Writing for NAQT: policy changes; new payment rates

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Writing for NAQT: policy changes; new payment rates

Post by Important Bird Area »

naqt.com wrote:NAQT produces lots of question sets, and we are always in need of new writers; if you enjoy writing questions and would like to be paid for doing so, please consider applying as a contract writer. Starting this year, NAQT requires applicants to be 18 years old and to possess a high school diploma (or equivalent). NAQT will review applications from June 1 through July 31, so submit yours quickly!
Full details
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Re: Writing for NAQT: policy changes

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Is there a stated reason for this change?
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

Matthew J wrote:Is there a stated reason for this change?
There are a couple things feeding into this, but I think the main impetus for the "18 years old + HS diploma" bit is that we've had to deal with some shenanigans involving inappropriate use of writer accounts, so we would like for our writers to be able to sign meaningful contracts (and we very much hope that we'll have no more shenanigans, not that being 18+ and having a high school diploma is a guarantee of responsible, reasonable behavior). And the main impetus for the "open application season is June/July" is that reviewing applications and mentoring the applicants we accept takes up a ton of time; we can most easily afford that time in the summer and early fall.

-Seth
Seth Teitler
Formerly UC Berkeley and U. Chicago
President of NAQT
Emeritus member of ACF
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Also, it seems this likely ends any worry about people writing for a difficulty level they may later age into. If a high school senior writes something for SCT and it isn't used that year, it's unusable for at least four years and possibly longer.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Important Bird Area

naqt.com wrote:NAQT has raised the rates it pays contract writers for the 2015-16 season. Writers may now earn between $3.35 and $6.00 per tossup and between $2.50 and $4.50 per bonus (depending on the difficulty level of the question and the writer's experience). We want to give the best writers every possible incentive to produce questions for our packets! Writers may write in any subject(s) and at any level(s) they like, from middle school through collegiate nationals, with no quotas or other restrictions.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Tees-Exe Line
Tidus

Post by Tees-Exe Line »

bird bird bird bird bird wrote:
naqt.com wrote:NAQT has raised the rates it pays contract writers for the 2015-16 season. Writers may now earn between $3.35 and $6.00 per tossup and between $2.50 and $4.50 per bonus (depending on the difficulty level of the question and the writer's experience). We want to give the best writers every possible incentive to produce questions for our packets! Writers may write in any subject(s) and at any level(s) they like, from middle school through collegiate nationals, with no quotas or other restrictions.
I would be very interested in your (anonymized) payroll data before and after.
Marshall I. Steinbaum

Oxford University (2002-2005)
University of Chicago (2008-2014)
University of Utah (2019- )

Get in the elevator.
Important Bird Area

Re: Writing for NAQT: policy changes; new payment rates

naqt.com wrote:The deadline for submitting an application to NAQT to become a contract writer for the 2015–16 competition year is August 1. Note that potential writers must have a high school diploma and have turned 18 on or prior to their date of application.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF