North Carolina 2021-22

This forum is for discussion and comparisons for southern states, including Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Florida, Arkansas and Louisiana.
adsharma
Kimahri

North Carolina 2021-22

Post by adsharma »

New year, new season of Quizbowl. I guess someone should start this thread.
Aditya Sharma

RCHS '23
The Blind Prophet
Lulu

Re: North Carolina 2021-22

Post by The Blind Prophet »

I don't know a ton about most high school teams in NC these days, but East Chapel Hill definitely comes out of the gate best team in the state, with BMB being one of the best players in the country. Enloe returns Chinmay if I recall correctly, so them and TJ Classical, who return everyone from their 7th place run at SSNCT, are probably next. NCSSM gain Bo Chi I believe and retain Samanyu Dixit from their very strong team last year, and will probably add some other solid players as well. Early College at Guilford retain most of their team i think from their 17th place run at SSNCT, so I would put them in the next tier. Raleigh Charter return some people probably but have no HSNCT stats due to incidents there so I am not as sure on them.
Jonathan Shauf
TJ Classical 2020
UNC Chapel Hill 2024

adsharma
Kimahri

Post by adsharma »

I feel like I should maybe take this opportunity to shill my team, Raleigh Charter, a bit considering the lack of HSNCT stats from last year, due to reasons. Raleigh Charter had a very strong finish at ONCT last year, finishing 15th without Dan, and although Raleigh Charter lost strong seniors Ekartha, Matthew, and Arkin this year, we still retain a strong core lineup that covers most of the distribution. We have strong Literature/Myth main Ivan, strong History/geo player John, along with really good generalists Vipul and Nilay. I think I remain a good science and fine arts player as well. Overall, I think Raleigh Charter definitely remains in strong contention with several other good teams this year for that highly competitive #2 spot in the state.
Aditya Sharma

RCHS '23
moondancermadi
Kimahri

Post by moondancermadi »

Hi all :party:

I'm a current junior and captain of a team in NC this year. Our coach of many years retired this year, leaving the team with a teacher that doesn't know much about quizbowl outside of NCASA championship tournaments. Has anyone got any advice on what other tournaments we could expect around here? We were at STEM Early College's Aggie Open in 2019, but otherwise I have no experience. Any other things to know about quizbowl in NC would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
Atkins '23
Madi G
:party:
bkmcavoybickford
Wakka

Post by bkmcavoybickford »

moondancermadi wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:33 pm Hi all :party:

I'm a current junior and captain of a team in NC this year. Our coach of many years retired this year, leaving the team with a teacher that doesn't know much about quizbowl outside of NCASA championship tournaments. Has anyone got any advice on what other tournaments we could expect around here? We were at STEM Early College's Aggie Open in 2019, but otherwise I have no experience. Any other things to know about quizbowl in NC would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
With COVID and all, the tournament situation in NC is pretty weird. UNC will be hosting one called the Tarheel Cup (viewtopic.php?t=25788) on April 16. It's in person at UNC; my team has always enjoyed going to it. We're also seeing if we can host one in late April but currently it doesn't look too likely. Unfortunately, I don't know of any more over your way. There are also some online tournaments, but most of them aren't limited to NC so you would be playing teams from across the country. The AQBL runs a lot of them, including one with a division for new players on April 3. There are also the national tournaments like HSNCT; I assume NAQT sent someone from your team an e-mail about that since you qualified, but if they didn't, here's the link: https://www.naqt.com/hsnct/.

I'm not sure if you already know about this, but if you don't, there's a North Carolina quiz bowl Discord server. I can try to send you a link to it later. It sometimes has tournament announcements, but they are also generally around here.

Feel free to ask any further questions that you have, and good luck with your team!
Benjamin McAvoy-Bickford.