account required).
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments