Indiana 2021-22

The comparison and discussion forum for Ohio, Michigan, West Virginia, Indiana, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri and Oklahoma.
L.H.O.O.Q.
Wakka

Indiana 2021-22

Post by L.H.O.O.Q. »

Here's a thread for discussion of the 2021-22 Indiana quizbowl scene.

I'll kick it off with something notable I noticed on the IASP's webpage: it appears they will be attempting to start hosting middle school events this year. This would mark Indiana middle schools' first-ever exposure to quizbowl. I don't know how many teams they will field (I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's more than eight), but this seems like a move that will hopefully enrich Indiana's quizbowl culture in the long-term.
Sarah Benner
Avon HS 2013-17, Purdue 2017-21
Unofficial QB Advisor for Purdue, Ohio State, and the State of Indiana

May refer to herself in the third person.
L.H.O.O.Q.
Wakka

Re: Indiana 2021-22

Post by L.H.O.O.Q. »

Hey everyone,

This is going to be tough with the community currently so isolated, but I've thrown together a Google form where you can rank the teams and players this year. You only need to rank the top 3 teams and the top 1 player, but I strongly recommend you try to honestly fill out the rest of the poll, as that gives a better picture of the current INQB community.
Sarah Benner

L.H.O.O.Q.
Wakka

Post by L.H.O.O.Q. »

Hi everyone. After a week of polling, I've consolidated the results for the Indiana teams and players polls. Thanks to our voters: Sarah Benner, Austin Guo, Tanay Acharya, Neal Joshi, Raymond Pan, Nolan Jones, and Ben Obert.

Top 10 Indiana HSQB Teams
1: Carmel A (135, highest #1, lowest #2)
2: St. Joseph A (80, highest #2, ranked on 6 ballots)
3: Carmel B (71, highest #2, lowest #4)
4: North Central (43, highest #2, ranked on 5 ballots)
5: Culver Academies (30, highest #4, ranked on 5 ballots)
6. Harrison A (26, highest #4, ranked on 5 ballots)
7. Carmel C (20, highest #4, ranked on 4 ballots)
8. Carmel D (20, highest #1, ranked on 1 ballot (Tanay Acharya presumably plays on Carmel D))
9. Center Grove (10, highest #6, ranked on 3 ballots)
10. Rensselaer Central (8, highest #7, ranked on 3 ballots)
Also receiving votes: St. Joseph B (4, highest #8, ranked on 2 ballots), Greenfield-Central (4, highest #7, ranked on 1 ballot), Avon (2, highest #9, ranked on 1 ballot), Harrison B (2, highest #9, ranked on 1 ballot)

Top 5 Indiana HSQB Players
1. Akash Bhowmik (60, highest #1, ranked on 6 ballots)
2. Shrithan Sandadi (36, highest #2, ranked on 6 ballots)
3. Sam Thomas (19, highest #3, ranked on 5 ballots)
4. Archit Kalra (17, highest #3, ranked on 5 ballots)
5. Tanay Acharya (10, highest #1, ranked on 1 ballot)
Also receiving votes: Nolan Jones (4, highest #5, ranked on 2 ballots), Akshay Guttikonda (3, highest #4, ranked on 1 ballot), Austin Guo (2, highest #5, ranked on 1 ballot), Henley Lynch (2, highest #5, ranked on 1 ballot), Jashun Paluru (2, highest #5, ranked on 1 ballot)

Thank you to everyone who voted - even Tanay, whose ballot consisted solely of Carmel D as the best team in the state and themself as the best player. Hope to see these teams and players in action at the Boilermaker Buzzathon in December!
Sarah Benner

quynh mccool
Lulu

Post by quynh mccool »

The Purdue University Quiz Bowl Team is hosting the 6th Annual Boilermaker Buzzathon tournament in-person for Indiana high schools on December 11th, 2021. Please see this post for more details.
Quynh Phung (she/they)

Purdue University (2020-present)
Plano East Senior High School (2016-2020)
L.H.O.O.Q.
Wakka

Post by L.H.O.O.Q. »

Hey y'all. With the Buzzathon in the rear view, here are my thoughts on team rankings.

1. Carmel A
There is just no doubt whatsoever that Carmel is the best team in the state. After their showing on ARCADIA at Reinstein Varsity, I'd even go as far as to say they're one of the best teams in the country. Their roster features likely three of the top five players in the state in Shrithan, Akash, and Archit, along with a rotation of elite players to slot into their fourth roster spot. Right - and they scored over 600 points per game at the Buzzathon without Shrithan OR Archit. This team gets better than we've even seen!

2. St. Joseph A
I had some doubts as to how high they could reach with 3/4 of their A team graduating at once, but, much like Tomas a few years prior, Sam has emerged as a genuine one-man wrecking crew. He showed flashes of it last year, emerging late to lead the team in scoring at ONCT, but he's come in at the right time to keep St. Joe a top contender. However, while they held up well against Carmel at the Buzzathon, this team is untested, both in question difficulty and strength of schedule. We'll have to see how they scale as the year continues.

3. Carmel B
Yes, seriously! After their top three, Carmel still has tons of talent, including Jordan, Austin, Raymond, and Nolan. Those four combine to make a team that can beat pretty much any team in the state, and they're all in rotation for the fourth spot on the A team.

4. Culver A
After a few years on the fringes of Indiana quizbowl eliteness, Culver has burst back onto the scene with a vengeance. Their roster features a top Indiana player in Julian, plus an army of competent underclassmen such as Teddy, Mei, Tobias, and Aakrit. This team's ceiling is very high going into the next couple years.

5. North Central A
Probably my hottest take at the start of the year was that North Central was the second-best team in the country. I'm less sure of that now, but I'm sticking to my guns. Akshay lit up state as a freshman, and he has three more years to develop into a genuine superstar. With Harrison's team sadly folding this year, I believe North Central can establish itself as a perennial top-4 finisher at state.

I'd like to give honorable mentions to the teams coming off of hiatuses: Hamilton Southeastern, Zionsville, and North White each impressed at the Buzzathon, and I look forward to seeing those teams re-establish themselves as Indiana quizbowl regulars. And I would especially like to honor Guerin, for whom this was their first quizbowl tournament ever. They cleaned up shop in consolation, and I think they're going to make some noise next semester.

Coming up next semester:
Month Day, Year: Tournament Name | Set | Location
January 22, 2022: IASP Senior Area Contests | IS-209A | Carmel, Center Grove, Crown Point, Homestead, St. Joseph
February 26, 2022: IASP Junior State Championship | MS-42 | Online
March 5, 2022: IASP Senior State Finals | IS-210 | Purdue
March 6, 2022 (tentative): Indiana NASAT Qualifier | MRNA VACCINE | Online (tentative)
Sometime March-April: Unnamed HS Tournament | Boilermaker Spring Novice | Purdue (tentative)
Sarah Benner

L.H.O.O.Q.
Wakka

Post by L.H.O.O.Q. »

The IASP Area tournaments happened this weekend. I still need to get all the scoresheets to me before I can make statistical writeups, but we have the list of teams that made State, and we can use the info the IASP has released to determine their seeding. If nobody drops, then the tournament's first round will look like:

1 Carmel vs 16 McCutcheon
8 Indiana Academy vs 9 John Adams
4 Herron vs 13 Sullivan
5 Culver vs 12 Chesterton
3 North Central vs 14 Fishers
6 Hamilton SE vs 11 Center Grove
2 St. Joseph vs 15 Valparaiso
7 Crown Point vs 10 Andrean

The biggest surprise here is no doubt Herron, who have never played quizbowl before and immediately averaged 350 points per game at their first tournament. That's an exciting development!
Sarah Benner

ParanoidAndroid
Kimahri

Post by ParanoidAndroid »

The Carmel quiz bowl team will be hosting the Boilermaker Spring Tournament, a HS mirror of Boilermaker Spring Novice, on April 30 at Carmel High School. For more information about the tournament, please check this post.
Last edited by ParanoidAndroid on Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Austin Guo
Carmel '22
Princeton '26