Science Bowl Moderating

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Golran
Auron

Science Bowl Moderating

Post by Golran »

A week from Saturday I'm going to be moderating at a regional science bowl tournament, and as a part of the training they told us not to give the correct answer if neither team buzzes in during the question, just move on to the next tossup without giving the answer to the question that just went dead (but do reveal it if at least one team put forth a guess). I was wondering if any of you who played Science Bowl more recently know what the proper procedure is; I can't find anything in their official rules about this, but I find it ridiculous not to reveal the answer after a question goes dead.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Bosa of York
Rikku

Re: Science Bowl Moderating

Post by Bosa of York »

Everything about Science Bowl is ridiculous and terrible. Act according to the dictates of your conscience, but if anyone tells you specifically to do things differently, follow. I recall having moderators say the answers to dead questions.
Eric Wolfsberg
Bethlehem Central High School 2016
University of Delaware 2020
Stanford 2025 or whatever
Cassian
Lulu

Post by Cassian »

At our regional (and at nationals as I recall), they don't reveal answers to ANY missed questions during games. They will tell you missed answers if you ask after a game is over, but that's it.

Sci Bowl has some really complex rules, but if your regional is run anything like the one at A&M, they will give you a ton of help in the room (science judge, scorer, recognizer, rules judge, etc.). Hopefully someone there will be able to guide you in the right direction. Best thing I can tell you is to try and let go of your QB moderating instincts and go with the flow.
Jason Flowers
Quiz Bowl Coach
The Liberal Arts and Science Academy
Austin, TX
Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant
Yuna

Post by Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant »

Will we get an update as to exactly how "ridiculous and terrible" the event was?
Farrah Bilimoria
Formerly of Georgia Tech and Central High School (Macon)
tiwonge
Yuna

Post by tiwonge »

Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant wrote:Will we get an update as to exactly how "ridiculous and terrible" the event was?
The most ridiculous thing I have about it is multiple choice questions. (And multiple choice questions that must be answered word-for-word, if they are not simply answered with the letter of the choice.)
Colin McNamara, Boise State University
Member, PACE
Idaho Quiz & Academic Teams
jdd2007
Lulu

Post by jdd2007 »

JDurst
Ohio State